old tent

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

old tent

Postby gasmanptb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:24 pm

I have an old tent (canvas) that I would like to put on a trailer. I need to get the dimensions off the tag again but was wondering if it would be considered a travel trailer? I have to build the frame and evey thing because the jokes cleaning out the old warehouse thew the old one away. I may just build a tear and take the tent with me as an out side room. Any way I will need andrew (OR someone) to help me with the frame drawing.

Cecil
gasmanptb
Teardrop Builder

Postby gasmanptb » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:59 pm

ALL right I have the dimensions it is an 8'4"x10'4". the actual minimum dim is are between 5'9"eves x 7'3"center to 5'6"eves x 7'0"Center. This should give the guys who draw a decent picture. This tag is dated April 18 1951. The tag is worn but readable and the tent was used once. needs a good washing but damn great condition. So now can some one help?
Cecil :worship:
gasmanptb
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:16 am

Cecil,

I think the lack of responses are because no-one has worked out what you're trying to do:
- Drive around with a tent erected on a flatbed trailer?
- Drive around with a flatbed trailer on which a tent gets erected when you stop?
- Build a new trailer to put an old pop-up tent on?

To be honest, neither of the first two make much sense - you can't tow a tent erected and why erect it on a flatbed trailer? And at 8'4" wide, it doesn't sound like an old pop-up tent - indeed 8'4" is a mighty wide trailer, whatever it is.

So you're going to need to give us some better idea of what you're trying to do, and then you should get some useful replies.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby gasmanptb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:31 am

For the trailerI was thinking a standard 4x8 utility with hinged (2ft) sections that fold out. It would be then an 8x10 platform for the tent. As the Tag of the tent states it is an 8x10 tent but gives all production dimensions and minimum dimensions after completion of the tent at the factory. Plus being canvas it could have shrunk a little. The frames is what I am truely after.

I think the trailer is the easy part. I like the tent idea because on the trailer it would be off the ground. But then again I could just build a tear and take the tent out for an out door area/ room (like all of you guys shelters and so on. So all I need is a good frame idea for the tent and if I do the trailer thing I will post that bastardization when I get it done. No site I have been to (or army surplus store) seems to have a frame or info on the frame. Oh Yeah it looks exactly like the the 4 to 6 man tent we used in the army. I think thats all for now.
Cecil
gasmanptb
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:38 am

Cecill, if what you are wanting is a frame to hold the tent up then you will probaly have to work that out for yourself...think conduit and a bender...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby gasmanptb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm

You know I was thinking that. What size do you think would be best. What conectors should be used if. Yes the electronics/ electrical dork is asking about this. I Never used this for actual load bearing construction. I do think it would be a nice addition for a tear though. Ma be giving the tent away if I can't get this done this summer. So stat tuned in for it. (if you want it)
gasmanptb
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:00 am

1/2" would probably be adequate but I would probably use 3/4...there are a variety of connectors that are used in the industy(electrical) that would prove sufficient also if you google "tent frame" you will find a wealth of info, materials and suppliers...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby chief5 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:19 pm

This might be what your looking for. www.haultent.com
chief5
Teardrop Builder

Postby Endo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:22 pm

chief5 wrote:This might be what your looking for. www.haultent.com

It looks well made but the base price is $8495.00! :o :o
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby chief5 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:36 pm

I agree it is pricey. I was just suggesting it as a design concept for the above mentioned tent. Looks like you could build one out of wood although you might not want to haul ATVs on it.

Lorn.
chief5
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs