Hinge questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hinge questions

Postby newcamper123321 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:57 am

I am finishing up the design stage of my build, and I am down to the final detail I am working out, the hinges. for the rear galley I am of course planning on using a hurricane hinge because they seem the best for that job. Part of the plans that my wife is most excited about is having one side completely fold up, almost wing style, turning into a large door. I don't think a hurricane hinge would be necessary for this, beside I want it to have a smooth profile.

I am torn between using a piano hinge, I have heard mixed things about how water proof they are/how easy to water proof, but I know they would take the weight.

I am also considering using a soss style hidden hinge, I am a little worried about installing enough of them in line to hold the weight, don't think it would be too hard to make a water tight seal. i do like the hidden style.

finally what I am leaning towards, is using a continuous living plastic hinge. it is already water tight, they have a large degree of opening, cheap, and very discreet looking. the only thing I am worried about is if it cant take the weight of a door that large, it would be a long hinge which I know helps, but I just cant find any information on them.

maybe I am over thinking a relatively small detail. I just want the door to be strong, durable, and waterproof. any help would be much appreciated!
newcamper123321
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hinge questions

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:55 am

what I am leaning towards, is using a continuous living plastic hinge...

I installed one on a tongue box and it failed after three years.

I replaced it with a hurricane hinge.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques