I've started on "Skeletear" -Off Roadable Tear

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby oregonguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:28 pm

I think I will, but not until after the diamond plate is installed....haven't quite decided how I am going to go about the issue
Check out our Website: www.oregontrailer.net
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Updated Progress

Postby oregonguy » Tue May 26, 2009 1:13 pm

I haven't posted any updated pics for quite some time, mostly too busy working on the darn thing to want to take time and take pics...but my Dad was up over the weekend, and took some for me. I thought the least I could do is throw them up here...

oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby High Desert » Tue May 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Looking good! :thumbsup:
I was wondering how this one was coming along. Being better with steel than wood myself it has my attention.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Lookin great man... :thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Very nice. What color is your aluminum - clear anodized?
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby oregonguy » Tue May 26, 2009 6:27 pm

Above the waist-line it is a product called Ultra - Aluminum, which is PVC on the inside, foam core, and Brushed Aluminum that has been anodized Chrome on the outside...cool stuff. Below the waist-line is Aluminum Diamond Plate.
The top skin is a product called Poly-Metal. It is aluminum on both sides and Polyethylene Core. The Aluminum is Prefinished with Baked on white enamel paint. - Really cool stuff. The only hard part about dealing with it is that you cant just bend a sharp angle with it unless you rout out a groove on the inside edge - exactly where the crease is to happen...Otherwise bad things happen. And you have to be extremely careful to get the depth set just right to remove everything except the outer skin of aluminum - kinda tricky. Beyond that minor difficulty - was wonderful stuff to work with - it's totally stiff but bendable at the same time. I can't wait to peel off the protective coating on the polymetal and get rid of all that NUDO Lettering.
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby sgnellett » Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 am

That thing looks pretty cool, my only real concern is the weight of the spare hanging up there on the galley hatch. I doubt those gas struts could hold that kind of weight, especially in any kind of strong wind! I'd also be concerned about having that kind of weight on the hinge up there, regardless of the supports. Have you considered a swing away spare tire carrier that could be mounted to your rear hitch receiver? Just a thought.. :thinking:
sgnellett
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sawyer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 am

Looking awesome bro. In fact, I think it would look better behind my truck... You better get crackin on that thing though, only another week and a half til baby time!
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither" - Benjamin Franklin
Sawyer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby oregonguy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 am

That thing looks pretty cool, my only real concern is the weight of the spare hanging up there on the galley hatch. I doubt those gas struts could hold that kind of weight, especially in any kind of strong wind! I'd also be concerned about having that kind of weight on the hinge up there, regardless of the supports. Have you considered a swing away spare tire carrier that could be mounted to your rear hitch receiver? Just a thought..

You Know, I think you're probably right. I have been thinking along similar lines, now that I have the trailer to this phase.
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby oregonguy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 am

In fact, I think it would look better behind my truck...

Soo....does that mean you're giving me your truck??? :R

You better get crackin on that thing though, only another week and a half til baby time!

I know, I going as quick as I can! :?
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby Sawyer » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 am

Not exactly what I had in mind... Get back to work!
"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither" - Benjamin Franklin
Sawyer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Magnetic » Wed May 27, 2009 12:25 pm

How did you bend the front radius curves of the steel tubing?
Magnetic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby oregonguy » Wed May 27, 2009 7:07 pm

How did you bend the front radius curves of the steel tubing?

I had that part done by a local metal working company that has a special machine that rolls it. Those particular bends were especially tricky because I wanted them rolled "the hard way" and the tubing is fairly light gauge
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby Endo » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Very cool!

I am skinning the sides of my off-road tear with something very similar to the poly-metal.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby 4123 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:11 pm

:applause:

I'm proud of you No. 1 son! Your trailer is coming along very well. You have no idea how much I look forward to camping with you, Jamie and my new granddaughter, Alita. Ya better hurry up though....Like Sawyer says, Alita's birth is only a few days away! Alita will be keeping you so busy that it'll be hard to find the time to finish! You've only got a little bit to go...
The weather is so nice now, I say LETS GO CAMPING!!! Now that we have three teardrops in the family, we can park them in a circle! Or maybe in a triangle?

:thinking:
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs