BoxKite Phase II underway

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

BoxKite Phase II underway

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 am

I have a trip comming up and nothing like a little pressure to get more done.

broken down to 4 phases one a wk or sooner.
Wk 1. front storage area / wind reduction in front.
the wind resistance at the front of the trailer is poor (was built for truck to pull and so with car wind hits it reducing gas milage.
I have area in the front for a landing where I can put a box to hold battery, Tire, wood, and other things that might otherwise weigh down the front.

Wk2 finsish fender hopefully will not take a wk so I can work more on phase 4

wk3 build insert for my door then new doors. frame is week now and instert will strengthin frame.

wk 4 rear hatch to hold lights and paper town holder. and cross shelf in back will also be built.

should be done aug. 15

Ron D
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 am

7/26 awoke and realized my plan. write it out here and on paper.
Started work on font of trailer removed wood at bottom front and cut 2 2x4's for support under the front storage area going under the metal frame that I cut yesterday from a alumanum pallet.
I will first bolt the 2x4's to the pallet then I will mount a pc of ply on top of the aluminum. using sheet metal screws I will attach the wood base to the aluminum. then I can start cutting sides and top for front boot (as the english say)

In the boot I will put the spare tire, Battery, firewood, and heavy things that I might other wise put in the trunk.

I want to do something similer to what Charlee B, Steve H., Amy H., and classicfin, Campinn and
I found JPolck to show how his was made
I had his site and lost it.... anyway he is in hall of fame and it is on page 9 of his album.

Ron D.[/url]
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm

7/27 Lucia worked on staining and sealing the top part of the finder/shelf. One this day she sanded down the first layer I had put down before a camping trip to Santa Maragareta, ca.
while I removed the pc of wood at the front bottom, then filling cracks I his missed from before with wood filler.
7/28 put the first layer of paint were the wood was removed. while Lucia put the first layer of stain/sealer on the bottom of the fender.
7/29 Lucia went off to store and got me some glossy white Ace hardware paint and a small brush for herself.
7/30 we both put second layers on our work areas. then we would go off to work. I painted other parts that needed second coat below the strip.

I will be off for 2 days thu. fr. and can finish the front boot/chest floor, sides, and top or at least cut it for glueing and airgun stapeling.
I can also purchase the 2 sheets of oak plywood and have them cut to size a My store Home Depot San Luis obispo. and the oak stips of wood that I will need for the boot/chest walls and the doors and the rear hatch.
I only have to figure where the money is coming from.
:?
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

week 3

Postby Sam Stone » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Ron, I am glad to hear about your week 3 plans. The gun ports on your doors kind of made me nervous :lol:

Sam
Sam Stone
Teardrop Inspector

Re: week 3

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Sam Stone wrote:Ron, I am glad to hear about your week 3 plans. The gun ports on your doors kind of made me nervous :lol:

Sam

I am traveling into Cow Boy and Indian country and might run across some bad ambres and have to defend my squaw. :lol:
plus you never know how many racoons there are east of Los Osos.
(see slo gathering 2007 to understand under california events.)
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:52 pm

To understand why I have such a strong support under the Boot/chest you should look at my origanal trailer frame from boat trailers.

7/30 attached the aluminum frame to a 2x4 and a second aluminum support that runs under the center bars to the other side. Painted some more of the front with a 2nd coat and figured out the placement and size of the platform needed for under the Boot/chest.

tomarrow I go to Home Depot and get plywood for rear hatch, and front lower part of Boot/chest. Plus inforcment pc's for corners.

Steve B should be back from ORG2 and he can help me with the doors.
I want to put in the smallest of windows and need to order it I am doing it now.
http://www.lilbear.teardrops.net/parts.html
offers a good solection I may have to put in a window and put in the screen if I run out of time. I also need a top vent.
I am use to walking in stores and buying off the shelf but I have not seen what he has here.

Ron D. 15 to 18 days to go :thumbsup: getting nurves. :shock:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 pm

8/1 metal palit that was cut down to size is now attached and the board that goes on top of it is cut and painted. Lucia has almost finished with the lacor coat for the top of the fender. tomarrow I will be attaching the wood base to the metal frame with sheet metal screws.

Pull out the truck that I rarly drive and went down and got plywood for the rear hatch and the 2 doors. and some 1x2x10 to be used at the corners of the Boot/chest.

tonight or tomarrow I will see if I can remove the shocks which look like they have been on there sence new.

tomarrow at work I will see what wood I will need for the Door frame. I may not put a door lock on I may continue with the old gate padlock outside and slide lock inside.

tonight I will try and call Grant about windows for the doors. it is 6:32 and he might be there or out to dinner.
http://www.lilbear.teardrops.net/index.html
Ron D.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 am

8/4 over the last few days I bought wood for doors, hatch, support wood for chest.

A friend is letting me use hit table saw to cut plywood for lower part of my chest.

my wife finished the top of my fender great job stained and glossy.

After I get the fender top on I will take some more shots and try and download them so you know what the hell I am talking about.

Windows are on their way, Grant Whipp will help you with what you need I first met him in Mendacino meet really nice guy.

Steve said he would help me do the doors.

I still have not done the shocks and will be talking to a guy tomarrow about that.

I am thinking of shortening trip and coming back in a couple of years to do the rest of the trip. that way I can camp for a couple of days and rest. there is a high rated RV park in Grants. if it works out I will go to Choco Canyon from there. I wanted to goto mesa verde but my wife feers that is to far and will take to long.

and I found that Emiller will be in Williams AZ 15, 16, 17 the first weekend of my trip . So we will try and catch him a small chance but a chance.

there are some Teardropers in NM might also catch up to. one is Los Crusis and one in Alb. we are only planing to go as far south as Socorro but will see when we get there.

Ron D.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:24 pm

8/5 went to Steve B's (Estebon) house after work and cut wood for my chest. He could not help me much he has been very busy. I told him of the windows coming from Grant and had hoped he would help me rebuild the doors. I can see his doors and see what I can do on mine.

We sat and talked about slodog's sloDuchovengroup meet that I went to and he told me about the Mendecino and the IRG meet's
we sat and talked till late into the night. I got some things done that he could not do then went home. Hope recovery is quick Steve.

8/6 drove to work with the trailer in tow and took it into a trailer shock shop to have my shocks measured. 15" "little ones", he said "a home made hu neet. laughing.

I hope to have the rear hatch and the box done by monday. I have Thurs and fri. off so there is a chance.

Assembaling a camp supply take along list. heard there is one on the TTT site somewhere. need to get a spare, deep charge battery, oil changed, new battery for car, figure out what I am taking and what I can leave behind.

Ron D. about 12 days to go.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:29 pm

8/7,8/8,8/9

rear hatch assembled wife sealing and staining she is very good at that.
got wood for upper part of chest, shain, fasteners for it too.
I got the windows for the doors which are black on the edges, and today I bought door handles that are also black, designed for a medal security door thin. got metal pc's for the door frame reinforcement. I was going to build a door insert but that takes time.
chest got it's seond staining, I attached a solar light to the front of it.
the upper part of the fenders has been completed and attached stain looks great.
monday trailer goes in for new shocks if they can find them 15" is hard to find hope it does not take 2 days.
need to change the oil
am thinking of instead of a battery in the front a car battery charging unit that can be removed and jump start a car if needed. seems practical.
Looking at improvements for inside selves hangers and the such.
Ron D.
;)
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Good greef it is 8/14 already down to the deadline

last track as to what day was what.
Chest done 95% just finsished painting the top part
skin on top not quite finished. and need to stain top board .
inside hook up trailer and dividers for wood, bat, and other small things.
Dividers designed just need to cut and install
Hatch 95% done is on Lucia stained it and painted the inside white.
Neighbor came over to help install the hatch
Need to put in insolation, 2 more hinges, and what emiller used on his to
keep the rain out from over head, and need to make a support when open. had covers for sides from a freebe in a neighbors yard.
tomarrow 8/15 I will work on
finder which is 50% done have all the parts.
electrical need some catchup to do
findish hatch, and chest
may have lucia stain wood for doors outside, will paint wood inside flat white.
need to get wood for middle of doors
will start getting things for trip
Sat. and sunday may start doors
have windows thanks to Grant, have door lock Clearance at Home Depot,
will use hinges from old doors,

monday leave to NM tirp
took lots of pix's no time to down load, I have been up scence 4am and it is now 9:30 pm time tor bed.
:oops: :? ;) Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 am

Go Ron! Go! Go Ron Go!
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:43 am

Going to Home Depot today get wood for the middle
PVC for my over head attached cover. :o
I am using U units like you use to hole a pipe to a wall, putting PVC in it put an A shape above the trailer at front and back accross width at front and back and a poll down the center attaching at the point of the A and just before the PCV pipe is attached to the angle peace that leades to the A I will put in a T so I can attach another PVC pipe to that that will go out on each side as porch shade. the fabric will go over the A and over each of the Porch areas. and Polls leading down from each porch areas for support. :? :? did you follow that.
Getting couduit small and large size to support the back hatch
Fender sitll 10% done.-- have wood and L bracket
hatch 90% done need to put bottom sideing, bottom inslation,
cut a some fo the bottom so it fits in more snug put in locks and
snug up fasteners like you use on your lunch box or tool box.
chest 98% done needs lock and insolation and some holes drilled and
dividers made inside. Spare tire installed
for my power.
am using a Black and Decker Electormate 400 plus (no air pump)
I did not buy it here but good pixs of it.
[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000H774C8
[/url] at site it gives you closer views of it all around.
doors have all but center wood have handles, hinges, window,
just need to put it together.
Now I take my shower and head off to the store
Ron D.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:44 am

8/16 tomarrow is my last day before the trip. I had hoped to leave sat. and catch up with Emiller but that will not be happening.

finders 75% done need to paint or stain, add 2 more supports and cut a cover.
Hatch has lifts but the hatch is to heavy but it is easyer to lift now.
Old doors will remain put in new locks and will put in one of the windows.
I am thinking of bringing along the parts for the new doors incase I have a chance to put them on.
chest needs inside deviders tire installed and a lock Lucia finished staining the new parts.
need to install DC connectors inside trailer
Pack and rest for my long flight on land.
Need to change oil may go to Jiffy lube although I prefer my mechanic or run it up on a ramp and do it my self ... no time.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 am

there is one thing I have learned after all those years on this projcet.
Finshished never really happens, Now it become fine tuning.

Phase II how ever Is "DONE"

Tomarrow I leave but I will be bringing some tools along.

Back hatch Done only better lock is needed
chest is done Yes Done
fenders are all but painted and
skirts will be put on when I come back have the wood.
Doors well they are the same doors and I still have the strange looking vent on the side but on the other door I Put one of the Windows Grant sent me Nice now I have cross venting and if I rally gets hot I can open the hatch.

See Phase III
to understand the refindments needed.
:applause: :D :M :beer: :wine: :dancing :thumbsup: I m goen campin I m goen campin I m goen campin
Ron Dickey and his Box Kite TTT ;)
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Member Designs