Pop-Up Standy!! Is it a Reverse Tear? Mini Compact?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Re: Your trailer

Postby jonesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Prem wrote:
3) Safety glass window for RV application, not breakable glass in a house window.

Both Prem and Sharon metioned the use of windows for RV rather than house windows. I had planned on making my own windows and had even bought the plexiglass. Then I found a good deal on storm windows at Menards (my new favorite store!!). I was lured by the thought of cutting down on building time, so I bought four. Will these break from the vibrations while traveling down the highway? I've seen them on other campers but now I'm wondering if I should return them.
Should I??
jonesgirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Teresa,

House windows are not made for earthquakes, nor for the constant bouncing and vibration of going down the road. When they break, they break into spears and knives. Remember that final scene of how the bad guy dies in the movie GHOST?

A branch at a campground could break one also. Safety glass is much tougher and if it breaks, it crumples into bits that are small and far less likely to hurt anyone.

You could go to your local RV shops/stores and ask for RV windows, even ones they have taken out of other RVs, then fit them to your walls. Ask the shop managers first. They often have freebies or ones they will sell you for just a few bucks.

You decide. I'm not going to tell you to take the windows back to your favorite home supply store. But I'll be praying for you if you don't. :worship:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 pm

:thinking: Does house glass still shatter? Teresa you can check the salvage yards for an RV window. You can also get them from Lil Bear. Do you have a picture of the windows you bought?

Oh and you might ask at a glass shop if they have a storm that will not break if a rock hits it. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby ARKPAT » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 pm

If you find a broken window RV window you can go to the nearest glass company and get acrylic glass made and or installed ( it is more $$$ that regular glass but if you smooth the edges - keeps the cracking down at the edges ) it will not shatter and will last along time. :thinking:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Prem » Thu May 28, 2009 11:38 pm

P.S. Technically, it's called "tempered glass." Tempered glass comes in all RV windows. Tempering it causes it to break differently than regular window glass: into small (lifesaving) bits. Shower doors, sliding glass doors and sometimes bathroom windows come with tempered glass. You could go back to your favorite store and ask to replace the windows you bought with any small ones they have that are tempered glass. (There will be a sticker on the glass that says, "TEMPERED."

The glass of car and truck windshields is "tempered safety glass." It's two layers of tempered glass with a clear, rubbery, super tough film bonding them together.

Window glass ---> :throw PC:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jonesgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 12:17 am

Yep I think I'll return the windows I bought. The eartquake analogy made perfect sense!! - Thanks!
Miriam- I left my camera out at the storage unit but it's a 36x22 aluminium storm window--all glass, very cheap
I think I'll return the windows.

Isn't there a big RV Salavage place in Western or SW Missouri?? Has anyone in MO ever been there??
I heard about Lil Bear, I need to explore that too.

Thanks!
Teresa
jonesgirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 29, 2009 6:19 am

jonesgirl wrote:Yep I think I'll return the windows I bought. The eartquake analogy made perfect sense!! - Thanks!
Miriam- I left my camera out at the storage unit but it's a 36x22 aluminium storm window--all glass, very cheap

Isn't there a big RV Salavage place in Western or SW Missouri?? Has anyone in MO ever been there??

Thanks!
Teresa

Sorry found this thread late. I used 2 small sample
storm windows in my doors with honest to God real
glass in them. They have not exploded and killed
anyone yet. I will admit that someone :oops:
forgot to latch one of the doors and in transit
we lost a pane when it swung clear open and
hit the nose. I simply pulled into Ace hardware
and had a plexiglass pane cut to fit. I even borrowed
their work bench and tools and installed it in the frame.
All tolled it took about 12 minutes and $3.00 to $4.00.
I like the storm window because these came with
self storing screens and all panes and screens are
removable in case you want to install the
air conditioned..........or maybe your pot belly stove :roll:

ImageImage
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri May 29, 2009 7:22 am

Good mornin Teresa sounds like your making progress. Just looked at your album and see you had a pop up frame.

One help for the extra width is a triangle tongue box to help smooth air flow at the front, at least Mike and I have played with the idea but I haven't seen anyone build one yet.

How about some more pic's so we can all oohh and aahh.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 29, 2009 7:22 am

Don't give up on your big window yet! I have and idea that might pan out:

Older homes with sliding glass doors did not have tempered glass in them. In parts of California, (and probably other areas) when those homes are sold, that must be 'corrected' so that if a rock hits or an earthquake happens, the glass remains contained and is not so threateningly deadly. In the past, this has been done by applying a special plastic film, which you might be able to apply to your windows. I believe it is done with a self adhesive which is then heat-sealed to the glass with something as simple as a hair dryer. I'm not certain where you would find something like that in your area but perhaps someone at the hardware store would know? :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am

Teresa:

It dawned on me that we might be assuming something when we don't really know. Check your window and see if it is tempered already. If it is, it will have a barely noticable sign in one of the corners, about an inch wide in kind of a clear white-ish tone. It will say if it is tempered glass.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 am

jonesgirl wrote:Yep I think I'll return the windows I bought. The eartquake analogy made perfect sense!! - Thanks!

Thanks!
Teresa

There is a Colaws salvage near MT. Vernon on I-44. Not too far off I-71. They have hundreds of windows. Most of them look like mine and vary in price. You can call and see if they have something similar to what you are looking for.
http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/ they do ship too. You might check the local places too. You can also get tempered glass for your windows from a glass shop. :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Prem » Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 am

Teresa,

You're close to holding the record for the most helpful people scouting for you! How cool is that?

You're well networked now. :beautiful:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jonesgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 11:30 am

:bowdown: Colaws!! That's the place I heard of!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!-- I'm actually house/dog sitting for my cousin who lives a half hour from there. I'll be there over the weekend and early part of next week. I think I'll stop in and have a look around.

I checked on the glass corners and it's definately not tempered glass. I won't return them until I have an alternative.

Gosh!! you all are WONDERFUL!!! Thanks so much for your support!! :peace:

Teresa
jonesgirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun May 31, 2009 4:25 pm

Another window alternative would be to use the house windows, but replace the glass with plexiglass (acrylic) or lexan (polycarbonate) - the plastic isn't too cheap and you'll need to find a plastic supply company (your work should be able to do that) to get a sensible price, but it would enable you to use the windows you've got.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm

jonesgirl wrote::bowdown: Colaws!! That's the place I heard of!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!-- I'm actually house/dog sitting for my cousin who lives a half hour from there. I'll be there over the weekend and early part of next week. I think I'll stop in and have a look around.

I checked on the glass corners and it's definately not tempered glass. I won't return them until I have an alternative.

Gosh!! you all are WONDERFUL!!! Thanks so much for your support!! :peace:

Teresa

:applause: I will be heading East by the weekend but here are some tips. Take your sun screen and a hat. Colaws is huge and you will be free to wander out to see how the RV's do it if you want........Make a parts list...... 8) Be sure to get clamp rings with your windows and if they are too big you can cut them down. I got a thicker ring so my window cut out didn't have to be perfect.... 8)

Enjoy!
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs