Emergency shelter/trailer

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

Emergency shelter/trailer

Postby angib » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:45 pm

angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:14 am

That might be an option for homeless people, especially in the winter. It looks like they could sleep safely and stay warm and dry.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:05 am

For the homeless, I think tradition demands the use of the pop-up kart camper:

Camper kart page 1

Camper kart page 2

Though actually the emergency shelter idea above seems better - as once the occupant is lying down, the camper can't be moved - I think the ease of moving the camper kart would encourage some antisocial behaviour.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Andrew,

Have you ever tried to design a homeless shelter for one. It's actually quite challenging.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:06 pm

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby caseydog » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:51 pm

mikeschn wrote:Andrew,

Have you ever tried to design a homeless shelter for one. It's actually quite challenging.

Mike...

A big problem the homeless face is security. You often see them sleeping during the day, and figure they are lazy. But sleeping at night is too dangerous. So, they stay awake at night, and sleep in crowded public places during the day.

Someplace safe to sleep at night would be a step in the right direction.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Assuming that one could design a really lightweight teardrop for one, would that really help the homeless?

Lets assume that it can be towed by a bicycle. Where would he park at night?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:01 pm

My original thought about the shelter at the top of the page is that it could be used for overflow shelter at churches, etc. Most church parking lots are pretty empty at night and most would have a small area for storage of such units by day. Because of its shape, it could be stored in the 'up' position, with a smaller ground footprint. Since they are wood, they would be safer and slightly warmer than the canvas one subsequently displayed. You can cut through canvas a lot easier than you can wood. I would think they would also be more stable to sleep in than a shopping cart. It might be possible to further lower the cost of the units by making just one wheeled frame, sort of like a dolly, to wheel several units into place, one by one.

Many (not all) homeless prefer to be outside as much as possible, except in bad weather. Wintertime is the worst for homeless because of the low temperatures and rain/snow. Homeless are sometimes turned away in the winter because all the beds are full. As the recession has deepened, more people are sharing households but also, more are on the streets. Therefore, more may be turned away at the local shelters this winter and in future years. Nighttime is the worst for homeless, not only because of the weather and some of the homeless people's lack of morals but also because of the new "fun" pastime that some young people have adapted: beating up homeless individuals on a lark. It's sad. Not all homeless are bad or shiftless. Some are just down on their luck.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby grant whipp » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 am

For what it's worth, I think that this design actually has more going for it, and is much more practical. With the adaptation of some bicycle wheels & tires in the rear and some more substantial pneumatic tires in the front, you could still use it as a trailer, and it would be more easily maneuverable in the push-cart arrangement.

starleen2 wrote:Image

Homeless Shelter
http://highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/i ... 1292890424

The design could also be more easily adaptable to the overflow shelter situation Sharon suggested, as it has the potential for being stacked for daytime storage.

I was homeless for a short time in 1982, and I would have welcomed something like this ... would have given me a lot more sense of independence, not to mention the security over a tent.

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 am

Grant Whipp wrote:
For what it's worth, I think that this design actually has more going for it, and is much more practical. With the adaptation of some bicycle wheels & tires in the rear and some more substantial pneumatic tires in the front, you could still use it as a trailer, and it would be more easily maneuverable in the push-cart arrangement.

You may be right, Grant. :thumbsup: Plus, for portability in a church parking lot, all one might need is a single hand truck to slide the unit onto. Then, you wouldn't even need the bicycle wheels. I do think I'd be one to seal the wood inside and out, though. Better yet, make it out of fiberglass, like a bathroom stall so it could be easily hosed out. Some homeless don't control their bladders.

That unit's size and shape reminds me of some of the bed units rented in Japan.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby D.J. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:31 am

This was an entry in a design competition for an urban cycle for the homeless . The front section is detachable to be an independent unit . The front wheel for the bicycle is stored like a continental kit on the back until needed . The front section holds a tent and two large recycling bins for can collecting . The nose section comes off and fits over a steam or sewer grate to circulate hot air around the tent for colder nights . ...... D.J.

Image Image
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby grant whipp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 pm

That is really cool, DJ! Thanks for posting it!

I can already envision some serious teardrop-style re-design about to happen on this one! Now ... to find a donor bicycle ... :D ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re: Emergency shelter/trailer

Postby D.J. » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 pm

D.J.
Teardrop Master

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers