Our initial design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby bigalpha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Well, we've started collecting the supplies.

Tonight we got:
1.5" x 1" x 15'; bundle of 9 = free
~60 sq. ft. laminate flooring = free
~20 sq. ft. of foil backed foam insulation = free

I volunteer at our local Habitat ReStore and perform pick-ups in my POV every once in a while. My girlfriend works there, and she had some extra hours she hadn't gotten paid for, so we got all this stuff for free (it would have cost $42 normally), AND we have $52 left over :D

Of course, we can just volunteer some more and keep a credit line open there, so when he gets some cool stuff in, our credit will pay for it.

So, we've gotten our framing and our floor covering. Next major things left to buy are:
    plywood
    trailer
    epoxy/paint
    windows/door
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 pm

I have GOT to get to our nearest ReStore, which is ONLY 50 miles away in Birmingham. :lol:
Been meaning to go, but it's hard to just take a day to go scrounging. Too many honey-do's. :cry:
Sounds like the place to go digging though! Good luck...maybe you'll find everything you need pretty cheap.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby bigalpha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Heh, I would highly suggest going to your nearest ReStore ... even at our smaller ones, we get some really cool stuff for much cheaper than you could find retail. Not to mention, there's always a bunch of weird stuff that we can't figure out what it's for :oops:

Yeah, hopefully we can really save a lot of money, but keep this thing awesome. We went to Lowe's tonight to go price gathering. Our two most expensive tools are going to be the router and the miter saw.
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Our two most expensive tools are going to be the router and the miter saw.

That's exactly what I was thinking at Home Depot the other day. I think I'll end up at Harbor Freight.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby bigalpha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:38 pm

I thought about hitting up HF for some tools, but the tools just seem so cheap. I'd rather pay $60 one time, than $30 twice.

Unless the tools there really are not as cheap as they seem?
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bigalpha » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:04 am

Here's a couple of SU renderings. I'm still working on getting these 100%. I just started using Google SU about a week ago.

Rough up of the inside. Two 6" tall benches with 6" tall cushions on each, making it 18" tall. A kitchen-type cabinet on the passenger side. A custom cabinet on the driver side:

Rough paint from the side ... SU does this weird thing when you paint an area that's defined on the face of a polygon... that's why the metal looks like a triangle is missing. Not sure why it does this. The red stripes will continue along the front of the trailer, but I didn't put them on right now. As you can see, it's 3am here.

This is a side profile type deal. Again, I'm still working on figuring out all the minute details and getting it 100% awesome. It's only been a week, cut me a break :lol:

So, what do you guys think? I'll hafta see about adding dimensions so it makes it easier for those of you viewing from home. :D
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:36 am

For Tools look up HDC Homier distributing company. Makita Dewalt and Milwaukee tools. These are at about 60% of retail many are factory rebuilt. My Dewalt compound miter saw was $60.00 and it was a factory rebuilt. It has built 45 - 50 mini barns and added a kitcken to my home. It has cut most of the components for 4 decks and 2 teardrop trailers so don't tell me rebuilts are junk. This thing will out live me.

P.S. stay with brands you recognise and yes they have a lot of Chinese crap too.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:12 am

bobhenry wrote: My Dewalt compound miter saw was $60.00 and it was a factory rebuilt. It has built 45 - 50 mini barns and added a kitchen to my home.

Bobhenry, Your minibarns are cool! I'm trying to get permission to build a 12x16 mini barn workshop in my backyard from the HOA Gestapo. they only want to allow 10 x 15, but 12 x 16 offers more efficient use of lumber! (at lesat that's what I'm telling them! local code requires this to be wrapped in plywood)
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 am

Cliff if they persist the 2 foot cut off of one of the 10 foot sides will of course be able to be used on the opposite end and the foot cut off isn't that big a loss. T 111 siding is an exterior grade plywood with the board / board pattern and looks nice and holds up real well. Put a large overhang 12" to 15 " if you can get away with it . (Some home owner assocations measure to the drip line). By all means put huge doors on the long side. Now when you are in need grab a 10' x 10' popup canopy and place at door side. Now you have a 10' x 20' deep (Temporary) shop. A 7/12 roof pitch will give lots of rafter storage. I leave the bottom chord of the 2 center trusses out and it makes it easy to store long length of lumber or bulky items. If you get to the point you need the trusses designed just P.M. me.

Draw up your plans with dimensions of the box and clearly showing the overhangs on both elevations and have them sign off as O.K. ed prior to your build.

I could live in this one ! 15 x 25 with 7 windows and huge double swing shop doors. He was retiring and wanted a furniture stripping and refinish shop to piddle in.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:04 am

bigalpha wrote:I volunteer at our local Habitat ReStore and perform pick-ups in my POV every once in a while. My girlfriend works there, and she had some extra hours she hadn't gotten paid for, so we got all this stuff for free (it would have cost $42 normally), AND we have $52 left over :D

My wife and I also volunteered for about 1 1/2 years. We had found so many great bargains when adding on our kitchen we decided to pay back the favor by volunteering. Windows , Doors, hardware of any and all natures , floor covering be it carpet vinyl or laminated hardwood flooring. Electrical and lighting and we mussent forget cabinets and plumbing fixtures. ( My porch lights on the tear are $5.00 bargains form Habitat). Many items are new discontinued items donated from local merchants. They find it better to donate and get the full tax writeoff than to sell below cost to dispose of it in the stores. By all means check out a re-store in your area.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 pm

We are blessed with 3 ReStores in the Phoenix Valley! They are 10, 20, and 30 miles from my house. Too bad they aren't in a straight line! I understand there are several folks in the area who visit all 3 every Saturday!

I buy windows for the glass. I like to make small rustic cabinets with glass inserts in the doors. I can make one cabinet (2 doors) from one $5 window! Costs $35 to get the glass from a glasier. I have become fairly good at cutting glass!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:41 pm

bobhenry wrote:Cliff if they persist the 2 foot cut off of one of the 10 foot sides will of course be able to be used on the opposite end and the foot cut off isn't that big a loss. T 111 siding is an exterior grade plywood with the board / board pattern and looks nice and holds up real well. Put a large overhang 12" to 15 " if you can get away with it . (Some home owner assocations measure to the drip line). By all means put huge doors on the long side. Now when you are in need grab a 10' x 10' popup canopy and place at door side. Now you have a 10' x 20' deep (Temporary) shop. A 7/12 roof pitch will give lots of rafter storage. I leave the bottom chord of the 2 center trusses out and it makes it easy to store long length of lumber or bulky items. If you get to the point you need the trusses designed just P.M. me.

Draw up your plans with dimensions of the box and clearly showing the overhangs on both elevations and have them sign off as O.K. ed prior to your build.

I could live in this one ! 15 x 25 with 7 windows and huge double swing shop doors. He was retiring and wanted a furniture stripping and refinish shop to piddle in.

Thanks, Bobhenry! Ours has to match the house, so stucco with a tile roof. I will put double doors in the long side, and I'm also going to try to get away with a porch cover in front (my house has one :))

Thanks for the offer on the trusses. I will take you up on that!

God Bless!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby TinKicker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Bigalpha, your design is looking good! SU isn't something you learn all the details on in ten minutes. If I understand right, you're having problems with areas "disappearing" and leaving holes. If I'm wrong, oh well. Anyway, just take your line draw tool and trace one side of the affected area and it should fill back in. You can hide those ugly lines by activating the line and going to...I think...the EDIT tab and clicking HIDE.
As far as tool quality at HF, of COURSE a lot of it's crap...but I'm not a woodworker by trade. Heck, I've got cheap WalMart special Campbell Hausefield air tools that are almost 20 years old and still working! It's all in how you use/abuse and maintain the tools.
But if you plan on doing a lot of woodworking, buy the quality stuff. But don't buy more than you can afford! :thumbsup:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby bigalpha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, I'll fill it in with a texture or color, and if I zoom out kind of far, the space stays filled in. But, if I zoom in and do any kind of panning, the picture gets all crazy looking.

For example:

You can see in the front how the metal texture looks half-missing. In reality, it's completely filled in. Not sure why this happens, but it's pretty annoying.

Yeah, I think we've decided to get some good quality equipment from Lowe's.
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TinKicker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:56 pm

That texture difference is because one or more of your lines is not perfectly true. Can't be easily changed without starting over. Been there. No fun. :lol:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs