rough draft: a standy with hard-sides

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

rough draft: a standy with hard-sides

Postby navigator » Fri May 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Submitted for your aproval, a design that looks like a tear when closed, but opens with over 6' interior height, and has hard sides and a normal door. This plan was developed after seeing Len's Pac Man tear, and operates similar to an Esterel folding caravan. The rear drop-step is based on the Camp Master/Wild Goose.

Storage is under the matress, with access via small doors. No, you cannot sleep in it when closed. There is about 30 inches between the bed and rear wall, enough to change clothes. Headroom at the front of the bed is about 20 inches, so it won't be too clausterphobic.

So far the main design problem is the angle at the top of the rear folding wall. Will spend more time on this when I can, but thought maybe someone else could see a solution I'm overlooking.

Last Memorial Day weekend, our camp-out ended with a visit from an overbearing bear, while this year it snowed (SNOWED!) and the wind blew for four days and nights. Hard sides are needed to circumvent these situations.

hmmmmm
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 30, 2008 7:31 pm

That is very cool. I can see you spent some time getting that to work!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm

That is WAY cool. :o

I am always amazed at the creativity of the people in this group. I can't wait to see your unit under construction.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Mike C. » Fri May 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Very interesting design. :applause:

I will look forward to seeing your build pictures as you start making sawdust. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 am

Miriam C. wrote::thinking: :twisted: :D Just one thang...........what you gonna do with a Missouri rain shower when you fold it wet? Unless there are some type of water proof membranes to keep it out. ;) :thinking:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 31, 2008 4:07 am

I'd like to see the galley, and the storage...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Sat May 31, 2008 9:53 am

:applause: :applause: COOL!! Ohh this is going to be a good one to watch being built. :twisted: :twisted:

Please Please Please keep us posted. :worship:

Mike, I don't think there is any room for a Galley??? :thinking:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby angib » Sat May 31, 2008 11:28 am

That's a very neat idea.

But sadly it doesn't work in several different places:

- The short 'roof' on the rear hits the two folding sidewalls when down (green oval) - I presume that's the problem you knew about.

- One folding sidewall hits the other when they're down - this can be overcome if the top of one wall ends a long way (say, 12") in from the other wall's hinge, but I don't think you've got that.

- The returns either side of the rear wall hit the two folding sidewalls when down (red ovals).

- The bottom of the returns either side of the rear wall hit the fixed inner sidewalls (the bits the folding sidewalls sit on) as it folds down (blue circles).

If you made the folding rear wall fit in between the folding sidewalls (ie, put returns on the back of the sidewalls, not the sides of the rear wall), then it might work. But:

- the two sidewalls would need to be hinged at different heights so one could lay down on top of the other, and

- the rear wall would need to be hinged below the line of the lower sidewall hinge, so it could lie underneath them.

These two requirements mean that 'folded stack' of sidewalls and rear wall will be maybe 6-8" deep and I don't think you've got that spare depth available.

The trick with these sort of designs is entirely in the detail design of the joints - it's easy to make ideas work using zero-thickness panels and self-sealing joints, but regrettably those things don't exist in real life!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sat May 31, 2008 11:36 am

Hey there, navigator!

Very COOL design! It's going to be really interesting to watch this one develope and hopefully one day make it onto the streets, roads, & highways! I have some random questions, comments, & suggestions ... if you'll humor me ... ;) ...

• Why did you set the bed so high? Are you planning to have the wheels/tires inside the body?
• And that leads to a question about access to the storage under the very front (head) of the bed
• What kind(s) of lifting mechanism(s) are you considering?
• Have you thought about a droppd footwell in the rear to increase headroom?
• I can see this design has the potential for a gaucho-type dinette setup, but then, that brings up the question of galley or no galley ... :thinking:
• I'm sure more will come up as discussions continue ...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this design come together! Good Luck with it!

BTW ... do you have a name we can call you other than "navigator" ...?

As always, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby navigator » Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 pm

Regarding the Miriam C quote, "Just one thang...........what you gonna do with a Missouri rain shower when you fold it wet? Unless there are some type of water proof membranes to keep it out."... Of course any folding trailer has issues with being "...put away wet," but hard sides are certainly better than canvas (or nylon). It should go down pretty quickly, minimizing any exposure to rain.

Last weekend our tent held up OK for a few hours of rain, but eventually it started coming through, and the bedding got wet. A quick pack-up at 3AM and a run for home (an hour away) solved that, and we returned for more camping after the rain (and SNOW!) left. But a hard-sided trailer would have stayed dry inside during the rain, which is the main issue. (I emphasize the snow due to the fact that three days before and three days after, we had 100 degree temps.)

A teardrop-style galley is not planned, rather the removable ausie-style "kitchenin-a-box" would be stored under the bed. Aiming for 18" under the bed, but that depends on other design constraints.

Now for the real issues, Bullshipper:

- "The short 'roof' on the rear hits the two folding sidewalls when down (green oval) - I presume that's the problem you knew about. "

Yes, that's the main problem. A reshaping of the profile to allow more height could solve it, but I like the current design.

- "One folding sidewall hits the other when they're down - this can be overcome if the top of one wall ends a long way (say, 12") in from the other wall's hinge, but I don't think you've got that."

The side walls will lay on each other at different angles, and should work, though the hinge points could be varied if needed. The Esterel sidewalls lay on each other, and hinge from the same height, so it should be OK.

- "The returns either side of the rear wall hit the two folding sidewalls when down (red ovals). "

The rear wall works like an Esterel, where the short sides attached to the end wall are a bit wider than the side walls, and overlap the lower edge. This wall is hinged higher than the sidewalls, so it lays on top, and needs to be that way since it lifts before the side walls. Here is a detail shot of the real thing, and see Mike's (mwatters ) album for more pix: http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ser_id=287

- "The bottom of the returns either side of the rear wall hit the fixed inner sidewalls (the bits the folding sidewalls sit on) as it folds down (blue circles)."

An issue to be resolved...

"The trick with these sort of designs is entirely in the detail design of the joints - it's easy to make ideas work using zero-thickness panels and self-sealing joints, but regrettably those things don't exist in real life!"

Having drawn dozens of variations on this theme, I am getting pretty good at seeing what will be workable, and what is just dreaming. This plan is getting down to something that's possible, just a few more kinks to straighten out. I draw all my walls at 1.25 inch thick, which should work for a variety of construction methods. The top edges are under the roof, and the bottoms have overlapping molding to seal them. I have spent a lot of time studying photos of folding caravans, to understand how they fold, unfold, and seal their joints.

This image shows the basic lower body, which is one piece. Th elower part of the walls are 2.5 inches thick, the ledge is where the roof sits when closed. The green wall is one of the folding sidewalls, which sit on the upper walls.

Grant...

• Why did you set the bed so high? Are you planning to have the wheels/tires inside the body?

The tires will be half-in/half-out. I am not including them yet, while I work on the basic design. I want the trailer to be less than 6' wide. The main body is 9' long, the trailer will be 12' overall. As I see it, one of the drawbacks to teardrop is that all the storage is on top of the matress. My design put it under.

• And that leads to a question about access to the storage under the very front (head) of the bed

There will be exterior access doors in front of the wheels.

• What kind(s) of lifting mechanism(s) are you considering?

Again, look to the Esterel, with it's hydauic struts.

• Have you thought about a droppd footwell in the rear to increase headroom?

Yes, one drawing had that, which allows a lower lid height, but I prefer this design.

• I can see this design has the potential for a gaucho-type dinette setup, but then, that brings up the question of galley or no galley ...

Yes, it could be designed that way, but one goal is to have a "real" matress to sleep on. No galley, as in my experience, I cannot always put the rear of the trailer where I would like the "kitchen" to be.

• I'm sure more will come up as discussions continue ...

Great! That's what I'm looking for. Thanks all for the feedback, and I will be working out more of the details as time allows.

You can call me Leonard.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm

It looks a lot like an open T-van, same style except the top doesn't squish down. Also rather than a door on the back the Tvan has a tent annex that folds out of the rear hatch.

This is the interior looking in from the back.

Storage is under the bed and pulls out to the sides for the kitchen etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby navigator » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Sketchup is not so great for details, and lacking a CAD program, I switched to CorelDRAW. The design will work (after a few minor changes), as can be seen in these graphics...

The slideouts are neat, but I want to stay with a removable kitchen. I do plan to have hot water, so a shower annex may be included, as part of a rear awning. The T-Van is a nice design, but lacks the "style" of a teardrop...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:04 am

I can see how the sides of the rear wall will clear both the base and the folded sidewalls, but I think most of the rear wall still hits the folded sidewall near the hinge - the red triangle in this sketch:

I appreciate the Esterel's sidewalls fold on top of each other - that's because they're much less high than the width of the trailer and there's plenty of vertical space where they're folded. This design doesn't meet either of those conditions, so it would be worth drawing a cross section through the folded sidewalls as shown by the blue arrows. I think this will show that the lower sidewall needs to fold down to an angle well below the horizontal - clean through the bed, in other words.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby navigator » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Not exactly a profile, but with the same results... The drawing on the left would be a cross-section at the level of the top of the foot of the bed, with an end view of the folded walls. Their upper and lower boundaries are shown by the orange lines. Sadly, the bed must be lowered considerably to accomadate them, to the point of "why bother". Looks like the side walls may be canvas, after all...

Thanks for the observations, that's what I was after! :thinking:
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Trackstriper » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Navigator,

Do you have some dimensions for the desired side profile? Also what do you have for the length, thickness of the mattress and how much clearance do you want under it? 14"? Maybe with some hard numbers, others on the forum might be able to work on the details. It's such a neat concept for a teardrop, I'd hate to see it not work out. I keep thinking that the key is in getting the rear wall hinge point high enough to allow the sides to fold under without problem. You might have to give up a little something on the side profile, but my gut is that it still can be done. Help us out with some numbers on the profile. And you want to keep the width at 72" or less, right?

On the free end of software, Sketchup is such a great tool to visualize things in 3D. A very simple 2D CAD program would help you out a lot at this stage. I visualize things in Sketchup, but when I need real dimensions and the ability to easily move objects around I play in TurboCad, I think it's equally as easy...just different. There used to be a freebie download of TurboCad Learning Edition (LE) on the internet...that would give you all you need for this project.

I did a quick search and came up with the following link.

http://www.freecad.com/cgi-bin/dcd/dcd.cgi

Do a search in the box for "TurboCad LE"

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Member Designs