hatch spar location

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

hatch spar location

Postby wvmedic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:04 pm

I'm building my first teardrop, just starting actually. I have the template done edges sanded smooth, I was laying out the cabinets and things when I began thinking about where should the hatch start. How do I determine where my hatch needs to start? I'm using a 48" radius on the back, I'm building a 5x10. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you, Jeff
wvmedic
Teardrop Builder

Re: hatch spar location

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:26 pm

wvmedic wrote:I'm building my first teardrop, just starting actually. I have the template done edges sanded smooth, I was laying out the cabinets and things when I began thinking about where should the hatch start. How do I determine where my hatch needs to start? I'm using a 48" radius on the back, I'm building a 5x10. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you, Jeff

Well... this works.

If you are using 5' sheets of Baltic, you want to limit the hatch so its surface doesn't go beyond 5'. And if you need a wire chase in the galley, make sure you set the spar 3" or so away from the bulkhead.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby wvmedic » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:37 am

Thank you Tony, I don't know how I missed that. I'm definitely going to triple the hatch spar, probably going to use oak. I think poplar might be to soft.

Jeff
wvmedic
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:28 pm

wvmedic wrote:Thank you Tony, I don't know how I missed that. I'm definitely going to triple the hatch spar, probably going to use oak. I think poplar might be to soft.

Jeff

I used poplar for all the roof spars on Rose, 5x10. I doubled them on each side of the fan, and at the hatch. So far so good at 15 years.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby wvmedic » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Thank you Sparksalot.

Jeff
wvmedic
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques