Potential Leakage Issue w/Teardrop Trailer Parts Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Potential Leakage Issue w/Teardrop Trailer Parts Doors

Postby mhnudi » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:05 pm

Hello all,

Today the 2 doors from teardrop trailer parts came in, and after reading several reviews here, youtube, reddit which talked about potential for these doors leaking, we decided to do a very light water test. What seems to be happening is that both doors leak through their seals and water collects on the interior side of the door.

Here is a short video showing the volume of water that I’m talking about, what I would say would be equivalent to an average shower. We did this same test 5 times per door and every time, water showed up on the back side of the door within 5-10 seconds.

https://i.imgur.com/YaXsIpw.mp4

Here you can see that the water is collecting on the interior lip, and if continued to collect it would spill over to the inside of the trailer. I would not expect any water to get here at all because this is behind where the main door seal is:

https://i.imgur.com/zdNDRM4.mp4

So, my question to you all, is this your normal experience with these doors? I know that the door is not mounted, but I would not expect this kind of leakage as a standalone unit. It certainly doesn’t give me confidence to mount it to my trailer. Curious what others thinks, and if they have had any issues with their doors.
mhnudi
Teardrop Builder

Re: Potential Leakage Issue w/Teardrop Trailer Parts Doors

Postby fredo » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 am

wow! did you show that to mfr? it seems like a lot of those windows leak. I am just planning my build so I cant really offer much but I do appreciate you sharing. also, I am a big fan of imgur.
I am definitely gonna see what others say on this.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mhnudi » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:56 am

fredo wrote:wow! did you show that to mfr? it seems like a lot of those windows leak. I am just planning my build so I cant really offer much but I do appreciate you sharing. also, I am a big fan of imgur.
I am definitely gonna see what others say on this.

Not yet, I don’t want to make a big fuss out of nothing; I was trying to figure out if I’m just understanding the doors functionality correctly. Also, to be clear here, the windows themselves don’t appear to be leaking at all, which is great. I was concerned because there was someone on youtube who posted a video of the windows leaking like a sieve. Thankfully, that doesn’t appear to be the case with these doors. The leakage appears to come between the seal around the edge of the door and the frame. This is less of a problem for me because I can fix that if need be.

I’ll get more info from Vintage Technologies and see what they say.
mhnudi
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Geez. I have seen this problem a few times on YT. I am going to test my Challenger doors that are not installed yet.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques