A Teardrop Moterhome?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby B-Bop » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey Grant, your drawing is awesome. It made me dig back into my files and find this picture that was drawn by Ed Newton. Ed is an increadibly talented artist that used to draw T-shirts for Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. I have a 51 COE in the back yard that I would love to look similar to this but have no idea on how to get all of the compound curves working.

TyCobb...I think this is what you were looking for.

B-Bop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TyCobb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:12 am

B-bop

Thanks for the pic, all the curves in that would be beyond my current skills, but I like how the ridge on the camper meets the split on the windshield. Also good to know I'm not the only one with this idea.
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:17 am

That is cool... but it's way beyond my skills too...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dwgriff1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 am

How about a small "motor home" based on the size of a small pickup camper, but low and with a front wheel drive clip out of a modern GM or such?

It could be light and low and get pretty decent mileage.

It is a lot easier to design and dream than to build, which is the fun of design and dreaming!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

cool

Postby Randy G » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:11 am

You find soma the dardest things on this site, love it
Rom. 8:28
Randy G
Teardrop Master

Postby B-Bop » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 pm

While having coffee with the boys this morning, another buddy mentioned a thread on the HAMB (Hokey A$% Message Board) Many of the Hot Rodders on this board will know of it.
There is a link to a 51 COE that has a really big Teardrop attached to the back. Not even close to a Tiny Trailer, but more like a teardrop on steroids.
link for COE
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551111392VqwVKS

This is the link for the entire COE thread.....there goes another 3 hours that could be better spent in the shop

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551111392VqwVKS
B-Bop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Many rigs have been built with a travel trailer on a truck chassis. I think the problem with doing this with a teardrop is that the rounded front of the classic teardrop shape does not work well with the truck cab... especially a tall one like a COE.

That cab height is also the problem for the great drawing by Grant... the cab height makes the proportions difficult for the bunk-over-cab layout so common in Class C motorhomes. That one has a forward-cab truck (which I think is a good match), not the door-behind-axle layout of the '51 or the photo in the original post.

I think that the Dymaxion is relevant, because the shape could be outfitted as a motorhome... although it doesn't have anything to do with incorporating a COE truck cab and chassis.

And I'm surprised that no one has noted that the truck would really have to be slammed down for a rear galley to be usable by anyone but basketball players.

The small motorhome based on a front-drive car drivetrain has even been done commercially, by Winnebago. They initially used Renault hardware, which didn't work out so well.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TyCobb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Brian,

What I'd like to build the rear would not open to a galley, thats where I would have a bedroom, I've always thought the tear shape is a perfect match for a classic truck, not actually a teardrop camper in function just borrowing from the shape.
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TyCobb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Brian,

What I'd like to build the rear would not open to a galley, thats where I would have a bedroom, I've always thought the tear shape is a perfect match for a classic truck, not actually a teardrop camper in function just borrowing from the shape.
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby caseydog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:12 pm

On a smaller scale, I have kicked around the idea of building a TD on a small pick-up. My thought was a Chevy S-10 (I like the shape) with the bed removed, and a TD built on the frame.

With this kind of set-up, you could tow a toy hauler, or even a small boat behind your TD.

Using a small pick-up would also keep the size of the TD to close to that of a normal TD trailer.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm

CD,

Did you ever see the super camper that was posted on this forum a while back. It was built on a truck like you say...

I can't seem to find the link right now...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby len19070 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:16 pm

brian_bp wrote:The small motorhome based on a front-drive car drivetrain has even been done commercially, by Winnebago. They initially used Renault hardware, which didn't work out so well.

It goes back before that. Not unnecessarily in a front wheel drive. Before the Renault chassis, in the LaSharo Winnebago, Dolphin, Sunline and a handful of others Used Datsun and Toyota Chassis. They worked very well too.

Then Japan just stopped making the Chassis. That lead to the Renault.

And now to the VW Chassis.

But the new up and coming small motorhome chassis is the Mercedes/Chrysler, Dalmer Chassis

But none of these would be considered Teardrops and thats what this thread was about, and I have wandered way off the topic.

Sorry.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:17 pm

okay, I found the super camper...

it's here: http://thesupercamper.blogspot.com/sear ... -results=9
Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:29 pm

mikeschn wrote:okay, I found the super camper...

it's here: http://thesupercamper.blogspot.com/sear ... -results=9
Mike...

That's the right idea, but mine would have a very traditional teardrop shape, and no cab-over area.

Time to photoshop.......

Here is a VERY rough image of my thoughts based on an S-10 extended cab. I call it the TD-10. ;) :lol:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:08 pm

That looks like a really tite package...

I like the truck, but I think I would build something just a bit larger...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs