My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby sseaman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:51 am

Steve, it looks great, nice high gloss on the finish.
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby highlandercj-7 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Lookin Sweet Steve! 8)
highlandercj-7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve F » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:20 am

More pics, put the hatch on permanently today. Also put the LED taillights on. So close now. I also put the vent in for the battery and ran some conduit through the wall. Its not flush with the wall on the outside (not that you can see) This is incase any water runs doen the wall behind the vent cover, it wont be able to run into the tube.

Anyway, the pics.

The kids helped with the lights and getting it out of the garage and back in again.

Battery Vent

Plenty of headroom

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:42 am

That's lookin' Sweet, Steve!! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:51 am

:woohoo: :beautiful: :clapping hands: :P
Really nice Steve. Those kids look like they might kick mom and dad to the tent. 8) :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Adding the human element really clarified the size. It looks sweet, with the headroom in the back, and the overall low profile! :thumbsup:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve F » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 pm

mikeschn wrote:Adding the human element really clarified the size. It looks sweet, with the headroom in the back, and the overall low profile! :thumbsup:

I should mention I'm standing in the lowest part of the driveway, I'm 5'11", but like you say, you get the idea with people in the pics (plus I have no hatch supports yet ;) )

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 am

Wired the LED taillights up this evening and tested on a spare battery, the wires for these barely need to brush the terminal to light up and they look great. It's another step that gets me closer to registration. Now I just need to run the cable to the front and attach a plug. In my wiring I also included the wires needed for the licence plate.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby sseaman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 am

Steve, i'm impressed
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bve » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:36 pm

It's been a long while since I've been back for a look, and I must say WOW!

Your trailer is looking real sweet.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:28 am

Finally the ladder is no longer part of the build :) Got the gas struts on late this afternoon and cut the hole in the hatch for the 3 point latch. I should get that finished tomorrow.

The struts are 350NM each which is 35kg or 77lbs, I used bathroom sales and a steel pole to get the load required for the struts and then went up a little. I weighed it as 58kgs combined and went with 70kg combined. The struts lift the hatch slightly but will not open it all the way without help, they easily hold it open though even when I add some additional weight as a test on the end of the hatch. I wanted to get the lightest I could that would work so the load on the hinge when it's closed was as small as possible. When closed the position of the struts keeps the door shut and you need to open it about 3 inches before it starts to open on its own.

Oh, and I cant decide if the skinny end should be up or down, if it's up the seals stay lubricated when it's closed but if it's down the dampening works correctly when it's opened.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 am

Got bored with the TV after dinner so put the lock on, took about 30 minutes. It's a 3 point T-Latch, I think it suits the offroad look. The centre latch locks into a slot in the floor, it's the only locking section on at the moment and it works surprisingly well, then there are two rods one left and right to lock in at the sides. I haven't put these on yet.

The latch is off centre due to the hatch framing, I didn't want to cut it. I'll put the licence plate next to it which will be central so it'll look like it's meant to be this way :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 am

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: Are we done yet????? :) Some great work there. Now you need to get the galley and inside beautified. 8) ;) I'd say it is campable though.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am

:applause: :applause:
Awesome. WOW you are really going to be able to bounce it through the back country now and camp anywhere you like.

My struts are the same, they need help to open completely. But the first struts I had, would knock you head off if you were not watching. I think they were 120lbs each. :?

Question, what are the silver things under the trailer at the back? Jacks or is that part of the suspension?

MK
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Steve F » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Mary K wrote::applause: :applause:
Awesome. WOW you are really going to be able to bounce it through the back country now and camp anywhere you like.

My struts are the same, they need help to open completely. But the first struts I had, would knock you head off if you were not watching. I think they were 120lbs each. :?

Question, what are the silver things under the trailer at the back? Jacks or is that part of the suspension?

MK

They are jack stands, they have a handle you pull out and then they swing down, once down wind them out to level it. They are rated to a high load and can easily lift the TT of the ground for tyre changes etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs