memeber designin on the road

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:01 am

New build is in the back of my mind. However I have a few things to try on this one. Like overhead cabnets for clothing, may try the axel you folks use and welding it on to the old. with the suspenion in the axel.

If I contiue to use a small car a new frame would be better. and sence that thing with the axel I would want to do like Maxi tear did and have 2 axels. two back or one front and one back. The gypsy type is more likly to flip and the doule axle more heavey on hills. A new vehical is more in line though that would bring down the gas milage. A Rav4 with a 4cyl might not to much.

If I do start a new build It will have a rounder front for the air, and more inside storage. more thought out wiring, cross ventalation, better inside lighing, I might still have a hatch it was nice in the deasert air to have a 3 door open for the night. I overhead vent is in the works too.

I was home Wed. very few really noticed, or remarked on the trailer.
One man did run over to see. got thumbs up by a KOA worker, and showed it off to freinds and the guy who put in the shocks.

Looking at older body Rav4, 4 runner, maybe a chevy asto all with a 4 cyl and an automatic. Have sene several Volvo wagons new and old bodies.

Last I am thinking of welding a new axel below the bixkite with wheels and supspention but the extra weight maybe troublesome.

In conclustion I will keep emproving the one I have while I start drawing out a new body with new more explicit things what will emprove my camping style while increasing my gas milage, reducing the time from the stop to the sleep over.

So mike in conclution to answer your question no I will not be doing my second build as yet. I am still experimenting with this one. I have reality before me and dreams will come again. I rearly got a chance to really relax on this trip. the beroy is nice but the weekender with the raised roof more practical. And did that guy that helped you do a build ever come up with mini trailmanor plans??

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:01 am

minor note, when I designed mine on graph paper (each block = 2"), one thing I took into account was my height... The hatch wound up being quite high when opened, but I went ahead anyway, as I wanted a smallish hatch to keep it light.

On no. 1, the hatch was hard to open with both hands, on a-1, the hatch is easily opened with one hand...

pic on page 13 at bottom.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:27 pm

mikeschn wrote:Ron,

That sounds like a new build to me...

Did you ever consider something like this...

That's the Generic Benroy which is up there in the menu... you know where...

Of course, any generic benroy in this thread would work...

Mike...

P.S. glad to hear you got welded up, and are back on the road again!

Mike you sure like your Benroy's !! :lol:

I have always be attracted to open backed trailers. The wildgoose, that au. trailer you called ugly the Tvan, I have even looked at the hybrid camper trailer with tents out the end, and as you know the Trailmanor with is not open but does offer lower wind resistance to pull and open out like at tent trailer only contained but sells for to much even used.

I am a little closterfobic and I just found out my wife was when se first slept in the trailer but then realized the roof was high and it was ok.

I look for a trailer that offers the tent like environment where you feel the out doors all around you but still have a weather proof roof over head and a high bed vs the ground airmatress to sleep on.

the above choices offer the better of both worlds.
I like new ideas, inventions, design and the like
and if it has .au after it I find they do some cool stuff

Ron 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Back on the road for the SLO Gathering

after adding a overhead cabnet for our clothing which worked offering more room.

We found we carry to much stuff and that the Carolla is to small and we had to jack up the hitch to get the wheel down on the tung.

A taller small SUV would do the trick the gas milage on the car was the best of it.

This time the car bounced more and we realized to much weight was at the back of the trailer. we still have to roll the bed back to fit in all the things we bring and have not quite gotten it down to a science.

the Box in the front now holds the Colman, front rug, DO charcoal and wood.

I need to find a different place for the tire. Like under and behind the axel.

I have also leaned to put something decorative to hang from the back hatch which is a little shorter then I am tall and I have 4 times found myself lying on my back look up at the trailer except the last time I hit the corner and went to the event with a scab above my right eye. know one asked me about it. So I guess it was not that bad. Time to add padding and round the corners.

I have an old shower curtain I hand from the hatch for some privacy from, "this time the Road", . neighbors. and it also can be hooked at the back of the opening so like when we slept in heat we had privacy and stayed cool. I have no vent up top yet but have seen several home made ones that do the job.

so much untill next trip for this thred. And by then new improvements.
working on pixs
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Member Designs