Windsong Construction

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby jplock » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Well I am at a major milestone, most all of the major prodjects are over. I have the Windsong loaded with all my tools ready to haul home from the teardrop shop. I will some time after the first of the year order and install some shocks and probably put a nicer covering on the hatch door.
After I get it home and and cleaned up I will try to take it out on a pretty day and get some finished photos. It has been fun sharing with everybody my pictures and thank you all for your time. I also want to say thanks to the folks who run this site for their time invested in it, and the web space to be able to post pictures and look at them.
Installed 5 inch 12 volt computer fan for ventilation.
Loaded with tools ready to haul home from the tear drop shop.
Again Thanks to all!
jplock
:P :P :P
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:16 pm

:P :P :relaxing: What timing!!! Now you can spend the holidays relaxing and enjoying a job well done.

Merry Christmas to all.
See ya down the road. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rbeemer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:03 pm

JPlock,

Amazing build but don't think of leaving the forum yet, there are lots of rookies(I are one) and veterans that need to keep seein' them pics of your travels and such 8) 8) :thumbsup:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Jp

Could you tell me what the radius is on the Towbox you have built or what the size of it is? Im building one about the same and yours came very close as to what I have in mind..

Classic Finn

PS - very nice tear you have built :applause: :applause:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rainjer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:24 pm

I may just have to "borrow" your extension table design. :D
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby toypusher » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:28 pm

rainjer wrote:I may just have to "borrow" your extension table design. :D

I really like that too! Where do you stow it when not in use??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby jplock » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm

The radius on the tongue box was approxamtely 13", The width was 38", the height was 24".

The Table will be stored on the cabinet top or thrown on to of the bed in the cabin while traveling.

PS I hope to be installing some shocks on it real soon I will try to post the pictures of them.

jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby jplock » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Well today windsong has started getting shocks installed on it. They are Monroe 555002 shocks, and RB514 mount kit. The RB514 bracket had to be modified by cutting of the lower flange and lowered it 1 and 1/2 inch by welding in a peice of metal. Thanks to my Father in Law for doing the welding. It is well on it's way to being shock equipped.
jplock

Monroe #555002 Shocks

Side view

Inside frame looking to rear.

PS Last week I went to a computer grahics company and got stickers made that are Scissor Tail Fly Catcher Birds. There are 2 on each side and one one the front to give it an Oklahoma Theme as the Scissor Tail Fly Catcher is the State Bird. Also got stickers on the front which is THE US Flag and The Oklahoma Flag. I kind of got the idea for my decorations from the Blue Bonnet Tear from the Great State of Texas where my two sons were born. It has Blue Bonnets and the windsong has Scissor Tail Fly Catchers.
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:53 am

I think the shocks are a good idea. But, if it were me, I would put gussets on those mounts for strength. I tend to over build though.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:59 am

JP, I would also highly recommend a gusset of some type...otherwise there will be a lotta pressure on the weld...even if just one in the center of each mount.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:57 am

jplock wrote:PS Last week I went to a computer grahics company and got stickers made that are Scissor Tail Fly Catcher Birds.

I've seen one of those on my back fence.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jplock » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the advice on the gussets. It sounds like a good idea to me too. Again Thanks!
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Phil, I see the bumpstop on the frame. Do you know if you've ever bottomed out enough to use that? Will you take them off now that the shocks have been added?

I'm REALLY considering adding shocks now that I've seen your setup. Your springs and axle (axle on top) look just like my Jim Dandy suspension.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Warpony,
I will leave on the bumpstops, and I don't recall ever hearing or noticed that it has bottomed oout hitting the bump stop. I will ocasionally get on a rough back road somewhere and I do have a SUV to tow it with and there is approxamately 14'' of ground clearence on the trailer. I could venture int some places that could almost be considered off roading. That is why I will leave the bumpstops. Oh by the way the bumpstops are what goes Jeep CJ rear axle. I will let you know how they work out. I hope it prevents scrambled eggs in the ice chest when it is riding in the rear. I had a batch of scrambled eggs on the way to the LCG campout last fall.
jplock
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:14 pm

jplock wrote:I had a batch of scrambled eggs on the way to the LCG campout last fall.

They probably got scrambled driving through Shreveport on I-20!! Holy crap, more than once did I think my TTT was going to flip over on it's side!!!

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs