my off road trailer build

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

my off road trailer build

Postby hugh » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:46 am

First 2 pictures of the frame. 2x2 3/16ths wall tubing with a 2000lb 48 inch hub face to hub face axle. It's mounted spring over and has 31 inch by 10.5 wide goodyear tires and uses a pintle hitch. The trailer will have a rough interior width of 5 feet and will wind up being approx 8 1/2 feet long. I want it to be 5 feet high at least inside but have not settled on the exact height just yet. The angled portion at the rear is to give an extra foot and a half length for the galley/storage and to allow the trailer to travel over some of rough terrain we take without dragging it,s tail.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby devigata » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 am

Interesting rear angle on the frame. I'll be watching your build.

What's that red trailer in the background of the second picture?
devigata
Donating Member

Postby hugh » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 am

the red trailer is another off road unit I bought from a fellow a few blocks away to use on our may long weekend trip. It uses a samari rear axle and was running the same tires. It worked OK but after using it I decided to build something closer to what I needed which I based on reading hundreds of posts here :) . Today much of the floor will go in and then on Wednesday I will take the trailer to my favorite off road spot to run it through the area I use as a benchmark for capability. Here's a pic of one spot.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby devigata » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:51 am

hugh wrote:Image

Now THAT'S a bit of a step! Yikes! Is the tongue on the new trailer going to be long enough?

Keep the pics coming.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby hugh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 pm

3 more pictures. I now have the floor installed, it is 5/8ths plywood with the black tar applied to the underside and 2" insulation applied to the spaces in the frame held on by strips of plywood then more tar applied to the underneath of that. The wheel wells were made a bit oversize since in the future when gas prices get real stupid I will convert it to spring under with smaller tires. In that same vein the pintle eye slides into a reciever tube that bolts to the tongue. Then I applied some water seal to the topside of the deck since it needs to be stored outside for a couple of weeks while I save up for more parts.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby hugh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:59 pm

heres a couple of test shots to see if the concept will work and it did, so in a couple of weeks more progress
In one spot the metal piece holding the license plate just touched the ground on an uphill so the angled rear also works pretty good. Needless to say once the build is complete I won,t be taking it over terrain this rough. Also it is a 80 mile drive to reach this area and the trailer pulled like a dream :)
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Looks like fun! What is the rest of the trailer oging to look like? :thumbsup:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby hugh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I like the weekender shape so I will be borrowing heavily from that style.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby hugh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:27 pm

score :D My neighbor gave me 2 slider windows that will be great in the doors for free, then I found 2 crank out type windows for the ends for $35. And today I stopped at the local car insurance auction place and picked up the roof of a starcraft tent trailer for $5. The aluminum trim on it will come in very handy. It has about 14' of driprail and 20'of a type of T molding with half of that having a piece for a canopy, and I think I will be able to cut the roof down from its 6 1/2 by 10' size to the approx 5 by 8 1/2'. It is a foam filled piece about 1 1/2" thick with a thin white alum covering. A couple more weeks and some plywood for the sides should show up and then more progress will happen.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs