A Big Tear

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

A Big Tear

Postby chezrad » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 am

This is my design that I did a while back for a big tear that could sleep 4 people, 2 of them kids, and had an enclosed porti potti. Since the wheel wells can be built under the side beds, this one could also be built wide.

I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Wow, I like that design. That shape looks familiar....

Nice!! What are the dimensions you are thinking of? My camper has a 5 1/2 foot bunk and it can barely fits my son who is about 5'2". Littler kids should be easier. My camper is like a smaller clone of this without a galley. However I don't have stand-up room either.
:thumbsup:
Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:35 pm

I believe it was one of the profiles that originated in this forum that I took and streched here and there. I really can't remember how long ago I did this, but I remeber the discussions at the time were concerning how to get as much stuff as possible in a small space.

I recently had a friend pick up an older camper that had a similar layout. The top bunk in front folded down to create the back of a seating are in front. ALong with the dinette in the back end you could have a comfortable seating arangement in inclement weather. (Just a thought)
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:04 pm

My bunks also fold down for seating. It works out great and is actually very comfortable. My floor beds make another seating area and then there is a fold-up table. Check out my gallery, it is what you are thinking in minature. :)

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:44 pm

THat's the idea! :thumbsup:

How do you support the bunk? I didn't see anything mounted on the wall. :thinking:
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Look again in the first photo... you'll see a barrel bolt attached to the underside of the bunk... :oops:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:43 pm

mikeschn wrote:Look again in the first photo... you'll see a barrel bolt attached to the underside of the bunk... :oops:

Mike...

Is that what those things are called Mike? That sounds better than bolt lock things which might have been my description. They also have holes in the tubular part that accepts a clip to keep the bolt from backing out for added safety. The bunk is a box made out of 1Xs and 6mm lauan and is stiff as a board (oh, did I say that). :oops:

The top bunk folds down and rests on a couple of rubber bumpers at a nice angle for sitting. Takes about 14 seconds to change from bunk to couch. It is a great space saver if you have someone who will fit across the camper.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:25 am

I would not have thought that a pair of barrel bolts would be sufficient to hold much weight before tearing out of the bunk or breaking the inside wall sheathing of the tear. What size are those things?
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:52 am

How about using a bunk latch to latch that bunk? $4 each.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby chezrad » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:08 pm

OK, I like the idea of using the plate to prevent tear out. But this thing is only 3 - 4 inches long! (Yes, some of us think that's big, but that's a different post!) :lol:

I really would hesitate to put a child up in one of these things with only two of these latches holding it up. I would be afraid that the average youngster, who jumps and rolls and doesn't know how to hold still would break the edge and come crashing down. :cry:

I was searching and found some 8" bolts that have a lot more surface area for the bunk end to hold onto. Granted you'd have to cut the bolt off to prevent it from coming through the wall, but it sure seems a lot sturdier to me. (Maybe it's because my kids are on the big side of things, or maybe I'm just really paranoid!) :roll:
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Hey, that layout is pretty much what I've considered as the best TD option for my whole family to sleep in. I would do a wet bathroom and cassette toilet opposite the door. Main bed would be crosswise and raised up even higher for lots of storage.

When I was a kid we had a little '60's trailer that had front and rear bunks held up to the ceiling by little barrel bolts when not in use, but rested on cleats when down. If we trailed it with the bunks up the front one would always work loose and fall down into the sleeping position.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby EZ » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Chezrad, if those things were so weak they wouldn't make very good locks. I think they only stick into the wall about 1/2 inch. The back of the bunk is supported by 2 fairly decent sized hinges. I have no problem getting up there myself; no 100 pound kid is going to cause that to come down. You would have to jump on it to break it, and there isn't any room to jump.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs