Need builder for exterior shell of 7' wide teardrop

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need builder for exterior shell of 7' wide teardrop

Postby trailgator » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:04 pm

I owned a Little Guy / Dutchman T@B teardrop for 10 years and I thought it was really cute but I accumulated ideas on how it could be much better. I have sketched out my ideas and would like to find a builder for my custom teardrop. I don’t feel qualified to build the exterior shell and trust that it will hold together as I drive down the freeway at 65 mph. Once the shell is built, my nephew and I think we can do the interior buildout along with plumbing and electrical.

My T@B was 6’ wide and 11’ long. I would actually love a teardrop that was 7’ wide and 13’ long. (Similar in size to the Baxton Creek Bushwacker Plus and smaller that the Forest River r-pod.) I know this is a “tiny teardrop” forum and the DIY build plans are for 4’ or 5’ wide designs. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find DIY plans for a 7’ wide teardrop? (The vintage Trail Scout looks approximately the size I’m looking for.) Is there a hobbyist builder who has built teardrops before that would like to take on the challenge of building my shell?

Thank you for any suggestions!
trailgator
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need builder for exterior shell of 7' wide teardrop

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 pm

Trailer Lights
Trailers in California are required to have reflectors, tail, brake, and license plate lights. Signal lights are also required if the tow vehicle's lights are hidden. Trailers over 80 inches wide must have clearance lights.

Source: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/ ... er-safely/

The above is in California. Since you don't list where you are, I can't check for your area. Please check for your state and also where you want to travel as you may have special requirements for something as wide as you want to build.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby trailgator » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:42 pm

I live in CA near SF. I'm open to a builder in any state.

One thought was to use a boat trailer for the foundation. I would need help building the teardrop to rest on top of that base.
trailgator
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:44 am

Sequencing is very important to avoid pit-falls in finishing. You need a foundation before you build a house. Start with the frame, then build the top to fit.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:35 pm

Maybe you could use something like this and just finish the inside:
https://www.trailersplus.com/Arizona/Ki ... lsrc=aw.ds
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby trailgator » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:22 pm

I very much want a teardrop shape with clamshell. There are so many good designs at smaller designs and it would be nice to scale them up a little. The T@B has a clamshell version but is just a little smaller than I'd like and is not the interior layout that I want. I'm not sure how safe it is to scale a smaller design and be assured that it is still roadworthy. I also don't have the tools and workspace for constructing the exterior so would like to find a builder.
trailgator
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:54 pm

:thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques