Contemplating A Better Hatch Design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Contemplating A Better Hatch Design

Postby Mikel46516 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:05 pm

This is a post regarding water infiltration. I've done enough research of teardrop campers to know about the Frederick's Method of hatch construction. My problem with that design, and other similar ones, is that they ultimately rely on a hurricane hinge, which to function correctly must overhang the sidewalls of the camper. Can you imagine if automobiles were designed this way with an externally mounted waterproof piano-type hinge that extends over the sides? Not very elegant.

I may try my hand designing and building a hatch that is more car-like, but I would hate to reinvent the wheel if this has already been accomplished. Has anyone here designed and built using a water-proofing system closer to how a modern automobile hatchback is put together with two hinges and gutters and weatherstripping directing the water away from the interior?

Thanks,
Mike
Mikel46516
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Contemplating A Better Hatch Design

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:31 pm

My design has several improvements to Fredrick's design, and it, like Fredrick's, has a rain gutter like a car.

I've never had a speck of water get in.

You need to understand--perhaps your do--that the overhang is there to keep water from running uphill and back into the center of the hinge beyond the gutter.

Tony

But to answer your question, you should look at Brad Drury's build thread. He went with something mimicking a car. It's waterproof but might not be dustproof. Dunno about that for sure, but I think his hatch to four or five attempts.

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=58223
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Contemplating A Better Hatch Design

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:55 pm

Design it so if the seal fails, it's still keeps the water out. Tony's design illustrates this.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs