paint design HELP

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

paint design HELP

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:39 am

I found these pictures from Minden, NE last year and have no ideas whose trailer it is , but I love this paint design!! My tear will be the same shape, same fenders (got those yesterday) and will be cream where the silver is.

I am not doing aluminum but painted the wood.

I know there are Cad programs and photo shop, but you all here are so much more helpful. I'm wondering if someone can give me the ellipse or coordinates or whatever , to get the curve and all ... I will be getting the walls up this weekend, and know that I'll have to wait and measure the actual width etc.

thanks!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:05 am

Julie,

Sorry, can't help you with the curves, but I've seen several original Kit teardrops with that same paint scheme, and I think that is an original judging from the water inlet location.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:33 pm

To be honest, those sort of curves are often better drawn (or masking-taped) freehand. In particular, getting that side curve to taper smoothly away from the body edge is far easier to do by looking at it, than by trying to join up some points that you've measured somehow - the Mark 1 Human eyeball is a sophisticated setting-out device.

The one 'accessory' that might be useful is a piece of chalk on a piece of string, so that you can draw smooth circles on the side where you want them - though working out where the centre of the circle should be is really tricky. That won't help on the front or back as the centres of those curves are off the side of the body anyway.

What is vital is that you make the left and right curves on the front match each other and the same for the back. A good technique there would be to carefully mark in the centreline of the body, then trace the side you've already marked/taped, cut out the tracing, flip it over on the centreline marks and use it to mark/tape the other side. Sadly one of the things the Mark 1 human eyeball excels at is noticing differences between supposedly-matching shapes!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chip » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Julie,, one idea you might want to consider is using the scrap pieces of plywood from your side profile cut outs,, take the scraps and experiment with them till you get the swoop or swoosh you want,, any areas that arnt connected just use a straight edge,,, worked on da pickle,,,trace it off and then mask it off to the line and voila ya got a pattern close to what you want

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:12 pm

I used a string and pencil on a big peice of butcher paper, then drew it on the trailer then used tape. the hardest part is the point on the front. the ultra cool thing is to bring the swoop on the side up to meet your fender radius. too much for me. I left my hatch in aluminum. This is the stock Kit Mfg paint scheme.

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby apratt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:03 pm

I use to do a lot of pin striping and painting two tone on cars and trucks. I found it easier to do it in freehand or by eyesight with thin tape then paint.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I'd think the butcher paper would work well, Unless you felt like you could do it freehand

Take your time, it will work out great, YOU will know all the flaws, but nobody else will

In other words, don't beat yourself up over it, You will be perfect! ;)
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:45 pm

Oh, oh, oh ... look!

It's a heart-shape if you flatten the front to the side to the top. (Yeah, I know, but skip the curve over the fender for a second!)

So you could fold butcher paper in half and cut out the heart, then unfold it and trace that on the front and back. Then you can fold it back up and run the curved edge along the hatch and get your curves for the sides. Where the fold hits (in front of the fenders) you have the 'flat' for the sides.

You can decide if you want a "fat" heart or a "tall" heart.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks for all the good ideas, everybody! I do like that blue and cream one Matt! I'm still early in the build, but thinking ahead.

WOOHOO!!! :applause:
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Butcher paper will allow you to match the sides easier.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:09 am

oklahomajewel wrote: <snip>

I found these pictures from Minden, NE last year and have no ideas whose trailer it is , but I love this paint design!!

<snip>

thanks!!! Julie

Just a little trivia Julie. That KIT belongs to Stephan Paraskeva of Utah and Ma3tt's blue is really Spam Blue. :lol:

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Did you go to the ITG last year?
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:00 am

Thanks, Gage Thank you very much.
Have fun at Sweetwater if you ar going to visit, wrong weekend for us this year.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Return to Member Designs