SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby pete.wilson » Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey

I think this has so far been one of the best builds we have seen come to these pages, excellant craftmanship and it has that 4X4 usage to boot! Great job. :twisted:

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sun May 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right :)

planovet wrote:Ouch! I bet that led to some colorful language.

I like the strike plates that you made for your slam latches. I have the same latches and the strike plates that came with them are crap. Been wondering myself what to do. Unfortunately I don't have a mill to use. Nice job :thumbsup:

Yes there were some choice words said after that move...

I agree the strike plates that come with those handles are junk. I was going to make them adjustable at first but then decided not to. Too complicated that way. I can always make a couple more if you want Mark. Let me know-

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I have the same latches. I ground off the lip in the striker plate hole and made them work okay. I do wish they were adjustible, though. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Wed May 06, 2009 12:33 am

More progress... The other door/door jamb is done, roof insulation done, all inside skin is done and the first piece of exterior skin is done. You can see in the pics how i had to plug the old hinge holes from the other hinges I made. Luckily I only drilled one side so I only had to fill 4 holes. I also posted a better pic of how I routed the door jams out. If you look closely you can see the exterior 3/4" wall, 2 layers of 5.2mm and the inside 3/4" door jamb/seal ring. I'm actually routing thru the 5.2mm into the 3/4" ring to only leave about 1/4 to 3/8" of ring. I also posted how I went about fixing my oops from the other day at the top front corner. Seems to be holding but i have a lot of filling to do on the inside. I think I may need some new gloves too...

More later this week hopefully...

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 am

:thumbsup: Inspiring work!

what is your final roof going to be?

Nice patch job on the corner. And agreed, you've gotten most of the good stuff out of those gloves already :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 06, 2009 6:41 am

oops'es are good !

They keep us humble !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby stomperxj » Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am

High Desert wrote::thumbsup: Inspiring work!

Nice patch job on the corner. And agreed, you've gotten most of the good stuff out of those gloves already :lol:

I'm skinning the whole top and front with the 5.2mm ply. CPES and paint will follow. No aluminum if that's what you're asking...

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Wed May 06, 2009 8:59 am

stomperxj wrote:
High Desert wrote::thumbsup: Inspiring work!

I'm skinning the whole top and front with the 5.2mm ply. CPES and paint will follow. No aluminum if that's what you're asking...

Right on. Looking at this build makes me want to get a Jeep again. I'm almost regretting selling the 4runner a couple of years ago :D
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Small update... Outside skin is done except for the hatch. I also worked on my tail light boxes yesterday and today...

The next big step is to buy some CPES and start sealing. I'm gonna have to wait for that for a bit while I save up some money...

More soon hopefully :)

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby rvsixer » Thu May 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Man that is looking GOOD :thumbsup: .

Should conquer the Owyhee's and Sawtooth's with aplomb (my avatar pic taken enroute on a Jackpot Nevada brunch run)!

Rob.
rvsixer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alan Wood » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Looking great :thumbsup:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Dewi » Fri May 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Might sound daft, but I almost want to donate some cash so I can see what you're going to do next. Learning so much from your build... its inspired my choice of materials, tools... even fastners... really am enjoying every minute of it.

You really need some new gloves though... I have jeans that are as battered as that, but I can't throw them away... they are great for gardening and painting.

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Fri May 08, 2009 6:52 pm

rvsixer wrote:Man that is looking GOOD :thumbsup: .

Should conquer the Owyhee's and Sawtooth's with aplomb (my avatar pic taken enroute on a Jackpot Nevada brunch run)!

Rob.

Thanks Rob - That's the plan is to go up on fire roads and semi hard trails with it when its done. Trinity Lakes and Silver city are at the top of the list...

Alan Wood wrote:Looking great :thumbsup:

Thanks Alan

Dewi wrote:Might sound daft, but I almost want to donate some cash so I can see what you're going to do next. Learning so much from your build... its inspired my choice of materials, tools... even fastners... really am enjoying every minute of it.

You really need some new gloves though... I have jeans that are as battered as that, but I can't throw them away... they are great for gardening and painting.

Cheers, Dewi

Haha Thanks Dewi... Glad I can inspire and help you through my build. Hopefully soon I'll figure out how to get some epoxy coming. I have some surplus junk I am going to try to eBay to generate some $$$

Thanks again guys ;)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Not a huge update but some small stuff. I got the holes cut and the hatch wired for the lights, cut down my tail light boxes because I made them too deep the first time. I gotta fire my CAD guy for giving me the wrong drawings when I cut them out :)

I need some epoxy! I'm looking thru my surplus junk to see if I can sell some stuff to generate the funds...

Thanks for looking everyone.

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Fri May 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Another small update but a momentous occasion. The outside of the hatch is skinned! I had been holding off because I wanted to make sure my latch stuff was functioning correctly. If it got stuck or wouldn't open, I'd have to cut the outside skin to get it back open. Everything works good though...

More soon hopefully...

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs