My design to sleep 4 with a potty - What do you think?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My design to sleep 4 with a potty - What do you think?

Postby justduit » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:24 am

Having gone through many different thoughts towards design and not reaching a satisfactory one, I decided to take the opposite approach from what I had been doing. I was taking a size and trying to fit what I wanted inside. Instead I decided what I want, arranged it all, and then looked at what the size was. I ended up with a 6'6"x10'4" 6' tall. I was happy with what I ended up with, but eventually realized it would be too tall to build in my garage. It needs to be no more than about 78" total height. Back to the drawing board I went, considering my needs. Sleep 4 - 2 adults 2 children. I want a queen size for myself and the missus, and at least a standard full size for the kids, or 30" wide individual cots or bunks. I want to have the ability to sit all four at an inside table. Oh, I have also decided I want a potty room, possibly with the ability to shower also. Here's what I've come up with. It's 5'x12' 5' tall (inside) What do you think?:thumbsup: or :thumbdown:

The top bunk is supported by platforms running athwarts that become the seats and table top in day time configuration. The bottom mattress becomes the seat and seat back cushions. The little shelves that I show are attached to the head wall only, and flip up when not in use. I haven't worked out all of the shower details yet, but I believe that I at least have plenty of room for a portable potty to go in there. There will be a curtain to close off the head when in use. The windows I show are just random thoughts, I think there should be one for the top and one for the bottom.

Thanks for Looking,

Mark
justduit
Teardrop Inspector

thinking...

Postby stbuch » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:14 am

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what do you do with the mattresses that aren't being used in the "daytime configuration"?

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby justduit » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:32 am

stbuch wrote
what do you do with the mattresses that aren't being used in the "daytime configuration"?

Sherrie

Roll it up and stow it under one of the benches.

Mark
justduit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:43 am

Mark,
I make that at almost 12' long.
Looks good to me. :thumbsup:
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby justduit » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:58 am

Miriam C. wrote:Mark,
I make that at almost 12' long.
Looks good to me. :thumbsup:
Miriam

Thanks Miriam. Yep, it's 12' long :D

Mark
justduit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rdkng07 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:30 am

Hi Mark,
I like what you're doing there. Do you plan on keeping it in your garage? If not, there are other ways to get the job done in the garage and still have the 6' height you wanted. You could put casters on the frame while you build and once outside put the wheels on you plan on using. It would be close but it might work. Just a thought. I don't have a nice shop to build in either. I have a one car garage that I keep everything in including my Road King. I see some here have built outside, I'm thinking about doing just that.

Good luck with the build.
Rodger
rdkng07
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 am

:thumbsup:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby justduit » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:14 am

rdkng07 wrote:Hi Mark,
I like what you're doing there. Do you plan on keeping it in your garage? If not, there are other ways to get the job done in the garage and still have the 6' height you wanted. You could put casters on the frame while you build and once outside put the wheels on you plan on using. It would be close but it might work. Just a thought. I don't have a nice shop to build in either. I have a one car garage that I keep everything in including my Road King. I see some here have built outside, I'm thinking about doing just that.

Good luck with the build.

Rodger,

I probably won't store it in my garage all the time, but before and after trips packing up and cleaning up. Otherwise, it will be stored at an RV storage lot. My neighborhood rules don't permit parking a trailer on the driveway or building outside. I do have a 2 car garage, so Mama's minivan can stay parked inside for most of the build :lol:

Mark
justduit
Teardrop Inspector

Big Tear?

Postby justduit » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:14 am

I was just going through the Wild Designs and saw the design for the "Big Tear"

and realized how similair my design is to this one. Has anyone built this or something like it, or is this just the brain child of Mike?

Mark
justduit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 pm

As far as I know, this exists only in pixel form... :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs