My tear drop design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My tear drop design

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:18 pm

I have just started building my first teardrop. It will be a 4 X 9.5 or 10' when done. It will be bullt on a 4 X 8 red folding trailer. (I have had it 5 years.) I upgraded the wheels & tires a few years ago to 4.8 X 12.

I have done few things to start converting it into a teardrop:
I reinforce the side rails where it folds.
Replaced the tongue with 2.5 X 2.5 X .120" steel tubing, it is also 1 ft. longer.
Replaced the "U" channel axel with 1.5 X 1.5 X .188" square tube.
Added a tongue jack.

I am now in the process of sanding & repainting the frame with Rust-Oleum gloss black paint.

This is my concept drawing of the paint scheme.

The paint scheme is based on a 1959 Rambler Ambassador. I was inspired by some tail lights I was give from a 58-59 Rambler.

I beleive I will be callin it "Rainbassador"
Last edited by rainjer on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Chris C » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:37 pm

Looks pretty slick. 8) But would it be too much to ask that you resize the image to a smaller one? That way those of us reading the rest of this thread won't spend the entire time scrolling back and forth. Thanks.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby JunkMan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Looks like your axel might be a little too far back. Nice graphics!
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:04 pm

JunkMan wrote:Looks like your axel might be a little too far back. Nice graphics!

The over all length is 160". The body is 120", with 12" hanging off the back of the trailer frame. The axle will be 48-50' from the rear. That will give me a 11.5% tongue weight.

The main purpose of my teardrop will be for me to go hunting or fishing by myself (maybe with one of the kids) for 3-5 days at a time.

I will be going with a 100% 12 volt system running 2 marine deep cycle. They will be mounted on the tongue with the LP gas. I will carry a 25ft extension cord to charge the batteries. I will plumb the LP gas from the tongue, under the trailer, to the galley. I plan on putting a 5-6 Gallon water tank with a hand/12 volt pump with and a small sink. I am not sure where I will put the water tank.

This will be a very basic trailer with a few extras.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby angib » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:57 am

rainjer,

Nice shape!

One problem you could face is that the long slope down the back of your body means it will be a long, long way in to your galley worktop/cupboards.

As you're extending your body behind the frame, can I interest you in an idea I had a while ago, to use a fold down (or up) section of floor so that you can reach the galley without breaking your back. I've drawn it out your trailer to show the idea:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:16 pm

I took the basic design from your Harbor Freight Trailer Design. I am going to mock my trailer up in cardboard to get the feel & look for these kind if issues.

I had an idea of putting the entire lower galley on drawer slides & hinge the countertop to flip open to the back to increase the overall counter space. I am going to put a sliding shelf for the stove to get it as far out of the trailer as I can. I will post some sketch ideas of the galley as I work it out.

BTW, what CAD program are you using?
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:31 pm

angib wrote:rainjer,

One problem you could face is that the long slope down the back of your body means it will be a long, long way in to your galley worktop/cupboards.

Andrew

Thats the main reason I put a radius in the back.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby angib » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:54 pm

rainjer wrote:BTW, what CAD program are you using?

TurboCad - a cheap AutoCad alternative.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Member Designs