Bread loaf framing

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Bread loaf framing

Postby Richrad » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:34 am

My next project will be in the ‘bread loaf’ style, and I wonder if anybody has seen how these are framed. I need about 6” radius corners. I am not building in metal. Thanks in advance, and yes; I realize this creates a bunch of extra work and expense.

Rich
Oceanside CA
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Re: Bread loaf framing

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:57 am

I depends a little bit on how thick you want the walls. If they will be a couple inches thick, you use sawn plywood.

If the walls/roof will be thinner, say only 3/4" then you could steam bend solid wood or cold laminate the ribs from glued, thin plys of wood on a form.

The last option would be to use cedar strip/epoxy construction like a canoe.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:18 pm

I never got around to this project, but I too had the same questions about framing for a breadloaf style trailer. Lot's of people contributed good ideas to my questions. Here's the thread: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=43507#p815155.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Richrad » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm

Thanks Tom, that thread is very helpful. I'll probably go with cold molding of two layers of 3mm ply, with a single layer of fiberglass between to help them bond. Did this on my last tear, and it worked well. I saw you mentioned that you were considering a pop-top on your next project; have you ever considered a drop floor? I have a section on my last tear that drops (pull a pin) all the way to the pavement, with a little fabric baffle around the edge. Cupola pop-tops make me feel like a tank commander!
-Rich
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques