New Raindrop 560 Ultra

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby bourgre » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Dude I'm so jealous! I've been lurking for a little while and was compelled to post. There you are in sunny California with a shiny new Raindrop and I'm stuck in freezing rainy Ontario dreaming of a shiny new Raindrop. I must say your rig looks awesome. I'm sure today was the start of many great trips to come.

So please do tell me in you're honest opinion if you think the Raindrop would accomodate a young family in reasonable comfort. What do you think it would be like sleeping in there with a couple of kiddies in the bunks? We're ready to start camping and traveling next summer but I just can't seem to decide on a camper. The Raindrop has my heart but my wife - always the voice of reason - thinks we'd be very uncomfortable. Her preference is a 20' ish TT with bunks and a bathroom. I want something small and may be able to talk her down to a deluxe pop up but what I really want is the Raindrop. So if I can get her past the no bathroom issue do you really think it would be big enough?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Reg
bourgre
Teardrop Inspector

Teardrop

Postby ELCHILEON » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Okay .. honest opinion :thinking:
I originally had my heart set on something a little larger i.e : " Airstream Bambi " .. !
However, it wouldn't fit inside of my garage space . And .., the sticker price was just a bit much more than I had guesstimated on $$$$$$$$ :shock:
My girlfriend & I have spent a few nights sleeping inside of our " Raindrop " parked in the garage , just to get the overall feel. We tried all the lights, ran the Air Conditioner, watched a movie,etc.

The mattress was a bit too hard to sleep on . So, I added a very thick mattress pad, which made it very comfy. We were both surprised how much roomier it feels once your inside.

I don't have any small kids, and really didn't place too much thought on using the " Bunk Beds " . My priorities are to utilize the area strictly as a " Bench " , to sit and read, or watch a movie, pass out !

The bathroom (dressing room) can be overcome, somewhat, with a " Side Entrance Tent ", listed as an accessory.

I really coudn't advise anyone with two **growing kids **, “ IF “ its large enough !!

This was/is a long term investment , with no future plans on buying anything larger.
I'll now have to save-up for a small " Boat " , to camp on the water 8)

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bourgre » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I too had my sights on a Bambi but it is more money than I can spend on a camper. I'm sure we'd love the Raindrop for the next few years but I do fear that it will feel smaller as the kids get bigger. Apparently the grow when you feed and water them. I'll let you know what we come up with.
bourgre
Teardrop Inspector

Thanksgiving Trip

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Hey all,

I'm back from my " Maiden Voyage / Thanksgiving Weekend Trip ".

I decided to camped in an area ( RV Resort ) , which was very close to " Pyramid Lake " (approx 1 1/2 ). I had planned on doing some " Float Tubing " fishing. Unfortunately the weather turned on me , from a very sunny " Wednesday ", to a very windy / Rainy/ light Snow, on " Friday " night.

RV Park:
http://www.pyramidlakerv.com/

L.M.
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Thanksgiving Dinner

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Just a few more photos:

Thanksgiving Dinner: Grilled Game Hens / Stuffing with Gravy / Spinach & Onions.

L.M.
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Afterthoughts:

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:33 pm

The weather turned from a tolerable cool day, to some very, very cold nights, along with one night of " Rain & Snow ".

My girlfriend was very happy we decided to get the " Optional side tent " , which served as a " Porta-Potty " area. She didn't have to walk (approx 150 yards) to the restrooms, late at night.
The wind gusts were so strong , we had to secure the side tent down onto the table with extra straps , to keep it from blowing over.

I didn't secure my new " 10 X 10 Easy -UP " well enough & I managed to break it (panick grab @ 0300 hrs) before it went airborne, up and over onto my " Raindrop " or my Yukon " , with the anchors (10lbs) attached.
All I could think of at the moment in time...., were the " Anchors " slamming down on my vehicles (sledge hammer):shock:
Oh well, lessons learned :roll:

The " Tejon Pass " (Northbound traffic; I-5 Highway) as we were leaving the " RV Park ".

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Fishing Photos

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Just sharing a few " Fishing " photos of " Pyramid Lake ".

Fridays Menu : Grilled Stripers

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fpoole » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:14 pm

YIkes... :o

what's the blue stuff in the sky...???
How come it isn't dark, gray and cloudy... does that blue stuff eat the clouds??? :lol:

Sounds like you enjoyed the Drop on her maiden voyage...
They are a kick....

"Rust'n away agin, in rainy-ville"
(actually heading out the Leavenworth (not the prison) for the Christmas Tree Lighting Festival... and a little snow perhaps...

See you on the road..

frank
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Great pics!

Nice to be in a cozy teardrop on a cold night. Imagine how tenters fared....

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fpoole » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 pm

hiker chick wrote:Great pics!

Oh.. LOL.. You mean back in the OLD Days???
Actually still have some tents and pads, bags etc...
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey fpoole & Hicker Chick,

I really don't mind a bit of cold Rain or Snow , normally expected or endured , while out " Fishing ". However,.... the " Howling Wind ", on the other hand , made it almost impossible to do anything !

It was very difficult to cook a meal , or just sit outside to relax & enjoy the evening stars . We had a heck of a time keeping the propane burners lit , on both the " BBQ & Stove ".
Had we prepared our meals an hour later on Friday, it would have been blown off the table .. with the table :oops:

The wind was really blowing all day Saturday. So, we decided to head into town (Gorman) for a late afternoon lunch / Dinner.

The " TV DVD Player " , was another optional item, we were both very happy with :thumbsup:

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hiker chick » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

fpoole wrote:
hiker chick wrote:Great pics!

Oh.. LOL.. You mean back in the OLD Days???
Actually still have some tents and pads, bags etc...

Not old days, there are lots of tenters still and until a couple of years ago I was one of them. I still have five tents and all the rest for tent camping.

Whenever I'm in my teardrop on a cold night I'm thankful not to be in one of my tents. Tenting memories remain fresh and vivid.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Future Planning :

Postby ELCHILEON » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:10 am

Hey all,

I bought the " Stainless Steel BBQ / Smoker " with the " fire Restrictions " in mind . However , I wasn't really thrilled with the " performance " , compared to my " EGG " !

I had to keep it cranked on high, just to keep the burner lit in the high winds, and then carefully monitor it to keep from " Burning/Charring " and undercooking the meats.
" IF & WHEN " I'm cooking for a large group ?? I'll haul it around !

So, I'm most likey going to take my smaller, table top "Stainless Grill", while traveling & only cooking for two.
It's handier for cooking quick meals @ high heat; Steaks / Burgers / Hot Links ".
I can also use it to brown any larger cuts of meats, & then finish them in one of my " Skillets / DO's ", on the Burners @ lower heat.

Now, looking back at everything & taking into consideration a few details.. HMMMM... !
I did have electrical power hook-ups ; Shorepower or a Yamaha 2000W Portable Generator.

I've looked into my current inventory & decided there might be other, viable options, to consider for any future Travels!
I.E:
Toaster Oven; 1540 W

GE: 18 Quart Roaster Oven : 1450 W

Hotplate : 800 W.

All of which, are much more compact than the " BBQ/Smoker ".. !

Just a few things to consider on my next trip to " Kingman; Arizona " in December :D

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

December Vacation

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 am

Hey all,

I'm back from a week long road trip ..: Grand Canyon / Lake Powell.

Here we are just arriving at the " Grand Canyon ; Village RV Park " on 12/27/09.

We didn't anticipate the extremely cold weather. So, we along with many of the other " RV'ers " left the following morning , due to an incoming storm front warning ; Heavy winds & more Snow.

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Lake Powell

Postby ELCHILEON » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 am

We decided to head toward " Lake Powell " area with a possiblity of visiting " ZION ", depending on the weather conditions ??
http://www.lakepowell.com/rv-campgrounds.cfm

Here we are arriving at the " Wahweap Campgrounds ", slightly cloudy, sunny day.

I couldn't believe my luck.. it snowed that night , into the following morning(s) ( 12/28 - 12/30/09 )

We left the campgrounds, on a very nice , but windy day; 12/31/2009

L.M.
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers