Yoter Toter? Anyone have one?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Ben, congratulations on your upcoming aquisition :applause: we do look forward to it...(personal rant coming)not to rain on your parade but I just gotta say something...from your explanation(alone) it sounds like those "good" Amish folks (or someone) has stolen the Hunter design and made it their own...I know the Hunter is a representation of the trailer for two so there would be no patent/copyright infringement but it just don't ring right to me...didn't mean to offend or belittle anyone or anything with my little rant
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ben W » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:45 pm

madjack wrote:from your explanation(alone) it sounds like those "good" Amish folks (or someone) has stolen the Hunter design and made it their own...I know the Hunter is a representation of the trailer for two so there would be no patent/copyright infringement but it just don't ring right to me...didn't mean to offend or belittle anyone or anything with my little rant
madjack 8)

Hey Madjack, no offense taken. I'm just letting ya know how it was explained to me. Now, if there was a Camp-inn duplicate out there, I'd begin to shake my head...it's definately the Caddy, but out of my price range. This trailer is a standard design and there are a dozen cottage shops that make a version of it. All I know is there is another player out there now, and the price, for me, made it worth the decision. With gas prices the way they are, I expect to see more and bigger companies that can produce faster and better, move into the market.
Ben W
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Ben, if they had, had no connection to Hunter in the first place I wouldn't think twice about it...just another Co. cashing in on what has basically become a generic design...it's the previous connection that rings hollow. However, from looking at their website it is apparent they have made improvements to the design and I sincerely congratulate you on your purchase :applause:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

So, what does a Yoder Toter cost?

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:08 pm

I am sceptical of auctions, simply because people tend to bid way too much for stuff when their competitive juices get going. Does anyone know what a Yoder Toter goes for on e-bay, +/- $200 or so? What would they cost if I walked in off the street and negotiated with the dealer. What does 'deep in Amish country' mean? Pleasant Valley, using google ends up not being far from North Canton, OH where the dealership on ebay is located? Questions, Questions, Questions...<g>

jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: So, what does a Yoder Toter cost?

Postby Ben W » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:18 am

kayakrguy wrote:Does anyone know what a Yoder Toter goes for on e-bay, +/- $200 or so? What would they cost if I walked in off the street and negotiated with the dealer. What does 'deep in Amish country' mean? Pleasant Valley, using google ends up not being far from North Canton, OH where the dealership on ebay is located? Questions, Questions, Questions...<g>

jim

Jim, The Ebay dealership is the manufacturer, although the trailers are subcontracted to an Amish group. The trailers are Little Guy Trailers and come with Little Guy VIN's. Family Express, in North Canton, now owns Little Guy. As I understand it, the trailers are actually manufactured in an Amish community about 40 miles south of North Canton.

I'm hesitant to put my buying price up on the board becuase the price I paid for my 5x10, through auction on Ebay was a second chance offer I got after speaking with Keith. I don't think these prices will be around for long. I can say I paid a LOT less than a comperable Fat Shadow from Hunter would have cost and also had "upgrades" that Hunter charges for included in the base price. I can also say that I beleive the price gap between the two will probably narrow as the Yoder becomes more widely known and marketed and we move closer to the summer camping season. Keith, the guy running the online sales is a very nice and helpful guy. If you give him a ring, he will answer your questions as he did for me. He's a straight shooter and will tell you the list price for the model you're looking for and also what you can expect from Ebay. They are beginning to back order. Mine will be ready in mid March.
Ben W
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:10 am

At Little Talbot get together, a lady (named Vanessa) had just bought a Yoder Toter,, and this was her first outing,,, the shape is a bit different than the traditional Lil Guy but the similarities were all there,, The front was curved but the rear was more flatened out,, minimal galley,,, the quality looked real good,, and what she paid for it on e-bay,, well she got a steal,,, I didnt get a picture of it but it was a Pleasantburg/ yoder
Toter

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby weasel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I check the e-bay auctions on these,since I'm 4 hrs away I'm gonna drive up to look. Want to check em' out and get ideas for mine.
weasel
Donating Member

Another Yoder Toter Customer

Postby spyderhead » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:16 am

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth on this subject. My wife and I ordered a 5X10 through Keith a month or so ago; we're picking it up March 13th. From what I have read and the pics I have seen, the quality of these little teardrops is excellent and the price is about half that of a comparable Hunter. Like I said, just my two cents. Can't wait until we pick it up (even though it's a long drive from Mississippi to Canton, Ohio). Will post pics after there any pics to post.
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Yoder Toter . . . renamed

Postby spyderhead » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:29 pm

We picked up our teardrop last Saturday in North Canton, Ohio. It is a 5 X 10 and is titled as a "Silver Shadow Phantom" by Yoder Toter/Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers LLC of Sugarcreek, Ohio.
The people in N. Canton at the Lil Guy dealership were first rate - especially Keith Horton - who had handled our sale over the internet and by phone. The quality of the teardrop is really outstanding. The fit and finish, the tolerances - especially the cabinetry, etc., is great.
I do not know if this goes anywhere in clearing up the confusion as to who is selling these trailers on eBay, but I hope it does. I will attach a couple pics when I figure out how to do it.
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

yoder toter

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:17 am

I too had called Keith because his phone numbers are in the ebay ad.
It was about 7 pm his time and he was very helpful, explained that one of the men that builds these is an Amish/Mennonite minister. Also that production is sometimes behind or lengthened becuase they have different holidays. He was very patient with my questions, and I got the impression they prices may be rising a little this spring/summer.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby elmo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:23 am

Morning all,

Before I decided to build my own I did alot of looking around and checked out the Little Guy Dealers in a 300 mile radius of me (Green Bay) and found one dealer that would sell me a 5x8 Retro for $4200. The price didn't seen to bad, but being 6'5" I wanted the little extra leg room. So I go order the steal for the frame this week and I already picked up the 5x10 birch plywood on Friday.

Elmer out!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

yoder toter

Postby kneedeep » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:51 pm

hello all,
I got the bug for teardrops about a year ago, I seen a small segment on the travel channel about teardrops and was hooked! I was on a mission to get one.
I had bought plans to build one off Kuffel Creek the 8' Chubby and seemed like a good idea. It was about $2,000 from start to finish but being I am not the handy man, I found a local cabinet maker to look over the plans and pre- fab it all for me than I would put it together.
But that took the price up from $2,000 to about $4,000 still not a bad price I thought, until I found the yoder toter siver shaddow 8' I pick it up Easter Weekend! and I also delt with Keith Horton he was very helpful, I also seen the camper on e-bay but there were only 17 hrs left to bid on it and wasn't sure I could get the cash that quick. So I called Keith late in the evening and by chance he anwsered the phone and was very helpful considering the hour it was. I didn't bid on the one through e-bay I just bought an other off Keith on the phone.
I figure I can get this one and if there were things about the Chubby I liked I can always add to what I all ready have since I have the plans.
Kneedeep
kneedeep
Teardrop Inspector

You'll be happy

Postby spyderhead » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:00 am

I guarantee that you will be happy with your new teardrop from the guys in North Canton. We got to go camping in ours for the first time this past weekend, and it was just great. Get used to answering a LOT of questions from folks and giving a lot of "tours" of your new teardrop. :applause:
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Postby kneedeep » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:25 pm

Thanx Spyderhead,
I hope so can't wait! I am like a little kid waiting to go to Disney World think I just have to try it out in my back yard saturday night ..... :lol:

Wish I seen this site about a week ago when I was looking, he was hard to find and I am in the same state but was worth the hunt Don't really think you can beat his pricing anywhere.
Kneedeep
kneedeep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Well Kneedeep, welcome to the forum...

Got a photo of that new Yoder Toder thingie handy?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers