Building a Woodie - Fiberglass before or after construction?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Building a Woodie - Fiberglass before or after construction?

Postby elmstjr » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:55 pm

Hello,

Building a hobbit-themed woodie teardrop. I was wondering if I should fiberglass-epoxy before it's constructed (everything flat, like Tony Latham's guide suggests) or after it's constructed.

The side walls will be painted (so the epoxy-fiberglass doesn't have to be pretty), however I need the top to be epoxy-fiberglassed and varnished because I have some CO2 laser cutouts I'm throwing on for designs.

What would be the ideal order? I'll definantly be epoxying the bottom before any construction, but what about the rest??

Thanks!
elmstjr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building a Woodie - Fiberglass before or after construct

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:29 pm

Well... you already know my opinion, do the walls flat.

And then the roof/hatch after the cabin is complete...

Often, gravity isn't our friend. :lol: I find it best to work with the stuff than against it. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:30 pm

I could see doing the vertical surfaces while flat. I'd do the roof after assembly and run the glass down the sides a few inches or bias tape the joint.

Make sure you wash off the amine blush with hot soapy water, then scuff any cured epoxy before trying to adhere any new epoxy/glass to it. Don't just sand as that will just push the blush into the scratches. The sandpaper will clog too.

I've always done lay ups in one continuous process. Makes for a very long day but you get the clearest, strongest lay up on a boat hull. Not needed in your case so either way would be fine.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:09 am

Not building a woody but sure dwelling on the same thing!
Three inch foam has a good dog leg on it :frightened:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby elmstjr » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:Well... you already know my opinion, do the walls flat.

And then the roof/hatch after the cabin is complete...

Often, gravity isn't our friend. :lol: I find it best to work with the stuff than against it. :frightened:

Tony

Appreciate the input. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, and I'm fanatically wondering, "What am I not considering!?"

I'll do it flat, hope it all goes well! I'll sniff some glue while I'm at it and let you know how that goes!
elmstjr
Teardrop Inspector

Flat first!

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:48 am

I would agree with Tony & his approach. Fiberglass is a bit messy in general. A flat surface is the easiest way to work with it, same as applying your interior wall finish prior to assembly.

Only thing I would be concerned with would be fastener holes used to assemble. They need to be plugged or filled with a layer of epoxy prior to final outside coating. Surface prep will be the main thing you would be working on in getting ready for paint. A good finish is 90% prep work & 10% final application.

Interested in seeing the "Hobbit" design!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques