Trailer brakes?

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Trailer brakes?

Postby Bulldog » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:45 pm

I am about to construct a trailer frame for a 5x8 teardrop. We own and will be hauling with a 2017 Honda CRV. My expectation is that the trailer will run the standard weight for a teardrop of this size. We will be using a torsion axle and 15” tires. Our plans are for typical highway and paved road driving with no doubt some gravel but no real off-roading. I have received mixed recommendations as to whether trailer brakes are necessary. What is the experience of the forum? Thanks!
Bulldog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer brakes?

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Bulldog wrote:I am about to construct a trailer frame for a 5x8 teardrop. We own and will be hauling with a 2017 Honda CRV. My expectation is that the trailer will run the standard weight for a teardrop of this size. We will be using a torsion axle and 15” tires. Our plans are for typical highway and paved road driving with no doubt some gravel but no real off-roading. I have received mixed recommendations as to whether trailer brakes are necessary. What is the experience of the forum? Thanks!

Well, the standard answer here is that you're better off to have brakes and not need them, than to suddenly need them and not have them. It's probably also the best answer.

Welcome to the forum!

Tom
173780 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:16 pm

Since your going to be pushing the limit with 1500 lb's (Yes if you can) :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bulldog » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:29 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Bulldog wrote:I am about to construct a trailer frame for a 5x8 teardrop. We own and will be hauling with a 2017 Honda CRV. My expectation is that the trailer will run the standard weight for a teardrop of this size. We will be using a torsion axle and 15” tires. Our plans are for typical highway and paved road driving with no doubt some gravel but no real off-roading. I have received mixed recommendations as to whether trailer brakes are necessary. What is the experience of the forum? Thanks!

Well, the standard answer here is that you're better off to have brakes and not need them, than to suddenly need them and not have them. It's probably also the best answer.

Welcome to the forum!

Tom

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!
Bulldog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:34 pm

They aren't needed until they are. You don't want a thousand pounds pushing your Honda when things are quickly going south, and you need to decelerate right now.

Brakes.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:55 pm

Brakes, fer sure...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Threads about the forum!