Dusting off an old project.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Dusting off an old project.

Postby bg » Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 am

Back in October, I started an 8' Jim Dandy, Had some money issues and other problems, and stopped to pursue a steel Ultralight, which has it's own set of problems.

Anyhow, I'm getting back to the Jim Dandy Tear, Which at last post looked something like this:

Now, over the past few months, I've had to dissassemble it and it looks more like this now:

I've also used the spars for other projects, and frankly, I had gone about the whole process the wrong way. I tied up ALOT of money ($500+) in a frame before I started on the shell, big mistake. I also was planning on uninsulated other than the floor and roof, New plan is to fully insulate, re-cutting the sides as framing.

I'm also going to spend the extra $50 for bendy ply and build a hatch onto the rear, as well as a tongue box on the front.

Goal is to have a usable tear by Jan '07, and hopefully complete by December '07.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed May 10, 2006 9:48 am

...wondered what you had done with the JD...now that you aren't running all over the country, it is time to get 'er out and get 'er dun, so's ya can go campin' with the rest of us....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bg » Wed May 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Gotta admit driving across the country was kinda fun with someone else paying for it.

Two things I'm changing, Going to a 5' width and adding a rear galley

I worked on a drawing the fenders today, So far this is what I have:

And the Fender added to the profile:

I'm not 100% done with the fender drawings, but the idea is there.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby bg » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:07 pm

Talk about dragging an old thread back up, eh? Finally making some progress, I need to have this thing water-tight by the end of the month.

click for full size
click for full size
click for full size
click for full size

Decided to skin the exterior and insulate the sides. Lightens it up ALOT.

I'm really starting to hate the frame I built last year. It'll work but it's gonna be heavier than I wanted it to be.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Ron » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm

Glad to see you back to work on your tear bg. Hope to see you out there camping soon.

Ron
Ron
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs