Your thoughts?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Your thoughts?

Postby RAD » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:07 am

I'm looking to build a tear to tow behind my Lowrider Merc. I want a 'futuristic' type design.
The parts available over here arent always/necessarily the same as in US .We are also quite restricted on camping areas here ,nothing as far as I know like pine/redwood forests etc,well not in abundance anyway! My tear use will be restricted to rod runs,shows etc ,and not camping for campings sake ,I f you get my drift? I want it ready to roll at most times ,and quick/ easy to park/pitch/use . I intend to build a four wheeler ,using trailer susp units and Austin Mini wheels (10" or 12" rims,about 18"/20" o/all diam ) close coupled ,I think this will keep a lot of weight off the rear airbags of the car .I ,of course will give it nose weight etc. Am thinking about reverse framing ,ie frame on outside (poss stainless steel tube),suspending skin beneath/inboard of frame ,with a lattice type lightweight girder construction . At the moment over here prices of aly/steel have ROCKETED ,so Im looking at poss using f/glass panels.I see lots of 'yours' made of plywood ,and painted ,but TBH I aint convinced that will be any good in our crappy weather over here ! Altho' I am going to think carefully about design ,i dont intend to dwell on it for long ,as I find I then get so tangled up with it in me brain ,I give up! ...SO....theres my basic idea! I reckon it will work ,but shoot me down if you got any comments! My main prob is getting a good shaped design// to practical use ratio!
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 am

Lots of views,no replies,so I'll talk to meself............. :) ..hey its a blog!!!
Have now found a trailer to do the job ,but its 2 wheeled ,so I'll use that,running indespension units,with a pressed steel hitch.This will lend itself to a more traditional shape. I'll go for a curved trad front to disipate the wind drag a bit.I dont need a large cook area in the rear ,so I'll dispense with all the probs a lift up rear brings with it. My last TD had a cooker/sink unit ,large gas bottle etc.Iand I hardly ever used it !(different usage here in UK!)I 'll do a slide out side to accomodate cook stuff ,as I only use a small calor stove anyway. Large lift up plexiglass side doors top hinged . Yeah I know ..pics ...pics you shout !!! I'll get a mock up under way asap,I promise! Already rough drawn it on a sheet of 8x4 ply.Ordered some samples of cheap 5mm f/glass sheets in 8x4 size ,hope the quality is ok!but may have to use a aly panel roof to get the curvature @ fr/rear. Now thinking about a pull out style side awning for quick erection (oo er!) using home built mechanism that will hold it taught and rip stop nylon cover that I just happen to have here!
Regards Rod
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Re: Your thoughts?

Postby Mauleskinner » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:05 pm

RAD wrote:I'm looking to build a tear to tow behind my Lowrider Merc. I want a 'futuristic' type design.

Have you seen Doug's Rockettear? http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=16307&highlight=rockettear
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby RAD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes Ive seen that ! A lot of work ,and a nice tear ,but a bit gimmicky for me !
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:54 am

Today Ive found some sidewall material. Its 11mm o/all thickness ,and is plywood with a white f/glass coating on each side. Very smooth surface.It is used for the sides of truck bodies ,is 2420 wide ,by literally any length you ask for .I'll use this for the sides ,due to its sturdiness it will eliminate a lot of heavy framing .I intend to put one 'hoop' of 1x1 box above the axle line to attach the sides and roof to . This will serve as a strengthener and also as a joining point for the 2 sheets of aly I intend to use for the roof. Have got a final design for the pull out side table/pantry/storage 'shelf'. Will get some pics of the design up tammara!
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby swissarmygirl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:40 am

How about a pic of the Merc???
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby RAD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:45 am

RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 am

Your idea of a merc and our idea of a merc is a whole different thing

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby RAD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Yup,sure is ! But believe me I'd sooner have one of 'yours'!
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Re: Your thoughts?

Postby COMP » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 am

Mauleskinner wrote:
RAD wrote:I'm looking to build a tear to tow behind my Lowrider Merc. I want a 'futuristic' type design.

Have you seen Doug's Rockettear? http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=16307&highlight=rockettear

:thumbsup:
COMP
Teardrop Builder

Postby schaney » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:42 am

Rad, if you are experienced using fiberglass, why not mold some panels from Merc so your trailer and car match :thinking:

On a side note, if you epoxy seal plywood, your damp UK weather will not be a problem. It works fine in my wet Oregon weather and in boat building.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby RAD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 pm

schaney...yes Ive thought of that ,even bought another Merc to cut it up to do it! But changed my mind at the last minute! have built trailers from back half of matching car in the past . ............
Today I ordered some hockey stick edging to cover the roof / side join ,it will follow the side outline from front to back . Ordering the plexiglass for the side window/flap tomorrow. Gotta find away to seal the flap to the body ,will have to doodle on some paper tonight. Thinking about a custom built stainless frame to go round the plexi,with a rubber seal all round.
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAD » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:22 am

Just looking in to using f/glass sheeting (the type used for truck roofs..1.3mm thick) for the roof . It can be bought in any length ,so no joins to worry about water ingress,but not too sure if it'll go round the end curves OK .Works out about 2/3rds the cost of Aly sheet.Hey Ho ,still waiting for deliv of the 5mm plexiglass for the door ,mouldings etc ,then gotta find some stainless hinges for the plexi.Found some nice aly channel(old vertical window-blind runners) for the roof cross spars.Not going to start this build until I got all the materials by me.
Well,signing off for about 2 weeks now (not that you'll miss me ,cos I speak to meself anyway!lol)sad aint I?,going on vacation to Italy(backpacking..woo hoo !!). Spk to you all on my return!
byeeeeeeeeeee!
RAD
Teardrop Builder

Postby Novanut » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:24 am

bobhenry wrote:Your idea of a merc and our idea of a merc is a whole different thing

Now, That's a Lowrider Merc :thumbsup:
Novanut
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:53 am

I think you will need to come up with your own design or go to google image and show us what turns you on. what I come up with may be to futurisic for you.

some guys have come up with ones that look like they're car. Twins so to speak.

http://images.google.com/images?q=matching+car+and+trailer&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=2

good luck
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Member Designs