Here is my rough sketches to start my build....

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Joanne » Sat May 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Just thinking out loud here. If you are going to be going off pavement, then that means dust. The more "swingouts" you have, the more places you will need to make a water tight and dust tight seal. To the extent possible, I would simplify hatches, doors, swingouts, and such.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Gunswinger » Sat May 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Joanne - That is a good thought. Having multiple ways in to the galley would make it rather dusty, would it not. :( I would not be doing any large amount of mudding but I would have the occation to go up dusty roads. Would a rubber strip seal a piano hinge good enough to eliminate that? Boy these are good questions, making me take a second and third look at everything.

Does anyone have a lot of difficulty with their galley not having enough space????

How would a DO Table work with a galley like this Joanne? :thinking:
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Canoe tear

Postby danlott » Sat May 30, 2009 6:05 pm

I played around with your design a little after your original post. Have not put much time into it, but I do like it. I changed the rear hatch so that it could be opened while the canoe was still in place. Seems like it would be a pain to have to remove the canoe to use your galley. Hope you like it, seems more real in 3D.

Dan

Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sat May 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Gunswinger wrote:Joanne - That is a good thought. Having multiple ways in to the galley would make it rather dusty, would it not. :( I would not be doing any large amount of mudding but I would have the occasion to go up dusty roads. Would a rubber strip seal a piano hinge good enough to eliminate that? Boy these are good questions, making me take a second and third look at everything.

Does anyone have a lot of difficulty with their galley not having enough space????

How would a DO Table work with a galley like this Joanne? :thinking:

I don't want to discourage you from your design! Just start thinking about how you want to get it sealed up as tight as possible.

When it comes to galleys, everyone has their own way that they want it. Some folks want to have a lot of cupboard space to store everything and are less worried about work surface. I wanted a lot of work space so I didn't clutter it with a cook top or sink. I have a pullout drawer to set the stove on and the dishes get done on a side table. I have a side table that provides a bit of extra space.

Now most people don't cook as much as I do when they are out camping. If you are just cooking for one or two people you won't need as much cooking space.

If you are really serious about getting the "perfect" galley, talk with you wife to get a good understanding of what she envisions. Combine those ideas with what you have in mind. Once you have a pretty good idea, get out the cardboard boxes, scrap plywood and duct tape, and mock up the galley. Keep in mind that if your wife is going to be doing the majority of the cooking (and I don't know who does most of the cooking in your household) you want to make certain that the counter is at the right height for her. If the height is too high or too low, it can be miserable cooking. The make all of the cabinets or shelves or whatever out of cardboard and see how all your cooking equipment fits.

Here was my initial drawing.

Here's mocking it up.

Here's how it turned out.

New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 31, 2009 2:39 am

"Talk to your wife to get an understanding of what she invisions"

Wow!

Truer words were never spoken ! I have to give old whats her name credit for my flip out galley. (Who said you can't get 9 feet of counterspace in a 5 wide) :lol:
UNTIL I mentioned "galley" and explained it was a little kitchen she just stared out the window and shook her head as I built this strange little creation. The single word "kitchen" and she was out in the drive at my elbow. When we camp we like real meals tilapia and steamed veggies , meatloaf in the D.O. or maybe chili or a nice Stew or stuffed chicken breast and home made bread in the D.O. No burgers and dogs for me. A functioning kitchen was a must have. It was her brain child to flip out the cabinets and make the "u" shaped kitchen and it functions beautifully.Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gunswinger » Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 am

danlott -- I like that idea a lot thanks for showing me that design.. I want to nail down a functional design before I start building. What is the old saying plan your work and work your plan... Thanks

Joanne - - Those sound like words of wisdom. When momma is happy everyone is happy.. When momma ain't happy no one is happy... I will do a layout with her for sure..

bobhenry - - I am alot like you I love to eat and also cook. We both love to cook. We have several dutch ovens, and grills. I bought a small sink at a yard sale the over day. It would work great in you galley design. Could I get a few more pictures of your galley in various stages of open and closed? That will tell me a lot on how to design mine.

Here are pictures of the original trailer that caught my interest.

My sketches don't do it justice. These are of the trailer that 1speed did on the expedition portal forum...

He did not have a galley in the rear only storage.

I also wanted to make the design longer by two feet and I think a full 5 foot wide. I am a short person for a man. (5'7") so the top of the trailer was in my sketch to be five feet or less over all from the floor.

Thanks everyone for working with me and keeping me form making a big mistake.
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 31, 2009 9:26 pm

Gunswinger wrote:bobhenry - - I am alot like you I love to eat and also cook. We both love to cook. We have several dutch ovens, and grills. I bought a small sink at a yard sale the over day. It would work great in you galley design. Could I get a few more pictures of your galley in various stages of open and closed? That will tell me a lot on how to design mine.

There are several in my album at different gatherings. Here are a couple driveway shots in the early stages of the build.

ImageImage
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gunswinger » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Just going over my notes and thoughts to continue the design and make it a reality. I have an unanswered question....Is it possible to make a camper towable from both ends? Pull from the front or galley ends. This would give you the ability to extract a trailer from an off road problem. :thinking: I guess maybe I am thinking to much. But then again how do you know what you are building unless you know what you can and cannot do. And what your design is.

I got this idea from the design by 1speed. I was looking at his photographs. Saw the red clevis on the rear. Looks like my design will end up a lot like the weekender and his. Color scheme a lot along the lines of 1speed's.

I will be doing a mock-up of the galley maybe this weekend. If I do I will post new pictures.
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Postby bve » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:01 pm

Gunswinger have a look at SteveF's off road build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15620

If I recall correctly he put a receiver on the back of his unit for the same reason - I think it was him - might be thinking of another build though.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:24 am

Many I have seen have a rear reciever for a ball mount , bike rack , storage platform ect. I think it is a great idea.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:46 am

bobhenry wrote:Many I have seen have a rear reciever for a ball mount , bike rack , storage platform ect.

Don't forget for pulling doubles! :shock:

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

receiver hitch

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:52 am

hey Nitoxjunkie71,
:o :shock: Double and keep them coming :? :thumbsup:
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Member Designs