DIY door trim and seals?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

DIY door trim and seals?

Postby Number 42 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:51 am

I am in the design phase of a 5x10 front slope roof "squaredrop". The walls will be 1 1/2" thick with 1" pink foam with 1/4" Prefinished birch ply on the interior and 1/4" acx ply skinned with painted sheet aluminum on the outside. I will plane down fir 2x4s down to 1" and frame the walls with that. I am having a hard time finding the right combination of aluminum trim or extrusion profiles and hinges to trim out and seal 1 1/2" thick doors. I dont like the look of leaving the core of the wall exposed, so I want to cover the edges of the opening and the door covered with metal. I looked on the Vintage Tech website and it looks like his material is designed for 3/4" walls. Any ideas?
Number 42
Teardrop Inspector

Re: DIY door trim and seals?

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:01 pm

Number 42 wrote:I am in the design phase of a 5x10 front slope roof "squaredrop". The walls will be 1 1/2" thick with 1" pink foam with 1/4" Prefinished birch ply on the interior and 1/4" acx ply skinned with painted sheet aluminum on the outside. I will plane down fir 2x4s down to 1" and frame the walls with that. I am having a hard time finding the right combination of aluminum trim or extrusion profiles and hinges to trim out and seal 1 1/2" thick doors. I dont like the look of leaving the core of the wall exposed, so I want to cover the edges of the opening and the door covered with metal. I looked on the Vintage Tech website and it looks like his material is designed for 3/4" walls. Any ideas?
Your life will be easier if you go with 3/4” insulation and you’ll never notice the difference.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:06 pm

You always use polyisocyanurate foam for more R factor per inch.

The other thing to consider is that because of the limited volume inside the camper, you are venting air at a pretty high rate compared to a house. You get diminishing returns on more insulation pretty quickly.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mountainminded » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:48 am

Another option is to use two pieces of 3/4” leg trim— one wrapping the inside wall and the other wrapping the outside wall. It’s twice as many sticks of trim (and screws!) but the finished appearance is nice with no raw plywood edges visible inside or out. My 1947 Kit reproduction has 1” composite walls and I use two pieces of 1/2” leg trim. Inevitably there will be small gaps in places and to disguise these visually I first run a strip of black Gorilla tape along the plywood edge before applying the trim. This method can be seen in the bottom of the image attached.

Last edited by mountainminded on Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:52 am

Tony has got a book that is really helpful if you're new to building Teardrops. It will probably answer most of your questions:

Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques