TrailBoss

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

TrailBoss - Bigger

Postby wlivesey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:11 am

Hey folks, I've pretty much redesigned the TrailBoss. It's now longer and wider. After paying closer attention to the track width of my FJ Cruiser, I realized that I needed to have interior wheel wells. This cause enough problems that it was just easier to start from scratch. So here it is...

The track of my design now matches my FJ at 63.6 inches.

Even though my design is now over 68 inches in width, it's still quite a bit narrower than my FJ which is 74.6in wide.

Also, The chassis is now 2x2in boxed steel with a 2x3in tounge.

Let me know what you think! Thanks again for all the input.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 am

Here is another view...

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:22 am

I like the frame tubing dimensions.... 2x3 on the tongue sounds good.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby stomperxj » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 am

That looks pretty good to me too. I have 48" between wheel wells and 60" between walls on the inside of mine and it seems to be plenty of room although i have not slept in it yet...

As for the hatch, you can take some 3/4" ply and make some ribs for it. I have seen that done before...

I like the fender wells on the inside better...

Lookin good ;)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Just a bit of info. In Larry Sorrensen's Outback TD, well tested and beat to p*ss on the roads and trails in Mexico, used a 3x3 on his tongue.
"I'm just sayin..."
There you go...
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Russ in California wrote:Just a bit of info. In Larry Sorrensen's Outback TD, well tested and beat to p*ss on the roads and trails in Mexico, used a 3x3 on his tongue.
"I'm just sayin..."
There you go...
8)

Except that is a straight tongue not an a frame ;) The A frame in 2X3 will be stronger than the straight tongue in 3X3.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:35 am

Steve F wrote:
Russ in California wrote:Just a bit of info. In Larry Sorrensen's Outback TD, well tested and beat to p*ss on the roads and trails in Mexico, used a 3x3 on his tongue.
"I'm just sayin..."
There you go...
8)

Except that is a straight tongue not an a frame ;) The A frame in 2X3 will be stronger than the straight tongue in 3X3.

Cheers
Steve

Why do you suppose he went with the straight tongue?
8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:32 am

Russ in California wrote:Why do you suppose he went with the straight tongue?
8)

Because he didn't research on how to build a frame properly? :) That's my guess... An a frame will stand up to way way more abuse than a single tube any day...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:57 am

stomperxj wrote:
Russ in California wrote:Why do you suppose he went with the straight tongue?
8)

Because he didn't research on how to build a frame properly? :) That's my guess ...

You are joking ... right ... :thinking: ...? Larry's been off-roading as long as I've been racing (as in, nearly all our lives!), and he's been a heavy truck mechanic & maintenance guy for longer than I've known him. Trust me, he knows his stuff ... and like Russ has already said, it (his Outback Teardrop) has more-than-stood-the-test-of-time-&-terrain. Lots can be learned from that ornery coot ... ;) ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Steve F » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:49 am

Russ in California wrote:
Steve F wrote:
"I'm just sayin..."
There you go...
8)

Cheers
Steve

Why do you suppose he went with the straight tongue?
8)

It can give more room for tight turns etc before it hits the tow vehicle, other than that and a weight saving I cant think of any real benefit. I like the A frame as it is stronger by design and I plan to mount a tongue box on it for storage as well, this is harder with a single tongue and defeats the added benefit of more turning room that the single tongue offers anyway.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Offroad framing & insulation?

Postby wlivesey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 am

What would you recommend for framing in the roof and side walls? I would like to have 1.5 in. of insulation if possible.

I've looked through Larry Sorensen's Outback TD and see that he used 3/4 ply for his uninsulated walls. I want my walls well insulated but I don't think I should compromise strength.

All the framing also makes my build seem much more complex. :o

Thanks again,
Bill
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:24 am

Steve F wrote:
It can give more room for tight turns etc before it hits the tow vehicle, other than that and a weight saving I cant think of any real benefit. I like the A frame as it is stronger by design and I plan to mount a tongue box on it for storage as well, this is harder with a single tongue and defeats the added benefit of more turning room that the single tongue offers anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Hmmm, Steve, I do respect your opinion but it's hard to believe Larry wouldn't have updated his page if he'd had problems with the tongue. :thinking: Still, nice to get others opinions but I think, ESPECIALLY with Grant's endorsement, can I say that Grant(hope, hope, hope), I'll still base my patten on Larry's.
Now, I'm sure we don't want to get into a pissing match suffice it to say, obviously Steve has had luck with his design and I can't see Larry's success being disputed either.
So...
There you go...
8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:37 am

There are pros and cons to everything. In my opinion, either tounge design would work well for most folks, myself included.

For this trailer, the mounting options offered by the triangular tounge outweigh the turning radius offered by the single tube tounge. I've got propane tank(s), a generator and additional storage to think about so a tounge mounted storage box is a real possibility.

Good stuff guys - all the input is really making my design come together!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Re: Offroad framing & insulation?

Postby wlivesey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 am

wlivesey wrote:What would you recommend for framing in the roof and side walls? I would like to have 1.5 in. of insulation if possible.

I've looked through Larry Sorensen's Outback TD and see that he used 3/4 ply for his uninsulated walls. I want my walls well insulated but I don't think I should compromise strength.

All the framing also makes my build seem much more complex. :o

Thanks again,
Bill

I'm quoting my own post here... I had an idea about how to handle the wall framing and insulation. What if I build my trailer with 3/4 ply walls, like Larry's Outback TD (for strength), but just add very light framing inside to support non-structural interior paneling and insulation? Thoughts anyone???
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Russ in California » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 pm

wlivesey, that's kind of along the lines I was thinking but not with quite as much insulation. Then again, I like the way Grant does his walls. Look here:http://www.forum.teardrops.net/simpleforum_pro.cgi?fid=02&topic_id=1222953610
There you go...
8)
12V Purist
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs