My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby PresTx82 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:08 pm

I agree, the grasshopper style looks the best and it does look "JEEP-like". The design will look good being pulled by a JEEP! :applause:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 am

Grasshopper it is :)

The Jeep in the pic is the same height as mine and is running the same size tyres etc.

Track is wider than the XJ but the body tucks in behind it.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 am

That's a sweet looking setup! Good luck on the build!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby fenters2005 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 pm

just too cool. i think it would look cool with the offroad rack on top to match also...... :thumbsup:
fenters2005
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jagular7 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:46 am

I like the GS style also. It lends itself to a 'boxy' look.

Couple of other things you may consider due to the overall door entry height.
- step platform that could tie the frame to the fender plus stiffen the fender itself
- boot/shoe box to place on the fender (could you reach way down to the ground to get them to put them on)
- table rails on the side with underside support to the frame (table could be secured to the inside of the doors or hatch)
- awning coming off the top rail
- frame slightly wider than body (rock rail protector)
- ways of strapping/clamping stuff inside (trail riding is not smooth like the highway)
- keep your kitchen drawers small so that the stuff won't be tossed about when trailriding

Isn't there a slight crest in the top of the GS rather than a 'flat' top?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:39 pm

I agree with the offroad rack. That'll look good, but would it hold a good load?

That's the first rendition of a Tear that I have seen with a JEEP. SWEET! :applause: :thumbsup:

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of suspension and frame were you going to design for this "offroad" Tear?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 pm

To answer some questions.

I have a tube bender and was thinking of bending up a tube that curves out from the sided of the frame at the front, goes past the doors as a sort of step and then curves up and over the wheels and then curves back in to join the frame at the rear. This would double as a slider and a tubular fender mount which I can then just sheet. The only thing is I think it will be too high for a step and just make getting in and out more awkward. I was also thinking of a hinged stirrup type step that folds flat up against the floor for travelling and pulls down and hangs below the door to help getting in and out whan camped.

The flat top of the fender will have some sort of mount to clip the edge of a table on. I'm hoping the width of the fender will be enough to support a table, if not a single center leg will be added at the end. I'll do this on both sides, it's one of the reasons the fenders are flat.

I looked at an awning coming off the side but it isn't high enough for me to stand under, I'll revisit that when I start the build though and see what the final roof height ends up being.

I'll put in plenty of tie down points, I have a false floor in the back of the Jeep at the moment and do a lot of touring and rock crawling so know only too well the problems you get when things aren't strapped down, even my fridge (50lt Waeco) gets packed carefully but it still has a couple of small dents on it's interior from beer cans and rough tracks.

The roof slopes down towards the front from just behind the vent, I was thinking of sloping it down towards the back slightly as well and may still do this, I guess a drop of a couple of centimetres would be enough to stop water from sitting there.

The suspension will be leaf springs and probably shocks as well. I'm thinking of using the main leaf and and a couple of others from a spare leaf pack I have for the Jeep. All the leafs would be too much but a couple would be fine. A nice long leaf pack means good flex and a smoother ride. It also means I can carry one spare main leaf an use it on the jeep or trailer if I need to.

The frame will most likely be 50mm SHS 3mm thick (2" SHS 1/8" thick) does that sound strong enough? or shopuld the draw bar be a little thicker, I'm trying to keep the weight down. The trailer will also run elcectric brakes and 31"x10.5" tyres.

I did render a rack on there but decided not to bother, the Jeep has a roof basket if I need it and I'm hopping that once the trailer is built I can keep stuff off the roof :)

Here's a pic of the frame layout. The springs in this pic are not the jeep srpings but generic offroad trailer springs, the jeep ones are longer and flatter. I think I'll also have some expand steel or aluminium mesh on the drawbar from the cross piece back under the jerry cans. It'll be a good spot to put stuff I want to keep off the ground in camp and will help protect the jerry cans and trailer from rocks that get kicked up etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Can you do a picture of that behind a Wrangler? My daughter is getting a Wrangler someday, and I'll have to build something to tow behind it "someday"!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue May 22, 2007 7:26 pm

Have you considered putting the jerry cans on top of the fenders? That way, all the load will be centered on the axle. If they are empty of full, it would not affect the tongue weight. You could then move the spare tire up to the tongue so that it could increase your departure angle.

It's possible that you'll read this and say, "What gas cans on the side? How ugly is that."
It's just a thought :thinking:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 pm

asianflava wrote:Have you considered putting the jerry cans on top of the fenders? That way, all the load will be centered on the axle. If they are empty of full, it would not affect the tongue weight. You could then move the spare tire up to the tongue so that it could increase your departure angle.

It's possible that you'll read this and say, "What gas cans on the side? How ugly is that."
It's just a thought :thinking:

My original design had them on the side but I want tables there :) and they looked ugly ;)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 22, 2007 8:10 pm

mikeschn wrote:Can you do a picture of that behind a Wrangler? My daughter is getting a Wrangler someday, and I'll have to build something to tow behind it "someday"!

Mike...

Here ya go, I couldn't find a TJ so you'll have to make sure she gets a YJ to get this exact look ;)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 22, 2007 8:13 pm

That is so cool. Let me pass that on to my daughter immediately, if not sooner!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Hey MIKE

Postby Jeeper92 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:54 pm

My wife suprised me with a Wrangler tj two weeks ago. THats what has brought me back to this site. I was on here a while back but got sidetracked and couldnt build my trailer, any idea what my old screen name was??????????????????????????????

THe jeep is an awesome thing mine is lifted and rides on 33 inch tires, itsa freakign tank that rides like a car
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 28, 2007 6:15 pm

Well YA....

Try TAILGATINGnNUT

and here is your trailer...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

yeah, i guess iwas hard to forget hahah

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:31 pm

I have een so busy, with work, 3 kids and one on the way in the past three years i havent even had time to scratch my a$$, hahah. We have another baby on the way (november). The wife gave me the jeep and ive been in absolute dreamland. When you sold that weekender frame up that you sold a while back what did you ask for it?????????????????
Jeeper92
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs