New stand-up tear design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Gerald_G » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Karch67, you may want to check out my progress in this thread.

I am framing my walls out of 1" by 1.5" (because I have access to full 1" stock)

I intend to sheet inside with 1/8" and aluminum siding on the outside.

The original factory framing was with 3/4 plywood frames for the side and front walls, and 2X2 (1.5" by 1.5") back. the plywood frames were not cut out like you are planning, but cut into lengths and then joined like 1 X 2 at the joints with nothing more than staples spanning the joint.

My joints are made with PL-400 and Deck screws, plus I've added corner gussets in spots to increase rigidity.

Thread link

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9017

Or the sketch I made for Dewayne_Mellen in this thread.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9979
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby karch67 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Gerald, thanks for the links, I wanted to do two bunks but didn't think they would be big enough by the time I squeezed them in the teardrop shape. Will you be using corrugated siding or flat aluminum siding?
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gerald_G » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:52 pm

karch67 wrote:Gerald, thanks for the links, I wanted to do two bunks but didn't think they would be big enough by the time I squeezed them in the teardrop shape. Will you be using corrugated siding or flat aluminum siding?

Likely corrugated. Depends on what my rv parts supplier recommends and prices of course.

I honestly don't think the outer skinning will be required for structural support. Since my floorplan has a lot of supporting internal framing too such as closet and BR walls, kitchen galley, bunk beds, and dinnette bed, there is lots of cross bracing generated by these internal frames too.

Plus like I said earlier, the gussets in the frames, and the glue and screw joints, make me confident in the strength. When I compare against factory methods I get more confident.
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby karch67 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 pm

I updated the original design with a scaled profile from a cabin car which gives a little more interior space, allowing me to keep it under 12' and less than 7' tall, headroom is still about 6' in the footwell. Instead of a custom chassis I am using a TSC 4 x 8 stretched 11.5"

I replaced the front dinette with bunks, and now the rear is a dinette that converts to a full size bed.

karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gerald_G » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:59 am

I like the new changes. the overall height should make it easy to tow. I'd probably build one like this, but my wife also really wanted the kitchen indoors.
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 am

That's looking really nice. I like it!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:05 pm

That's a very good change. That'll cater to all the folks that want a teardrop for 4. Good job!!!

MIke...

Do you have a name for it yet?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby karch67 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:47 pm

I think I'll call it the Cab_4 unless I think of something better - I could post an VRML file if anyone is interested.
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 am

Yes, please post it...

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby karch67 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 am

Mike,

I tried to put the WRL file in my album but it is too large (`9M), how else can I upload a file?
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:28 pm

karch67 wrote:Mike,

I tried to put the WRL file in my album but it is too large (`9M), how else can I upload a file?

Try emailing it to me. I think my inbox can handle it. If not, I'll give you an FTP address...

MIke...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:02 pm

With todays gasoline prices you may want to think small but it you want bigger.

Check
Maxitear.com he has a double axel design with the bed in the back and kitchen front. you can stand in the kitchen nice unit I have been in it. My head did not touch the top and I am 6' in shoes :lol:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:42 pm

karch67,

You can ftp it here

ftp:ftp.mikenchell.com
login as anonymous
and upload the file into the incoming directory

Mike...

P.S. Here's a refresher if you need it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
mikeschn
Site Admin

watch the weight

Postby fatehunter1972 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:27 am

I like your idea of standup room. I'm constantly flipping mental shapes to think of ways to get it. I'd even thought of vertical sliders. That would be hard to seal!

Anyways the thing you really need to think of is weight. If the tow limit of your car is 1500, do you really think a 1300 pound trailer weight is reasonable? You will not believe how quickly weight will accumulate both during the build process and the usage process. With light single engine airplanes even one coat of paint can add tens of pound of weight (albeit there is more surface area).

Just think of a cooler, some extra carpet (shag),, blankets, clothes (even they weigh a lot), stove, lawn chairs, Uncle John's extra lawn bowling set, the neat piece of furniture you bought at the antique store, extra fuel, and all the bits of crap that you want to bring.

I'll say it again, watch the weight. I'd recommend borrowing a utility trailer, load it up to 1500 lbs and drive it around for a while, then add several hundred pounds and do it again. Try braking down a hill etc.

There are very strong methods of building though that are light. As someone said in an earlier post, just look at airplane construction.

Keep at it, your going in the right direction

Michael
fatehunter1972
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Member Designs