rough draft: a standy with hard-sides

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:42 am

While all the designs on paper look good, remember that the auto industry mocks up their designs before the build. My suggestions is to get some cardbord - furniture dealers have large quanties and willing to give it away - and mock it up. then you will kno for sure what works and what needs a redesign - cheaper than reconstruction in paneling, fabric, etc.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby navigator » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Here is the idea for the pop-up version of a teardrop, or a "Pop a Drop". The slide-out bed creates a lot of room in the main body, which could have a dinette/bed on the back wall. Plenty of room to stand up, and a regular teardrop galley for the purists. The dashed lines on the lifting section is the street-side (doorless) shape.

I know the picture is short on details, but does show the concept. It is a bit tall, and I have other versions that have lower profiles, but I am also aiming for a wide (er, tall) audience, such as 6'-4" Barrie. Slide-out measurements are taken from a Coleman, so are not just guesses.

Comments and suggestions...?
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Do you have it mocked up in EPS yet?

Mike...

navigator wrote:Comments and suggestions...?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby navigator » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm

No. I do the first drawings in CorelDRAW, so they are .cdr files. I can export them into many formats, such as the .jpg or .png I post here. If you need EPS, I can save one that way... Won't switch to 3D (Sketchup) till the design is firmer.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby bgordon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:11 am

navigator wrote:... but I am also aiming for a wide (er, tall) audience, such as 6'-4" Barrie.

Leonard,

Thanks also for thinking about taller people, like myself! You know, of course, that doing that makes the design process so much more difficult. I have been working on many different designs for a long time now, and my initial idea was to have the pop-up not higher than 1.4 m (about 55 inches) from the ground, but that proved to be a futile exercise. I am now working at designs that are up to 1.6m (about 66 inches) in height from the ground. That at least gives me some room to play with. From your pictures above it seems that your design's profile is somewhat in the 66 inches range, which seems to be just right. I figured if the trailer is slightly higher than an average car, then it should not create too much drag. The caravan that I have right now, creates much more drag, and feels like a parachute being towed down the highway. So getting the profile as small behind the car is also a main consideration for me. All in all I think your design looks great. I would love to see it in SketchUp!
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:19 pm

To avoid complications (a constant struggle!), the slide-out is abandoned, and I'm back to a simple lift-up, similar to the legendary WW/EH. Here are some current views:

The rear upper wall may do the Esterel lift-with-roof trick, or may be attached to the roof, and do a little jig to set on top of the lower wall. If it is not movable, it hits the last few inches of the wall. Making the back hinged would also let the lower wall fall straight, instead of leaning out, which would gain about 8" of interior length.

It is just over the 66" tall mark, which could be reduced considerably by going to smaller wheels and a lower suspension, but I plan on 15" wheels. Storage under the bed will be accessible from outside doors, and windows and other details are not included yet. Dimensions are subject to adjustment...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby bgordon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 am

navigator wrote:To avoid complications (a constant struggle!), the slide-out is abandoned, and I'm back to a simple lift-up, similar to the legendary WW/EH.

Leonard,

I was thinking about your post, and your constant struggle (just like mine) to find a foldable standy with hard sides without too much complications.

Well, a few weeks ago it dawned on me that these two concepts are mutually exclusive. "Simplicity" and "foldable hard-sided trailer" does not mix. Why? Because of the rain. To seal a foldable hard sided trailer means gutters, seals, and careful planning.

I think I am getting there (a hard sided trailer, that is), but simplicity is unfortunately not in the equasion.

As far as simplicity goes, you cannot beat the Esterel. And, of course, the Escape Hatch/Campmaster is a great design, but it is too high when folded down. :( (I am looking for something that will almost be level with the car when folded down)
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Barrie,

As a quote I read somewhere says, "The necessary cost of reliability is simplicity." Absoultely true, but hard to stick to! The plan I last posted is being refined, and seems pretty simple, with only the rear wall requiring any complications, and few at that. It will be hinged to the roof, rise with it, and swing in to sit on the lower wall. This is easy to build and easy to seal. When open, the rear door will be like a pop-up, full-height with a frame that latches into the opening. The interior will be accessible when closed by another pop-up-like feature (Coleman, anyway): a door that drops down to make a large step/platform. This is just a way to stash stuff, not a way to use/sleep in the trailer.

My object is a small trailer (12' overall, 9' body), good clearance (15" wheels), low profile, a real full-size mattress, room to stand at least for changing clothes and comfort, and lots of storage space (under the bed). Like you, I want to keep as low of a closed profile as possible, but also have reasonable headroom when open. This may require a dropped floor in the rear, a build complication, but not too bad.

I also want a good-sized water supply with a 12v pump, and a water heater for showers. Don't plan on A/C at all. The galley/kitchen will be a removable box, used either as a pull-out or freestanding. Could have a dinette inside, but that is another complication, requiring conversion to use, and eliminating the 'real mattress' feature. Don't really need to eat inside, a canopy is fine, or an awning off the rear of the trailer. Do need a porta-potty on board, as getting older requires those "midnight runs." It does not need to be built in, though.

This looks pretty do-able, and will sure beat setting up a tent and inflating an air mattress!
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby bgordon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:22 am

navigator wrote:As a quote I read somewhere says, "The necessary cost of reliability is simplicity."

Yep. I have to agree, you're right! I just don't know how to apply that principle in a foldable standy!

navigator wrote:Don't really need to eat inside, a canopy is fine, or an awning off the rear of the trailer.

I Agree! I have never eaten inside my trailer.

Tell me - where are you going to place the windows? To me that is the biggest concern with the WW/EH/Campmaster. If you place them in the lifting section (and they can open), the sides becomes too thick due to the window opening mechanism/handle needing some space to slide past the bottom part of the side wall. (Wow, I hope that makes sense. It sure is much easier to visualize than describing it!)
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:32 am

Haven't studied windows too much yet, but do plan on them being in the lifted part. If jalousie/crankout windows are used (so they can be open in the rain), the crank handle or knob can be removed when closed, saving that space. The walls are planned at 1.25" thick, so I'm sure something can be found to do the job. The window area could be inset on the inside (a bit narrower wall), so the window frame is flush with the wall.

<interior>

--------------__________---------------
-------------------------------------------
<exterior>

---- = wall
__ = inset for window

Heading out for another 11-day campout, so wil not be posting for awhile...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Well, down from the mountain. Spent a week and a half at 9,200', and here in AZ it is monsoon season, so it RAINED, and at that altitude the temps were in the 40's AM, 60's PM. An educational experience, again in a borrowed pop-up. Found it quite nice to have room to move about, the main advantage of a pop-up. Encountered the "fold-while-wet" problem as the clouds let loose (again) just as we were getting ready to go: reinforces the hard-side theory! Still better than a tent, as nary a drop got through; quite a contrast to my tenting experience.

So, after recovering from that adventure, I will resume the drafting process. Stay tuned...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Member Designs