Cutting out doors in plywood panels

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cutting out doors in plywood panels

Postby shannonswyatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I'm working on my galley setup and I would like to cutout my openings in the plywood and use the plywood from the cut for the doors. Not sure that is the best explanation, but a bunch of commercial trailers have their galley and inside cabinets done this way (Wibtech, Timberleaf, etc). I'm guessing that these are done via CNC, but I would like to do this with a router in the garage and thinking about how to do this.

My thought is that I could make a jig that is the size of the opening. Then drill a starting point with a 1/4 inch drill at the edge of the jig, probably where a hinge would be in case I need to hide the starting point. Then use a pilot panel bit to route out the panel by running it up against the jig that is attached below the panel, sort of like you do when making an opening for a window or door when framing an exterior wall. I'm planning on using 1/2 inch Baltic Birch.

Or would I be better to use the jig on the front as a template and use a top bearing flush trim bit and just make a bunch of passes.

If things go really sideways I could just cutout the doors separately, but I would like to eliminate as much waste as possible.

I'm hoping my description makes sense.

If there is a better way please let me know. I've only ever used a router for cleaning up edges and cutting some dados, nothing like this.
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Re: Cutting out doors in plywood panels

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:31 pm

I would jig it so if I screw up, the door is damaged not the whole side.

If you don't have a lot of experience routing, be aware that you should rout in a direction such that the bit pulls the router toward the guide, not away from it.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:11 pm

This is how I explained cutting out the side doors in my book. But it will work fine for your application too.

"I cut these out using the (1/4") template as a guide.

I used a router with a plunge base, a 1/4” guide bushing and a 1/4” spiral up-cut bit (Freud 75-102 or equivalent) for this cut. Don’t try this without a plunge base. (Remember all that money you’re saving by building your own doors?)
Do not try to make the cuts any deeper than 1/4” to prevent the bit from breaking."

Does that help?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:36 pm

I would make a 1/2" template, then use a trim router with a 1/4" bottom bearing flush cutting bit. You would need to make a precise 1/4" pilot hole to get started. I have seen people cut with a circular saw and a jig saw using the same kerf size with great results too. Probably a bunch of different way to do this. Personally, I love flush cutting routers. Which I have found indispensable for my trailer build.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby shannonswyatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:36 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:I would jig it so if I screw up, the door is damaged not the whole side.

If you don't have a lot of experience routing, be aware that you should rout in a direction such that the bit pulls the router toward the guide, not away from it.

Yes, this is what I was going for.

I've done a decent amount of routing, but mainly with a handheld to round over work, or with my routing table when I was using it mainly for dado's. I have a Dewalt contractors saw, and it won't take a dado set.
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Postby shannonswyatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm

tony.latham wrote:This is how I explained cutting out the side doors in my book. But it will work fine for your application too.

"I cut these out using the (1/4") template as a guide.

I used a router with a plunge base, a 1/4” guide bushing and a 1/4” spiral up-cut bit (Freud 75-102 or equivalent) for this cut. Don’t try this without a plunge base. (Remember all that money you’re saving by building your own doors?)
Do not try to make the cuts any deeper than 1/4” to prevent the bit from breaking."

Does that help?

Tony

Yup. Page 65 :D
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Postby shannonswyatt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:57 pm

Onajourney wrote:I would make a 1/2" template, then use a trim router with a 1/4" bottom bearing flush cutting bit. You would need to make a precise 1/4" pilot hole to get started. I have seen people cut with a circular saw and a jig saw using the same kerf size with great results too. Probably a bunch of different way to do this. Personally, I love flush cutting routers. Which I have found indispensable for my trailer build.

I was thinking about possibly using my table saw and cutting the longer straight slots with that, at least a portion of those since the panels will not be so large that I couldn't position the panel and raise the blade up after it is positioned. I could give a jig saw a shot, but my past experience with jig saws and plywood has been less than great.
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:01 pm

shannonswyatt wrote:...
I was thinking about possibly using my table saw and cutting the longer straight slots with that, at least a portion of those since the panels will not be so large that I couldn't position the panel and raise the blade up after it is positioned...

That may be a good method to make your template for routing the final cuts. For me, I wouldn't attempt that on my actual door cut outs.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques