My Aero Design.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My Aero Design.

Postby bhoogeboom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Was playing around with Sketchup this past week.
Trying to come up with a design of a small lightweight camper for my Saturn to pull. To be a little more aero-dynamic.

The entry would be through the front and would be enclosed with canvas type material. No details yet(doors,windows, etc.).

Might do a cardboard mockup to see if this would make any sense.

I think this was 4' tall by 10' long.
I think a 3' tall, 8' long could work because of the headroom the
front arch makes.

Thought I might throw this out there for any suggestions.
bhoogeboom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm

:applause: looking for ward to watching this built. :thumbsup: 3' tall might be an issue if you plan on sitting up in bed. With the top at 3' then the head of the bed is even less with the curve.

How wide will it be. You will need to make storage on the side since you are entering from the front.......... :applause: :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bhoogeboom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 pm

In the drawing above, the camper is 4' tall closed.
With the fron hatch open, there is 5', maybe more where the head of the bed would be. I think a 3' version would get 4'+ depending on how far the front hatch was opened up to.
bhoogeboom
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:54 am

We have seen suicide doors before but a suicide hatch :shock:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tinksdad » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 am

Interesting concept. The tongue may be an issue getting in and out; but maybe not.

I'm off to work in a few minutes. Would you object to my playing with your design later this evening so I can rotate it and visualize from other viewpoints?
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby bhoogeboom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am

tinksdad,
Go for it, I'm new to sketchup so it's gonna take awhie for me to get
looking the way I want it to be. There are definitely alot of details missing. I've got the design further along in manual drawings. Got a few other ideas to make it more compact and still have space for two.
bhoogeboom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm

bhoogeboom wrote:In the drawing above, the camper is 4' tall closed.
With the fron hatch open, there is 5', maybe more where the head of the bed would be. I think a 3' version would get 4'+ depending on how far the front hatch was opened up to.

:thinking: So I am missing something. 8) Where the head of the bed to be? If you put it toward the tongue you will be stepping over the pillows to go to bed. Unless the bed goes across of course. :twisted: Love a new build.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dewi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 pm

I was thinking the same thing... foot prints on the pillows.

Could I ask, is there a galley with this design? Really like it, and I think the profile is ace... just curious to how it works in practise.

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm

I'd be concerned that driving rain would work it's way in...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tinksdad » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Not having your exact profile to work with; I had to make some assumptions and took a couple of liberties with the design. Rather than draw the frame and then put the body on, I used a HF 4x8 frame that had previously drawn and added your body to it. My renders of your idea are based on a 4x8 footprint with the walls at 4 foot also. I just put in a few basic spars to illustrate. I also framed in an opening for a roof vent, even though you didn't mention one in the description.

If, as Auntie M surmises, you will be sleeping with your head to the front (tongue end), I would recommend adding storage cabinets above your feet to add rigidity to the structure. The long hatch concerns me because you may get some flexing and/or bowing of the side walls there. Also, it would probably be fairly heavy, so you would need a good support (lifting) system.

I think it could be a workable design; it just has a few things to consider prior to starting the build.

If you would like a copy of the Sketchup file, PM me your e-mail and I'll send it. (I don't believe I can add attachments through the forum mail system.)

P.S. The people are not of my design. I imported them from the Google Sketchup library.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby DrCrash » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Lol she is wearing stileto's :o
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Re: My Aero Design.

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:40 pm

bhoogeboom wrote:........ To be a little more aero-dynamic.

Not wishing to throw water on this idea if you want something that is different, but if your goal is to reduce wind resistance there will not likely be any benefit in turning the body of a standard teardrop around. It will be in somewhat trashy air behind your vehicle. If it were in clean air it would probably have more drag than a standard teardrop. Just had to say it.

I wish you the best on your plans to put together a tear that you can use and enjoy.

:thumbsup:

BTW, is that camping buddy v2.3?
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby bhoogeboom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:49 am

tinksdad,
You are a master using sketchup.
Good job.

Sent a PM.

Thought about going a little more compact with access from the sides
instead of from the front. This new model is 6' long, 3' tall closed up.

The canvased area would be a slide-out, giving about 7' in length for sleeping quarters. Entry would be gained through the sides of the extension. No more dirty feet on the pillows.

bhoogeboom
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs