Wanting to build

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Wanting to build

Postby cleidus88 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:01 pm

A tear drop with aluminum trailer top frame made of aluminum tubing sided with aluminum sheet metal and insulated with styrofoam then rino line the ext. has anyone else done this? If so any tip
cleidus88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NightCap » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I have seen some people do some of that but not all. Rhino lining is a great look. There are some that have had the rhino lining for several years. You should as them how it has been holding up. Good luck with the build. I can't wait to see the pictures.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TheDuke » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 pm

I didn't quite catch what you're proposing. Is the Rhino lining going on the outside of the trailer, or the inside? That stuff is fairly bulletproof, isn't it? That would be great for the weather, but doesn't it look pretty rough?

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:26 pm

TheDuke wrote:I didn't quite catch what you're proposing. Is the Rhino lining going on the outside of the trailer, or the inside? That stuff is fairly bulletproof, isn't it? That would be great for the weather, but doesn't it look pretty rough?

TheDuke

Ive seen it in blue and it looks nice. The texture is rough, but looks good. No slip surface for tear surfing down the road. :lol:
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 pm

:thinking: I am wondering why you would want to put Rhino liner on Aluminum? Seems like over kill but if that is what you like :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:35 pm

I've seen it in blue too...

But like Miriam said, why cover aluminum?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cleidus88 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't clear the framing would be aluminum skin would be plain sheet metal, cause isn't sheet metal stronger than aluminum. As for the the rhino liner I like the look and I could spray it and have a water ttight seal.
cleidus88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:00 am

Hiya, cleidus88!

I think I see what you are trying to accomplish, and I don't see any problems with what you are proposing ... except that I would go ahead and skin with aluminum sheet and line the inside with 1/8" luan plywood. Any "strength" you might loose by going with sheet aluminum over the sheet steel will be adequately made up for with the Rhino-lining. However, if the trailer will be over 4' wide, why not think about using galvanized sheet metal, about the same thickness as aluminum, .040"? That's what I'm doing for a customer's 4.5' wide teardrop that will get Rhino-lined on the top ...

Good Luck with the project, and keep us "in the loop" as to it's progress! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 am

Arn't ya making a battery ? steel in contact with aluminum is inviting galvanic corrosion. They fight it in the semi trailer industry all the time !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby grant whipp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:32 pm

bobhenry wrote:... steel in contact with aluminum is inviting galvanic corrosion ...

Not if you put a barrier between 'em ... ;)
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Member Designs