Joe's Benroy

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Joe's Benroy

Postby joecnc2006 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Well I signed up a few nights ago, went over all the designs here, and here is what i want to build.

It will be a 6'x10' Benroy similar to the Baja version I will Model it and the exterior walls will have framing and foam insulation (I'm in texas so it gets pretty hot and an a/c is a must).

I will post pictures of the model as i draw it up, I'm sure there will be changes along the way, Looking forward to your comments and advice in this endevor.

Well i do not see an option to add files, i.e. pictures.

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:19 am

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

Pictures can be added via the album button in the menu. For directions, see the "Help with Photos" up there in the menu.

a 6x10 Baja Benroy is a good choice. We really liked that one! But the wheels need to be moved forward a bit from the photos, cause our tongue was too heavy.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joecnc2006 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 am

I will look at how to reduce the weight in the front.

Yours is the example i will be following, excilent work on that one. I thought about a cargo conversion for the ease of it but it just would not have the caricature of a Benroy.

Here are the wall framing sections. what is the material and size you recommend?

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby joecnc2006 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Well after looking at all trailers available, I think i will go with the Tractor Supply trailer, 4x8 1,500 lbs capacity.

here is a link. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... gPage=true

It has 2x2 angle, all welded, so do not have to worry about bolting it up. I guess i will need to add 2"x2" (true 2") bolted to the agle, to get the proper height, then make the subfloor, 5'x10' centered on the 4x8 trailer, with cutouts around wheel areas.

I like the FRP that "Gerdo" used on his Benroy, mine I hope will be a cross between his and mike's Baja Benroy, Both fine examples.

What do you think the largest tires i can use on this trailer? it has 12" 5 lug, can I go upto 13" or 14" with a more agressive tread?

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:29 pm

We built our Baja Benroy on a custom chassis. I think the 4x8 chassis is too small.

If you could do a custom chassis, shoot for 54" wide by 10' long.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joecnc2006 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:39 pm

mikeschn wrote:We built our Baja Benroy on a custom chassis. I think the 4x8 chassis is too small.

If you could do a custom chassis, shoot for 54" wide by 10' long.

Mike...

Well i really like the way your fender flares look, and how your tires are, I'm trying to go that route, as much as possible. the trailer shown above is 48" wide so to make the 54" wide it will just overhang the frame by 3" only and give the slight tire tuck under look like yours. The other advantage is it it a titled trailer and already will have title, so a little easier in the respect.

But i guess i could try to find someone to build me one. All i have is a 120amp welder, and never used it before, or welded before.

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:45 pm

A lot depends on the axle you get.

I have found with a 4x8 HF trailer, when you build out over the wheels you end up with a 66" wide trailer.

When I built out over my 5x10 trailer I ended up being about 78" wide.

In both cases that was building out over a solid style axle with springs. Dexter and/or Southwest Wheel flexiride axles are another story.

You might be better off to decide how wide you want to build, then get the axle, and then build the chassis to fit the axle.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joecnc2006 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:51 pm

will be 60" interior, and 61.5" exterior using 3/4" thick walls.

joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby TheDuke » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Joe:
I had the same problem for the frame of the Skeet'r II. I found a good HF trailer, but after adding freight and delivery, or gas to pick it up, plus messing around with modifications, I decided Mad Jack was right. Design exactly what you need, buy the steel locally and cut the pieces to length, and have a friend come over and weld it. I think you said you had a welder? You're half way there. Unless you have a HF store next door, cost is about the same and you'll have exactly what you need. Just a thought.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby joecnc2006 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:55 pm

TheDuke wrote:Joe:
I had the same problem for the frame of the Skeet'r II. I found a good HF trailer, but after adding freight and delivery, or gas to pick it up, plus messing around with modifications, I decided Mad Jack was right. Design exactly what you need, buy the steel locally and cut the pieces to length, and have a friend come over and weld it. I think you said you had a welder? You're half way there. Unless you have a HF store next door, cost is about the same and you'll have exactly what you need. Just a thought.

TheDuke

I do have a HF store 15 minutes from me, they said they would have the 1750 4x8 trailer this thursday, I just want to make sure of the right choice this week for sure.

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Only you can decide if that is the right chassis for you. I will say that when I build out over a 4x8 I ended up 66" wide...

see here...
http://www.mikenchell.com/WWEH_Photo_Album/

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joecnc2006 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Ok, I believe you are right, better to get a 5x10 trailer for better support.

now i need to find one that is not to expensive.

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby joecnc2006 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Does anyone know where to get the FRP material, a laminate plywood, I have only seen it used on Gerdo's benroy, and wonder why doesn't more people use it or i just have not seen more? It will be the walls, and floor all in one no skins needed as he did. here is a link to his benroy and also a picture of the material.

I think it is a very good idea, granted it will prob cost allot, but less work involved and i believe would be worth it.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... &start=132

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby joecnc2006 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:59 am

joecnc2006 wrote:Does anyone know where to get the FRP material, a laminate plywood, I have only seen it used on Gerdo's benroy, and wonder why doesn't more people use it or i just have not seen more? It will be the walls, and floor all in one no skins needed as he did. here is a link to his benroy and also a picture of the material.

I think it is a very good idea, granted it will prob cost allot, but less work involved and i believe would be worth it.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... &start=132

Joe

Bump.

Anyone with any ideas or sources?

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby Lucky489 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Lucky489
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Member Designs