V NOSE UNCONVENTIONAL APPROACH

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: V NOSE UNCONVENTIONAL APPROACH

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 am

Not curved edges, cured edges. The PL300 is an air/moisture cured product. If you spread it out evenly the areas around the edges that are exposed to air cure rapidly. This causes an air seal and keeps the inner part of the field from curing.
The inner part away from the edges stays wet and doesn't adhere much at all.

This product is only intended to, essentially, tack the foam in place on a wall until you come back with your finish panels and mechanically (nail, staple, screw) attach them to the substrate, thus also mechanically securing the foam. Also by design, if used per OEM instructions, if you were doing a demo, the foam would be relatively easy to tear out, just a few beaded areas to scrape off.

Most of us foamies are looking for more of a unitized construction method where the foam helps hold the panel rigid to form a stressed skin, or structural diaphragm.

I suppose that's a little off track for your build purposes, but I figure everyone is watching, right?
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info on the PL300 KC, not going that route.

Vnose, I'm going with 3M78 spray, it's their polystyrene insulation adhesive.
As far as the head/shower, I'm building a shower curtain rod to hook on the side of the camper and a flexible wooden door mat/rug thingy to stay out of the mud, if I can find one big enough, or I'll be cutting lots and lots of little blocks and wiring them together. For me the commode can slide under the camper to shower.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Vnose » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:39 pm

Thanks again everyone!

Jasen, we have used 3M spray many times. It worked very well in customizing vans, putting material on foam backings for wall and ceilings. Use a heavy dose, allow it to get tacky, then apply then press and roller over it to ensure full contact.

Well summer chores, honey do's and beer kept me from getting anything done on the trailer. I did however make Amazon a bit richer buying stuff for the trailer.

Bought a bucket/bag potty system that looks like a toilet, it's about 4" too short for us, need to put it on a higher platform and can't think of what the underneath space could be used for. (?)

Got an 8' awning, haven't even opened the box, so that's another project.

Got a Bluetti 2000 watt solar genset, won't have to mess with batteries really, 600 watts of panels, not sure I want to make that "portable" or mount panels on the roof?

Still not set on a floor plan, I thought I had one and then saw a front bed arrangement that put the kitchen to the rear, being close to the ramp/deck would be handy. But anything in the rear 6-8 feet needs to fold up to the wall so my trike will fit.

That's where I am now :?
Vnose
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques