SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby stomperxj » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:36 pm

So I have been saving loose change for some time and since I have no job and no money to buy materials I decided to cash in the change jar and buy some trailer stuff with it. It has been in the 70's the last few days so I figured why not...

This is what 15.5 lbs of change looks like. $170+ using a Coinstar machine. Plus I got a Lowes card so there was no 9% fee either...

Anyway - I bought a bunch of 5.2mm ply for the skin, all my hinges, skin for the door and a cam lock for the rear cargo door. I did some experimenting with kerf cutting the back side for the corners. I did about 2/3rds depth and 1/4" apart. Seems to work pretty good. I got the cam lock and the seal surface done for the cargo door. Also got the first piece of inside skin done.

Hopefully more this week...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Got more done the last couple days. Did some skin work on the hatch, made upper strut brackets, started on a door, made the latch for the rear cargo...

Anyway, blah blah blah... here's some pics

More later-
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Good job on that small radius. Gotta love that change jar. I used to have one. :lol: I think it went camping. :oops: Or fishing or something..........

Just keep plugging away and good luck with the job thing. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby stomperxj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Miriam C. wrote::applause: :thumbsup: Good job on that small radius. Gotta love that change jar. I used to have one. :lol: I think it went camping. :oops: Or fishing or something..........

Just keep plugging away and good luck with the job thing. :thumbsup:

Thanks Miriam :)

Thanks to everyone who voiced their opinion in my Color Choice poll. I think I have decided to go with this scheme:

So I originally thought I'd build my doors from 1 1/8" plywood. I cut one out and then didn't like it too much, plus I had to change the way the door seals worked and how I was mounting the handles.... So I decided regular sandwich construction doors were in order. I also decided to just buy some hinges and bag the idea of making my own. They weren't turning out very nice. I got one door done the last day and a half or so. I used Tirebond III and 1" staples. I'm going to break the pics into two posts...

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:55 pm

More pics:

More later... Thanks for looking...

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Dewi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:55 am

Still can't over the amount of work you go to with every detail... everytime you update your thread, I feel like I'm getting taught new techniques and ideas keep exploding in my head... I'm either getting cleverer, or the brain cells are imploding due to an overload of information :?

Love the colour scheme as well... are you skinning the outside with aluminium or painting the wood or???

One thing I've blatantly stolen from you is the use of tee nuts... found a place over here that sells them for 3 pence each, they'll pop up everywhere in my pics once I start building proper.

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby ready2camp » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:20 am

That is a fantastic build you have there. I like the design, and the quality of your work is second to none. Look forward to seeing the completed project.
ready2camp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 am

Dewi wrote:Still can't over the amount of work you go to with every detail... everytime you update your thread, I feel like I'm getting taught new techniques and ideas keep exploding in my head... I'm either getting cleverer, or the brain cells are imploding due to an overload of information :?

Love the colour scheme as well... are you skinning the outside with aluminium or painting the wood or???

One thing I've blatantly stolen from you is the use of tee nuts... found a place over here that sells them for 3 pence each, they'll pop up everywhere in my pics once I start building proper.

Cheers, Dewi

Thanks Dewi - I love using those tee nuts. I ordered a box of 100 and thought I'd have a ton left over but I have actually used 56 of 'em so far. As many times as I take things apart to check fit and adjust, using plain old wood screws would be horrible. I'd strip them all out for sure... I'm going to CPES the outside and then use a single stage automotive urethane primer/paint. It costs a little more than using marine paint or house paint but it should look nice with it matched up to my tow vehicle...

ready2camp wrote:That is a fantastic build you have there. I like the design, and the quality of your work is second to none. Look forward to seeing the completed project.
'

Thanks R2C
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

I have to agree with everyone...great workmanship, beautiful and well thought out design and design details, lts of innovation...your Tear has it all going!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Carter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:09 am

stomperxj wrote:Yeah metal is the easy part for me. The wood will be a challenge...

You shouldn't have worried. Beautiful and innovative build. I'm impressed, you'd make a great modelmaker.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks Jim and Dave. I'm having a lot of fun building this thing...

More updates!

I ran over to a pick and pull with a buddy on Monday and found some more cool wood lights in a conversion van. Paid $6 for the pair. I'm going to put them in the galley area. I stripped them down so i could paint them and I'm going to order some LED replacement bulbs for them. Then inside skin is nearly done and I've been working on the curb side door jamb/seal surface a lot the last few days. That side is almost buttoned up and then its on to the road side. The pic with all the clamps was when I did the wall skin on that side. The big piece of angle iron is to try to straighten the wall out some. It developed a slight warp. The pic with the hole in the inside skin was a big oops when i was putting it in. I shoved a bracing stick right thru it...

The original seal rings I made were not deep enough so I added a layer of 5.2mm ply to them and then used a top bearing edge trim router bit to set the depth of the door jamb:

Ring pre-router

Post router

Started on the striker plates. Routed out for the plate. Then in typical Jess fashion, I had to make a tool to complete a job. I made an "Adjustable Striker Plate Insert Nut Pilot Hole Jig". Yeah Lowe's doesn't carry them for some odd reason. I'm just glad dad has a mill. Making tools and jigs is a lot easier with that thing...

I had to throw some windows in and take an overall shot just to see...

There's the latest. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the inside skin on this weekend and maybe the other door and door jamb done too. Then its on to some wiring and insulating the roof...

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Fri May 01, 2009 5:05 am

What a fantastic looking build. You're doing some great work, that is going to be one tough tear! :applause: :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 am

stomperxj wrote: The pic with the hole in the inside skin was a big oops when i was putting it in. I shoved a bracing stick right thru it...

Ouch! I bet that led to some colorful language.

I like the strike plates that you made for your slam latches. I have the same latches and the strike plates that came with them are crap. Been wondering myself what to do. Unfortunately I don't have a mill to use. Nice job :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby tinksdad » Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 am

stomperxj wrote:This is what 15.5 lbs of change looks like. $170+ using a Coinstar machine. Plus I got a Lowes card so there was no 9% fee either...

I'm around money all day at the new job. It's surprising how much it weighs.
One million dollars in $100 bills weighs about 45 pounds and will fit in a small weekender suitcase!

NO!!! It's not mine, and it doesn't even tempt me!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 01, 2009 10:12 am

Outstanding craftsmanship! Thank you for sharing.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs