Habitat I

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby TheDuke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Raise up that back curve a little, straighten up the front some, and you have - - - - - - - :D

The height was a surprise to me. Absolutely not planned.
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:50 pm

I'm currently working through stuff from angib. So the wheels may not stay where they are, and the door may move, as well.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:33 pm

How's your CAD training going?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:58 pm

It's not going at all, unfortunately. I need to get back to it. What is your current opinion of viaCAD, now that you've worked with it awhile? Still having difficulties?

I've gotten a tremendous amount of very useful info from angib. It's been a real education. Now I have to organize everything I've learned so I can 1) do the Habitat I, and then maybe 2) write up some kind of quick, simplified thing that others can use. I don't even know if that's possible, yet.

Too many other responsibilities all hitting at once. It may be awhile.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:04 pm

viaCAd is right up there with Turbocad for $1200. I like ViaCAD. The price is right, $99, and the power is there... look at form-Z.

You'll find the time again when you are ready.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mmocken » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 pm

I can vouch for ViaCAD...very good and easy to use. I bought the Mac version.

You can get it for $90 at amazon.

The trial of the 2D program Concepts 2D is free and will give you a feel of ViaCAD

Marty
mikeschn wrote:viaCAd is right up there with Turbocad for $1200. I like ViaCAD. The price is right, $99, and the power is there... look at form-Z.

You'll find the time again when you are ready.

Mike...
mmocken
Teardrop Inspector

Shower

Postby jml79 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:12 pm

I was thinking on your shower desires in this neat little trailer and remembered a KISS and elegant solution that another person has posted on this board. It involves epoxying the inside of you loo and using a pressure garden sprayer as a shower nossle. Basically you heat some water on the stove, pour it into the sprayer and then pump it up and enjoy. Here is the link to the puffin thread with a picute of the sprayer.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... &start=600
jml79
Teardrop Builder

Postby SaGR » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Duke I love the new plan. Height looks perfect to me!

(some reason I've not been getting reply notifications so I'm behind on posts)
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Yea, that's an on again, off again kinda thing. I think they are having a hard time keeping the daemon running. Also check and make sure your notification flag is still turned on.

SaGR wrote:(some reason I've not been getting reply notifications so I'm behind on posts)
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SaGR » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:50 pm

Gotcha... unsubscribed and then resubscribed.
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:01 pm

Larry,

Are you keeping up with the ET build? Sounds like your's is pretty similar to mine!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 096#254096

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:49 am

Mike:
No I haven't. Sorry, but life's little complications have been ganging up lately. I hope to get back to it before long. But I will take a look right now.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:21 am

OK. I think I see what you're doing. I also noticed your wheels are pretty close to the center, just like you said you were going to do. At one time you said you did Andrews spreadsheet, and decided the weight was good with the wheels in the "as supplied" placement. I'm not sure what you have in front that's going to compensate for everything behind (like the kitchen). I re-laid out the Habitat and slid the cabin forward on the frame. I now have the cabin flush with the frame in the rear, and a good bit of cantelever in the front, which the laminated sidewalls will support easily. Only thing is, my "footwell" that lets me stand up in the loo, is greatly reduced in size, because the cabin and frame don't correspond the way they did before. But it seems to work, especially since it lets me use the wheels in the "as supplied" position, and still have a 30" door. Unfortunately, the layout is still in prelim form, or I'd have it in the Album. Other than that, the basic "floor plan" hasn't changed much. Did you ever publish your "floor plan" layout? Just so I can compare with mine?

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 am

BTW - I talked to Paul Hetrick about substituting a 4" dropped axle in place of what comes in the kit, and he said they could do it. It would add $125 to the price. That puts the frame/wheel relationship just about the same as a Dexter axle. Still have to work on the relative costs. If a Torflex and my own welded frame are comparable in cost, then I'd have to go back to the drawing board and put things where I would really like them, like footwells.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 am

So Duke,

Are we making any more progress on the design?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs