Question: T Moulding and Trim for galley hatch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Question: T Moulding and Trim for galley hatch

Postby BLTillson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Greetings TnTTT community. I need help before my brain explodes. (Nobody wants to see that!)

I am working on finalizing my galley hatch design and I am really struggling and second guessing myself on how best to seal it. As you could see from my build journal, I am getting close to building the walls. I need this important issue resolved before I proceed. I am moving in three months and need to have this contraption road worthy.

Here is what I have going on.

This is obviously the back of my trailer and the galley hatch frame. This is to give an overview of what I have designed.
T4 -  G-Hatch Full.png
T4 - G-Hatch Full.png (837.55 KiB) Viewed 273 times

What I ended up with, ummm, designed was a 1 1/4" wall with a 1/4" plywood skin. (Eventually covered in PMF)
You can see the dimensions here.
T4 -  G-Hatch Dimentional.png
T4 - G-Hatch Dimentional.png (112.67 KiB) Viewed 273 times

Here is a side view. As you can see I have only 1/4" of space for a seal. I am thinking about using the Vintage Technology extra wide T molding. https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/rear-galley-door.html However, I not sure yet if I can get insert style moulding that is only 1/4"
T4 -  G-Hatch Side Detail.png
T4 - G-Hatch Side Detail.png (33.12 KiB) Viewed 273 times

This is the way I would prefer to do it because this is what I have drawn and working with as far as inside galley dimensions. I tried a thinner wall at the galley only and that is doable but I am still left with only a 1/4" space to put the edge molding on. I thought about lowering the edge of the wall at the galley portion only but have not drawn that yet.

Also can trim like the HT-11 on this page be bent to follow the curve of my wall? https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hinges---aluminum-trim.html

Soooo, based on what you see, what do you thing my best options are?

Thank you all.
~BLT~

Δοξάστε τον Θεό από τον οποίο πηγάζουν όλες οι ευλογίεςt
BLTillson
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Question: T Moulding and Trim for galley hatch

Postby eLink » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:17 pm

You could add a 5/16" x 1" aluminum bar under the hinge.
There was a recent conversation about that here:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73997&start=45
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby BLTillson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:43 pm

eLink wrote:You could add a 5/16" x 1" aluminum bar under the hinge.
There was a recent conversation about that here:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73997&start=45

Thank you for the quick response. :thumbsup:

But if I am reading this right, that would lift up my galley hatch and ruin the smooth transition between the main cabin roof and the galley hatch. Perhaps I should trim down the wall at the galley portion to make up for the difference in the edge molding? I have not found the dimensions of the edge molding as of yet.

I was then thinking of using this trim which looks like I would only need to trim the door based on the amount of compression I need. I have not seen how far above the 1/4" of the moulding the silicone protrudes. From this VT picture it looks as if the 1/4" is to the top inside of the channel. Also, where is the 1 1/8" width? inside the channel, outside to outside? I can call Vintage and ask but if someone knows.

VT HT-17.png
VT HT-17.png (85.78 KiB) Viewed 247 times
~BLT~

Δοξάστε τον Θεό από τον οποίο πηγάζουν όλες οι ευλογίεςt
BLTillson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eLink » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:38 pm

BLTillson wrote:But if I am reading this right, that would lift up my galley hatch and ruin the smooth transition between the main cabin roof and the galley hatch. Perhaps I should trim down the wall at the galley portion to make up for the difference in the edge molding? I have not found the dimensions of the edge molding as of yet.

Yes, that would happen with the spacer. But at least the trim would look continuous, and it's arguable whether a 1/4 inch offset would even be perceptible.
It is also perfectly fine to trim down the side walls by 1/4 inch. It's done all the time by builders in this forum. But there will be a step in the trim. (If you are installing 1/8" plywood roof sheathing, keep in mind that this will bring your total notch height to 3/8")
I was then thinking of using this trim which looks like I would only need to trim the door based on the amount of compression I need. I have not seen how far above the 1/4" of the moulding the silicone protrudes. From this VT picture it looks as if the 1/4" is to the top inside of the channel. Also, where is the 1 1/8" width? inside the channel, outside to outside? I can call Vintage and ask but if someone knows.
VT HT-17.png

The 1/4" dimension is exactly as shown. The 1 1/8" is the inside dimension. Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link I sent previously. There is a pretty good image showing the rubber seal in place.
Also check out the tips provided by Vintage Tech.
https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/rear-galley-door.html
eLink
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques