profile shape

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

profile shape

Postby rdkng07 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I am almost finished with the profile I will use on my build. I bumped up the ceiling to use the full 60" sheet and look what it did. :o A totaly different look that I wasn't after. Not bad, but not what I'll use.

Rodger
rdkng07
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Not a critique of your plan, but of the way you are showing it. It's really hard for these old eyes to see those thin red lines on that black background. Try black and white. It's worked well for drawings for a long time.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby rdkng07 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi Chris, sorry about that, just the way my cad is set up. Thanks for pointing that out. Try this:

Rodger
rdkng07
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Chris,

My eyes are still a few years behind yours and I couldn't even see the thin red lines until you said that they were there. 8)

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:09 pm

I like the profile (#1). Don't be afraid to make the interior (rear closet) cabinets bigger. They will hold lots of stuff. The front closet and shelf design looks very functional. You might look at moving the axle position forward for better balance.

All in all, a good shape. Work on all aspects and considerations as you design on paper. Don't be afraid to " go back to the drawing board" at times. Ideas will come up and changes will make it all worth the effort.

Good job so far. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:35 pm

RD, thanks for the second post...the profile you prefer has a Ken-Skil look to it :thumbsup: ...like Kurt sez, you might wanna consider deepening the interior cabinets and unless you are not critical with the amt of tongue weight you will have, you may just possibly wanna move the axle slightly forward, especially if you may want to add a tongue box.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Ahhhh! Much better, rdkng07, thanks! :applause:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby rdkng07 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi,
Thanks for looking at it. The first profile is indeed close to a Ken Skil. I used the drawing Andrew made and put it into common geometry. You can't do that with a true Ken Skil profile, that’s why it's close but not exact. I also made it 8" longer, 6" taller, and 12" wider than the Ken Skil. It was mentioned before about a generic Ken Skil when Mike did the Benroy, so I wanted to see how close I could get to the look with out using splines or ellipses.
Your right, the axle does need to move forward. It is placed where I had it before I stretched the cabin, but even then I think it was too far to the rear.
The cabinets over the raceway are 6” wide. I don’t like the “bottom of the stairway” look of some cabinets that are staggered, and am trying to maximize the cabin area. I was hoping that most of our clothes would be in the tow vehicle. I will also say however that I have never seen a td trailer let alone been in one, so I appreciate the advice from people who know of what they speak. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Rodger
Rodger
rdkng07
Donating Member

Postby T-TownTear » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 pm

I actually like the 2nd drawing. It leaves a little more "sitting up in bed" room. Would make it more friendly when getting stuck in a rainstorm when camping.

Jody
T-TownTear
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:27 am

my personal choice is profile 2,, but you build what is more to your liking not ours,,, I do agree with Kurt,, widen the cabnets in the rear to at least 12 to 14" deep,,, divide it into two three or 4 sections and have access from the cabin for half of the space and access from the galley for the other space,, you need to have it wide enough to put a folded towel, jeans, etc in for the space to be useable,,

I have two spaces to the galley and one larger space for the cabin in mine,, pics in profile

just how I did it

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:23 am

My choice would be #2 also. I just like the shape better. I would agree with the cabinets. My wire raceway is 7" and couldn't see it as being deep enough to be functional. If you are planning for a TV or Stereo you might want to reconsider.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs