Little Guy 6'-wide teardrop

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby hiker chick » Sun May 23, 2010 12:14 am

Oasis Maker wrote:And when she's pulling like that, is she somehow knowingly in a work mode and not distracted with sniffing every tree, etc.?

Scott G.

Yep, it is remarkable. Like flipping a switch. Very first time I hooked her up at 18 months she took off down the sidewalk like a shot out of a rifle.

Zero interest in sniffing and she actually passes by most squirrels.

She's hyper-competitive, her heart will explode before she'll let another dog pass her and she will fight like heck to keep a bike without a dog attached from passing her. Her daddy ran lead and her mom ran wheel on her breeder's Colorado sled team, so she's got the DNA in spades.

Soon as she hears the bell on her harness when I get it out for her, she runs to the front door and waits.

She turns 8 in June so I'm being very watchful of her because I'm afraid she won't be prudent for her own sake. She just wants to win.

:o
Last edited by hiker chick on Sun May 23, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 23, 2010 5:41 am

Great video! I have no doubts you have him well trained and have good equipemtn, but from my own experience, I hope you do have and wear a helmet. My adult son used to scooter dog as well, until he took a spell, hit his head hard enough for a grand mal seizure, and spent the night in ICU. He luckily fine with no further problems. We still don't know exactly what happened, I was walking behind them, and he went around a corner in front of me, and when I came around the corner, Gideon was on the ground, seizing and the dog was running to me. I am a nurse, so I knew what to do, but leaving him to run for the nearest house to call the ambulance (didn't have cell phones then-10 years ago) was the scariest thing I ever did. Don't mean to be a downer here, just be prudent!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 am

Yes, I wear a helmet. Pulling, Gidget tops out at 25mph.

Seizures are scary, my sister's on medication for the rest of her life after a series of seizures related to head injuries suffered in a car accident over 25 years ago.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun May 23, 2010 12:00 pm

hiker chick wrote:Yes, I wear a helmet. Pulling, Gidget tops out at 25mph.

:shock: Jeez... aren't there child labor laws or something against that? Wow :lol:

Seriously Hiker Chick, you have been so detailed over the years in documenting all of your equipment, I'm surprised that either I missed this doggie scooter or you never included it?

Fun post though either way. :thumbsup:

Scott

Ps. +1 on the helmet. Gidget doing 25mpg is amazing, and it looks like she's deliberately just missing all those trees and park benches just to give you a thrill. :lol:
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Sun May 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Oasis Maker wrote: it looks like she's deliberately just missing all those trees and park benches just to give you a thrill. :lol:

She is that devious.

:lol:

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stumphugger » Sun May 23, 2010 12:34 pm

And my lab figured out I didn't want him to pull when I'm on the mountain bike. Wow. That looks like fun. I noticed how close she was hugging the trees and saw the folks move their baby stroller.

I found a way to exercise a hyper golden retriever after I'd been at work all day was to hop on the bike and have her run or trot alongside on leash. But it was a bit exciting if a rabbit, cat, or squirrel popped up ahead of us.

I guess I could throw a ball out in front and that would overcome the don't pull training. Tennis Balls are the number one priority in my dog's life!

That's why your dog looks so happy. She has a job to do!
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 pm

stumphugger wrote:And my lab figured out I didn't want him to pull when I'm on the mountain bike. Wow. That looks like fun. I noticed how close she was hugging the trees and saw the folks move their baby stroller.

I found a way to exercise a hyper golden retriever after I'd been at work all day was to hop on the bike and have her run or trot alongside on leash. But it was a bit exciting if a rabbit, cat, or squirrel popped up ahead of us.

I guess I could throw a ball out in front and that would overcome the don't pull training. Tennis Balls are the number one priority in my dog's life!

That's why your dog looks so happy. She has a job to do!

Working dogs do want to work!

I've considered putting a squirrel pelt on a remote-control car.

Then I'd crash for sure.....

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby arthuruscg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:45 am

Hiker Chick,
thanks for the tour of the 6'LG. My wife and I were looking them up when we got home on Monday.
I really like the idea of waiting to leave the DC area after rush hour and when we get to SNP, not having to set up a tent in the dark.
arthuruscg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 am

From another post she left, I think Hiker Chick is out in teardrop bliss right now and cut off from the forum for a few days. Looking forward to the required pics when she returns.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby arthuruscg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:39 am

Hiker Chick did you get a few good pics of Big Meadows when the thunderstorms rolled in Tuesday afternoon. I hope you were not out on the trails when they rolled though.

My wife and I were almost home when they caught up with us and brought traffic to a stand still.
arthuruscg
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 pm

arthuruscg wrote:Hiker Chick did you get a few good pics of Big Meadows when the thunderstorms rolled in Tuesday afternoon. I hope you were not out on the trails when they rolled though.

My wife and I were almost home when they caught up with us and brought traffic to a stand still.

Just back this afternoon.

Arthur -- Big Meadows dodged the t-storms, thank goodness. We had some "sun rain" but nothing else and not much. Planned the day around the dire forecast, though.

Sure glad we left today -- looks like Big Meadows got walloped in today's t-storms.

:)

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 am

Thought for a few minutes during our latest trip to Shenandoah NP that the teardrop's hard-sides might be tested by bears -- Mama Bear, no less. These three, Mama B and two cubs, spent two hours one morning across from my campsite. Climbing trees and turning over rocks looking for grubs, Mama B seemed poised to come our way but Gidget, who could not have cared less about the bears, may have deterred her.

I came across them at 6:30a in route to the bathroom. Heck of a time to run into a Mama Bear with her babies. Sometimes it pays to pack extra underwear.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 am

Misc pics. Something new learned this trip: don't let teething puppies near tents. The guy lines are hard to resist. This pup is six months old, and quite large for a sammy pup. She was endless entertainment. And while Diva Gidg commandeered the tailgate and her cot, puppy was happily relegated to digging a pit under the picnic table. And digging and digging....

The puppy is not mine. Now that Shenandoah NP's lodges are dog-friendly I'm finding more peops to go up there with me.

[/img]
Last edited by hiker chick on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 am

If asked: why camp? Among my top five answers: dinner.

In this instance, NY steak with McCormick's Steak Seasoning. Well, more than one instance because I shopped at Costco.... Oh so yum.

:)

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby arthuruscg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 pm

is there space for a propane tank between the jack and your tong box?
arthuruscg
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers