Small (10 foot) family teardrop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby BigPolishJimmy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm

Salivanto,

I'm in a similar situation except that I'm only 6'4" and only have 2 children. I'll be interested to see what direction you're going. Right now I'm thinking about doing a teardrop with an exterior like Rob's Cabin Car, except that the doors will be located in the section completely towards the front of the trailer for upper bunk clearance. Inside there would be a top/child's bunk that goes all the way back to the outside of the hatch for upper bunk leg room and lower bunk head/sit-up room. The adults would be on the floor and the kids above in parellel with each other, this way I can reach up and dope slap them if they're not going to sleep. I've been thinking about making these bunks out of hollow-core closet doors and keeping them sectional so I can remove them when their not needed or fold them up for shelves and to section off the galley area later. I'd either have a short hatch on the back or perhaps a short hatch that opens out from the top down to become a work surface. The traditional hatch makes me nervous because even at 6'4" If I had a nickel for every time I've hit my head on something...well I'd only have about $3.50, but still... Access to the bottom storage can be had from the side and still look nice in a cabin car style. I don't think a 4' height is going to work though, so I'm considering a 5' tall one, but that's easy to accomplish with the cabin car look too. Anyhow, I'm still at the dreaming state so I'll be watching to see what other folks do. I've also been looking seriously at that pop-up vardo design. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3740

..._____
../___...\
.(.|.........)___
.....O.....
BigPolishJimmy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:45 pm

I see I am late in this conversation. I am making my camper out of an old pop up. Mine is 6' 4" and 8' long. I have 5 kids and 9 grandkids and I can tell you they will love having thier own bunks.

A slide out for you feet would allow you to put yourself across the width and have an over/under on the other side.

If your bed is 6'4" inside finished you can put the baby in a bed crib. They make a small playpen like thing that goes on the bed so the baby can be protected but on the same bed as mom and dad.

An inside dimension of basically 6' 4' by 8' is a lot of sleeping room. I made my bed go across to make room for a loo. If I put it the other way we could sleep your whole family in one big play pit.

There is a tear with a counter that pulls through to make a bunk for the child and still allow a kitchen counter in the day. When the children are bigger and in a tent you would not have to demolish.

A cardboard mock up or sheets hung around a bed will give you a real good idea of what you really have.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Member Designs