THE SCION TEAM

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

THE SCION TEAM

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:30 pm

There boxy but their good !

Don't think of it as a scion clone think of it as a box trailer with a tongue box. The front "Hood" will lift up just like the car and will be storage with a seperate vented compartment for propane tank. vented battery box on the opposite side in its own compartment the rest storage. I'll keep trying but the scion trailer is in my gallery. %$#@*&* Computers anyway !!![/img]

Here ya go:Image
and: Image [compliments of toypusher]
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:53 pm

Toypusher :

Thanks for the assist !! :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rainjer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:02 pm

How much can you tow with the Sion Xb? How much tongue weight? I think that is going to be you biggest problem whith your design.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:09 am

rainjer wrote:How much can you tow with the Sion Xb? How much tongue weight? I think that is going to be you biggest problem whith your design.

It handled Chubby to Kentucky and back 750 miles and he's a 5x10. I am guessing he's approx 950 lbs haven't weighted him yet . The Scion didn't like anything over 65 MPH. The 5x10 is talled than the tow vehicle and I think the problem was more aerodynamics than weight.The tear towed well at state highway speeds 50 -60.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:17 pm

rainjer wrote:How much can you tow with the Sion Xb? How much tongue weight? I think that is going to be you biggest problem whith your design.

I went looking to see what the manafacturer says and guess what the answer is N/A. So it's tow rating is a question unanswered !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Geron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:19 pm

Yeah, I have one and seems like I read somewhere in the manual. Not rated for towing. Not recommended.

However, I towed bunches of 'stuff" with my 13-1500 cc VW engines (in years past).

Once towed over 1200 lbs of brick on a flatbed (with VW). They'll do it even though not rated. I'd worry about a auto tranny overheating though (with many steep inclines) . my vw was manual shift. So I'd take second gear and chug along up an incline.

before I ever heard of a TD I build a "Box" camper on a 4x8 chassis. Ipulled that thing up Grassy Mt. (dirt roads) in the Cohutta Wilderness area with a 1500 cc VW. Definitely some challenging inclines on that trip. Made the trip many times.

Of course I did'nt worry about the engine and transaxle in the VW. I had one in the car and one in the basement (being rebuilt). Got to where I could change an engine out in about 30 minutes with 2 floor jacks. Don't know how many of those things I built over the 20 years I owned that little bug.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cguardsman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:54 pm

i have one as a company car and i probably wouldn't tow with the automatic but there is another member on here with a stick that tows with his. i like my box :)
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

WEIGHT

Postby MARVIN THOMPSON » Fri May 23, 2008 8:53 am

I HAVE A 2006 XB. WHEN I BOUGHT IT THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS RATED AT 200LBS . THEY HAD A TOE PACKAGE FOR IT.
MARVIN THOMPSON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 23, 2008 9:12 am

Why stop with one ?

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: THE SCION TEAM

Postby Nut » Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 am

bobhenry wrote:There boxy but their good !

Don't think of it as a scion clone think of it as a box trailer with a tongue box. The front "Hood" will lift up just like the car and will be storage with a seperate vented compartment for propane tank. vented battery box on the opposite side in its own compartment the rest storage. I'll keep trying but the scion trailer is in my gallery. %$#@*&* Computers anyway !!![/img]

Here ya go:Image
and: Image [compliments of toypusher]

I like it. I love when people design their trailer to look like something else.
Nut
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jebnflash » Sun May 25, 2008 7:54 pm

hi Bob,

Can you please tell me again how it is leagal to tow two trailers, I am not doughting you, just thinking about pulling a small boat behind my rig when its done
jebnflash
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 25, 2008 11:42 pm

In conversation with the folks in the picture they said your legal as long as the total length does not exceed 46 feet he is 45' 6" by pure accident.

That's all I know ! I have seen them at gatherings for 2 years and they have never had issues with any officer during their travels.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby del » Sat May 31, 2008 3:09 pm

jebnflash wrote:hi Bob,

Can you please tell me again how it is leagal to tow two trailers, I am not doughting you, just thinking about pulling a small boat behind my rig when its done
Each state has different rules, so check with your state, and any state you will be traveling in.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat May 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Bob,
personally, I never liked the styling of the styling of the Aztec, the Honda (?) or the Scion but that's just me.. That's just the styling. Now the functionallity of these vehicles is something else again. Theye offer cargo room and features that most SUV's or cross overs don't.

I did see a new Scion today and it looked a lot better (to me). It was a lot more streamlined and smoother looking. I don't know anything about the drive train.

As long as it can pull a teardrop it can't be bad. :lol:

It is pretty amazing that your Scion can pull the Chubby even thought is likes the speed limit pretty well.
Any "hot" tranny problems that you've noticed? :thinking:

I like unusual cars and the fact that they pull teardrops makes them even better. :thumbsup:

Is there as "Sci-drop" in your future? :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby PanelDeland » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:21 pm

If I were towing with a Scion or(insert other small vehicle with auto tranny here)I think the best upgrade for the TV would be a tranny cooler.And with a small engine doing so much work an engine oil cooler might help.It should give you more oil volume and help keep the engine running cooler.Heat is the biggest enemy of an engine and it's associated fluids so barring being able to increase the size of the radiator these seem like the logical ways to help keep it cool and alive.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs