Interior Finish Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Interior Finish Question

Postby Onajourney » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Been researching interior finishes for the walnut and baltic plywood. I am down to a satin spar urethane due to my large clear "star gazer" window. Am I good to go or is there something else I should consider? I just want a clear non-yellowing satin finish that is relatively easy to put on.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Re: Interior Finish Question

Postby bdosborn » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:49 pm

I use Minwax polycrylic satin for interior finishes using a Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer to apply it. Best finish I've ever been able to pull off, much easier than spar urethane to use.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mhnudi » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:16 am

bdosborn wrote:I use Minwax polycrylic satin for interior finishes using a Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer to apply it. Best finish I've ever been able to pull off, much easier than spar urethane to use.

Bruce

I also have had great luck spraying on this Minwax polycrylic finish on a variety of projects, kitchen tables, cabinets, etc. Works well and pretty tolerant when spraying.
mhnudi
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onajourney » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:07 pm

Thanks bdosborn! Headed to HF right now to pickup a sprayer and give it a go. Any tips for spraying? PSI ? I have limited experience with spraying.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:10 pm

It is surprisingly easy. I set my line pressure to 40 psi. There's a couple of knobs on the side of the sprayer that you'll need to tweak to get the spray pattern you want. You probably wont have to fiddle with it again after you get it setup. I usually do three coats and sand very lightly between each coat. Don't skip the sanding, it doesn't turn very good if you do. I pour the leftover paint out of the sprayer back in the can and clean it out in the sink between each coat.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:57 pm

bdosborn wrote:It is surprisingly easy. I set my line pressure to 40 psi. There's a couple of knobs on the side of the sprayer that you'll need to tweak to get the spray pattern you want. You probably wont have to fiddle with it again after you get it setup. I usually do three coats and sand very lightly between each coat. Don't skip the sanding, it doesn't turn very good if you do. I pour the leftover paint out of the sprayer back in the can and clean it out in the sink between each coat.
Bruce

Well thanks for the suggestions. The gun was only $30 and works very well with the Polycrylic. Only down side I learned after I sprayed the first coat is you need to wait 24 hours before the next coat. Not a biggy. I got plenty of other things to do. And being water based is huge for me.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:25 pm

Hmmm,I've been applying coats every two hours. :thinking:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:27 pm

I totally misread the can. It is only 2 hours between coats. My eyes just aren't what they used to be.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:07 pm

General Finishes High performance W/B is crystal clear once dry, vary forgiving in it's application, easy to touch up, and the only retail available W/B finish that the Mfg says you can use on floors, the others say no, and it dry's far far quicker than oil based finishes.
It's been my go to for 20 years for furniture and yes I've done a few flights of stairs with it.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques