A Teardrop Moterhome?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

A Teardrop Moterhome?

Postby TyCobb » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about building something on a larger scale.

I built my teardrop, to go on hunting trips.

It's only 4x8 but I find when I'm out for more than a week and a half, It gets kind of old. I'm into old trucks, and have seen some Cab over engines, (COE) 1 1/2 tons that have been turned into car haulers that are way cool. I sort of got this idea from one car hauler I saw where the guy extended the cab about 8 foot and made sort of a mini living area for his wife when they went to car shows.
The following pic is one I pulled off the net and altered just to get a ideal of what I'm talking about.

I'd ideally like to change it to a diesel engine, and have the cab and all redone before I ever started on the camper part.

:thinking: any thoughts?
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tddriver » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:43 pm

I can't think of a reason why it couldn't be done...as long as fuel consumption isn't a big factor. You could tie it into the cab of the truck with a "bellows" connector. That would give you another door option. Of course, that would depend on your seat configuration.

Should be interesting to see the plans develop. :thumbsup:
Dave
Dave

Is it time to camp yet?

tddriver
Teardrop Master

Postby MSG Hall » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:37 am

{its Bruce to my friends}

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 am

MSG Hall wrote:Image

Here ya go !Image

Hatch back model would have the galley in the rear :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: A Teardrop Moterhome?

Postby grant whipp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:35 pm

TyCobb wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about building something on a larger scale ... pic is one I pulled off the net and altered just to get a ideal of what I'm talking about.

:thinking: any thoughts?

I think what would be cool in this case would be to cut the roof and back of the cab off just above & behind the doors and build a teardrop-shaped overhead bunk (a la Class C motorhomes) and then taper the roofline back to a real teardroppy rearend complete with outside galley & all. Start with the Streamline Midget profile and stretch & pull 'til you get the main body shape, then mate it to a Modernistic/Cub front profie for the overhead portion.

Another thing you could do is take the early '60s Ford Econoline or Chevy version and cut off everything above the floor except the dash & steering column and start up with that, making a nearly 100% Teardrop Motorhome ... :thumbsup: ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I continue to toy with the idea of a 3 wheel self propelled teardrop. small car drive axle and electric/ hyrdaulic or very small diesel/hydraulic drive to a small rear wheel drive axle and a single steer tire in front. The best part its a motorcycle so several DOT regulations can be circumvented.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: A Teardrop Moterhome?

Postby TyCobb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:19 pm

grant whipp wrote:Another thing you could do is take the early '60s Ford Econoline or Chevy version and cut off everything above the floor except the dash & steering column and start up with that, making a nearly 100% Teardrop Motorhome ... :thumbsup: ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Thats a thought but if I made one that big with a rear opening hatch galley, it would have to have a swingout pit BBQ :R
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:34 pm

The only problem with this whole plan is now you are back to having to tow a small car behind you if you want to do any running around whilst you're traveling. :( :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby TyCobb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:38 pm

That is part of my plan, a 4wd sidekick or old jeep. I built my teardrop because I got tired of putting up a tent by head lights at 2 in the morning.
I'm starting to think if I'm gone for 3 or 4 weeks some where, I'd like to get dressed standing up for a change and a shower besides one in my Cabelas shower tent. That and I've watched one to many episodes of Monster Garage.
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Just for spits n' giggles, I sat down and sketched this up ...

It's a little out of proportion, but I think you get the idea ... ;) ...

When I was heavy into Street/Hot Rodding, I'd have just about killed for something like this, but I already had all my money tied up in the 'rod ... :oops: ...

Grist for the mill ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Joanne » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:13 pm

grant whipp wrote:Just for spits n' giggles, I sat down and sketched this up ...

When I was heavy into Street/Hot Rodding, I'd have just about killed for something like this, but I already had all my money tied up in the 'rod ... :oops: ...

Grist for the mill ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant, that's a neat drawing!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby jay » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm

jay
Donating Member

Postby raprap » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Rap
Kentucky Pool Made a Fool out of me.
Instead of Tennessee River it looks like I'm headed to the deep blue sea.

JHartford
raprap
Teardrop Master

Postby TyCobb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:00 pm

grant whipp wrote:Just for spits n' giggles, I sat down and sketched this up ...

Now thats what I'm talking about :thumbsup:

My rendition looked more like a loaf of bread than a teardrop :oops:
TyCobb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks, Joanne & Ty!

Just some inspired doodlin' ... the '36-7 IH COE is one of my favorite cab styles ... :thumbsup:

Jay, Rap, & Bob ...

While the Scarab, that wooden sportscar, and especially Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion are cool enough, the title of this thread is Teardrop Motorhome ...

... and, while I'm playon' Gage for a moment, seems like a bunch of you need to figure out how to re-size the images you want to post ... :shock: ...! Have a little pitty on us poor folk on country dial-up ... :thinking: ...

CHEERS!

Grant
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Member Designs