Finally, I am building

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

As of 6:15 this evening

Postby jj2k » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Just a quick photographic update

jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:44 am

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Boy did you get a lot done. It won't be long now and you will be camping.

How tall is it?

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

How tall is it?

Postby jj2k » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 pm

From the floor to the peak is 6' - 4". I wanted to be able to stand up to get dressed. Something I find increasingly important as I get older. I have some minor frame work left to do and of course I have putty and sand everything. After that I start water proofing and painting. My wife wants to do the inside. I am going to hand make all the metal hardware such as curtain rods and hangers etc. I figure 2 to 3 more weeks due to time and weather constraints. I'll keep posting pics as I prorgess.
jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Another update

Postby jj2k » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Well I got the AC installed. We waterproofed the trailer and painted the exterior. Today I built the door. I still have to putty, sand, waterproof, and paint the door though.

Luckily the digital camera is forgiving at a distance. There are lots of little boo boos and such all over the trailer. While I wasn't going for a perfect finish I was trying to do as well as I could for the time constraints I have placed upon myself. The craft season has started and already I needed this trailer twice!

I am almost done with the exterior and can begin on the interior.
Fenders and lights are next for the exterior.

Will post more updates as I progress.

jj2k :?
jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 am

Looks great............ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:09 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

That's great. I am not letting Mike see it cause he likes to stand up too. One thing we found is that tall trailers are trouble in high wind. Was all over the place with 50 mph gusts at the side.

Are you taking the air inside when traveling?

Time to enjoy! :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby plbecker » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Looks great, but I'm so short you could stack 2 of me in there! :lol:
It will be nice to see how the interior gets finished. Have a good season on the craft circuit!

Pat
plbecker
Teardrop Inspector

more to come

Postby jj2k » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 am

I appreciate all the kind words.

Aunti M, the AC is mounted in it's permenant position and will not be taken in when traveling. I had to decide if I wanted a slider or permenant mount. The permenant mount worked for me because the entire area behind the door is bed. It's a solid bed not a goucho, so for that reason we mounted it in that position. All of the area under the bed will be for the storage of inventory totes.

We live in North Central Texas and last night we had a bit of a scare. :o We awoke this morning at 3:45 am to the tornado sirens wailing. :shock: There was a tornado just 1 to 2 miles north of us. We had straight line winds in excess of 70 mph and really heavy rain and hail. :?
The trailer went through it fine. I had some leakage around the windows and AC but we haven't sealed all that up yet. Overall the waterproofing and paint seemed to do the job for which it was intended, so I am pleased. We had no damage here to any buildings or trees. But just north of us, the Red Cross has set up a disaster headquarters. I really feel blessed and lucky the we dodged this bullet. :applause:

I will post more pics and such as we progress.

jj2k
jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 am

Glad to hear you guys dodged it last night JJ. Happy also to hear your TTT made it through. I am going to insure mine. Too much bad weather.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby big earl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 pm

nice little trailer jj, any interior pics yet?
if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
big earl
Teardrop Advisor

Purdy red fenders and insulation

Postby jj2k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:08 pm

Well today I installed my fenders and mounted my trailer lights. This evening the wife and I installed insulation. Here are the pics.

Well, OK, it's Burgundy Red fenders. But I like the contrast they provide. I may even paint a burgundy strip down the sides etc.

Tomorrow we may start the paneling.
jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 am

Hey

Looks like your making good progress. But I have one thought; as tall as it is versus the width, I would think it could be a handful in a high crosswind condition. Makes for good headroom.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Height

Postby jj2k » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 am

I have to admit that the height has me a bit concerned. In a heavy crosswind it could make for a long road home. But that's the price I pay for dealing with what I have. I had certain paremeters to work within and certain features that were not negotiable. However, if it gets too much to handle, I may have to take chainsaw and lower the roof. (grin) The only thing I can do is slow down, watch the trailer and use my noggin for something other than a hatrack. (grin) I have yet to take this thing out for a tow. I am curious how it will perform (towing) in any weather.
You'll either hear me cryin or grinin.
jj2k
jj2k
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Member Designs